cellulitis

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Has any-one any experience of this?
My ID came in with a fat leg last Sunday, I called the vet who diagnosed cellulitis from a graze on her cannon bone (left hind). He gave her AB injection and anti-inflammatory. Then suggested that his colleague, the horse vet, should look at her Monday. We've had a 5 day course of penicillin, finished yesterday and anti-inflam powders, finished today. We have been cold-hosing twice a day. At first we were pleased with the progress as the swelling went down quite quickly and she was walking more comfortably.
However tonight the fetlock joint seems to be stiff until she gets going, the graze is still oozing serum and the cannon is still swollen, although not as much as previously but definitely not back to normal.
She has been out in a small pen with a very placid companion, since Monday evening.
I will ring the vet in the morning but was wondering if any-one has any experience of cellulitis and how quickly I should expect the leg to be back to normal.

Ginger Bear

Visit site
Our mare has had cellulitis twice from mud fever and it can take ages to get completely back to normal. Even after the antibiotics it was swollen for a very long time. I wouldn't worry too much.

anj789

Visit site
My mare is quite prone to this - any little cut on her hind legs blows - and you really need to get the swelling down as quickly as possible or it can affect the tissue structure. I'd be concerned if it's still really fat after a couple of days but it sounds like you're over the worst, it should go back to normal as it heals. It's quite pricey, but a handy tube I've found for the first aid kit is Flamazine. It's used for burns victims but can save a vet visit if you smother the wide area with the stuff preferably before it blows. See if vet will let you keep a packet of antibiotic powders & some bute for emergencies too so you catch it before it blows next time. Obviously some things need a vet straight off but I think once they've had cellulitis it's fairly likely they'll get it again and even a graze can start it off...

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Thanks for that!
It has made me feel a bit better. She is right outside the window, I've been at home all day and I've been watching her every move - she's lying down atm.

We've only just got her back to normal after realising that a glucosamine supplement was making her very anxious. There's always something.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Anj789 - yes she's over the worst I would say but I am a bit concerned that as the swelling has not gone right down, it could flare up again, especially as it is still oozing.
Thanks for the flamazine tip, although I don't like the idea that she might be prone to it. I will certainly be keeping a close eye on any slight mark in future. She has had a few cuts and grazes lately as she and the Westphalian are constantly jockeying for position.

Marydoll

Visit site
Cellulitis is best not mucked about with tbh, i think youre right getting the vet out again, it is extremely painful and you may need more antibiotics and anti inflammatorys to really knock it on the head

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Yes, Marydoll, that's what I'm thinking. I shall certainly ring the vet in the morning. I think she is still improving but more slowly now. She's not lying down for as long each time, or as many times in the day.

Jesstickle

Visit site
Mine gets it all the time. Really, at least three times a year (sensitive TB, gets it from scratches so tiny you can't even see them)

5 days of trim and a couple of days of bute plus turnout and cold hosing usually see it off although the swelling probably takes about a week to ten days to disappear completely. She never seems overly bothered by it and so far it hasn't ever been a problem so I don't worry about it too much. Just phone the vet for my box of trim and get the hose pipe out!

Marydoll

Visit site
Cellulitis if not gotten under control is painful and can be really debilitating.
If the swelling is allowed to continue and the bacteria continue to multiply it can cause damage to the underlying structures, your horse has never had it before from what you say, treat your horse as an individual, and if you feel you need to speak to or get your vet out do So.
Some horses can react way worse than others to a cellulitis, treat it with caution and advice from your vet.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Thanks for your help/advice every-one. I rang the vet earlier this morning and am going to collect another 5 days' worth of treatment. If I am still concerned at the end of that, the vet will need to come out again.
This morning the leg is a little less swollen than yesterday but is obviously still uncomfortable/painful. Walking gets easier the further she goes, although she obviously needs encouragement to take more than a few steps. The wound is still oozing gunk. Although not happy at being split from 2 of her usual companions, she is bright enough in herself, so although I'm concerned that this hasn't cleared up as quickly as it could have, I'm not panicking about her.
marydoll, you are quite right, she has lost weight this week, although the quiet elderly companion has put some on. She has plenty of surplus though, so again, I'm not panicking yet.