CH5 6.30 RSPCA 'trainee inspectors' tonight

reynold

Visit site
yet another reality TV show - supposed to be following trainee RSPCA inspectors

might watch just to see what they actually ARE taught about horse welfare.......

Shilasdair

Patting her thylacine
Visit site
In my experience, they are often ex police or bunny hugging types who don't know much about horses, but we shall see!

It's a bit frightening that the police are absolving themselves of animal welfare responsibility by passing the buck to bodies with dubious knowledge or quals....in my humble opinion.

Not that I've had any bother with either police or RSPCA etc...in case you think that. I'm just naturally bitter!
S
laugh.gif

Magicmillbrook

Visit site
Ohh thats harsh - I have nothing but respect and admiration for both RSPCA and ILPH field officers, they do a fab job, and get loads of grief for quite frankly not enough money. It is horrifying that animal welfare is left to charitable organisations, however with more and more legislation being brought in and no extra funds to enable enforcement what do we expect!

Capriole

Visit site
mostly the experiences ive had with the rspca have left me with little time for them unfortunately, although i did report a welfare case last year and the situation did seem to improve somewhat.

reynold

Visit site
when it comes to horses the ILPH beats the RSPCA hands down in my view

cats and dogs - the RSPCA are OK but I rate the Blue Cross and PDSA as just as good.

rabbits and g.pigs, etc - RSPCA are fine

farm animals - and that includes poultry - and I've taken in a fair number from them that needed homes, cockerels, etc - the RSPCA basically don't know what to do with them

the fact that the officers are 'paid little' is not a factor. Most people that choose to work with animals - in lots of spheres - accept that they will not earn as much as if they did a nice boring indoors office job driving a computer.

Sarah_Jane

Visit site
I have to say I have no time for the RSPCA although I am sure there is the odd good officer and people in the organisation that do a good job. My views are tainted as I reported my neighbour for cruelty when he let a laminitic pony get in a terrible state that it could barely move. It feet were also starting to grow over. Mr neighbour is an RSPCA inspector and the charity closed ranks aroound him claimig it was properly treated - this was backed up by a vet that gets all the RSPCA's work!!! There have been plenty of other issues with all his animals, another pony broke a leg when the a badly fitting too large rug was put on. I could on for ages but better not!

nuffield

Visit site
I've recently adopted a rescue pony from the RSPCA.
I have to say that they were wonderful, matching up the pony with what I was looking for to fit in with my small herd.
nothing but praise there.
I am an ILPH supporter and do think of them in the first instance if I see a neglected pony though.

Fantasy_World

Visit site
I too have little faith in the RSPCA and so far as the inspectors not being paid much for what they do well it's the same for the majority of workers in the UK who are under paid for the jobs they do.
As far as I am concerned all people who decide to do 'paid' work within an animal charity or welfare organisation should do it first and foremost to help animals in need. Secondly to educate the uneducated about animal welfare and thirdly as a means to earn a wage in order to provide a roof over one's head.
Yes the ILPH is a far better welfare organisation to deal with horses and other equines. Although I also believe that some of the smaller charities do very well under the circumstances ie by not having as much publicity and therefore incoming funds as the more well known charities.
I don't have much faith in the RSPCA with regard to dealing with any animal personally be it a pet, wild animal or livestock.
I have seen more empathetic care from smaller charities and voluntary groups towards animals - in particular wild ones - compared to the likes of the RSPCA.
Yes there may be a few good individuals within the RSPCA however these people become lost within an organisation that at times has very questionable objectives towards animal welfare.
I would much rather place my faith in a smaller voluntary welfare group or animal hospital to care for any wild animal I had found than report it to the likes of the RSPCA and hope it 'may' be dealt with properly and empathetically.