chaff

allijudd

Visit site

a few quick questions......
how much chaff do people use?

would you buy it in 5kg sacks, 10 kg or 25?

would you buy a chaff with nothing added ie no mollasses or added extras?

Frazer

Visit site
Mine has, 2 scoops of chaff in 2 feeds a day and we buy it in 10 or 25kg packs! I would buy with added extras, which ment you wouldn't have to feed as many supplements.

lennysmith

Visit site
I use Hi fi lite for Josie.

She has a small handful twice a day with her vit/mins in. She also gets a big bucket of it for lunch when she's in during the day in winter. It's lower in sugar than hay and takes longer to eat too.

She is VERY prone to weight gain, but finally we are getting there. For this reason I would never buy anything with molasses added although the ones with the herbs etc smell lovely.
grin.gif
Oh and also if it had the correct amount of vit/mins so i ddin't have to add extras, that'd be great!

allijudd

Visit site
josie...you are the sort of person we would want to target..ie...with nothing added just as a base platform for you to add your own supplements to control what your horse is eating.....

Christmas_Kate

Visit site
Mine has honey chop chaff. nothing else, as he's a good doer, and he only has a couple of handfuls mainly as a 'reward' for coming in, doing work etc. I just use the cheap stuff and all the horses I've seen on it seem to do fine.

lennysmith

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
josie...you are the sort of person we would want to target..ie...with nothing added just as a base platform for you to add your own supplements to control what your horse is eating.....

[/ QUOTE ]

Cool. It really is the only way I can feed the fat one. She had to come off the stud cubes when D was only 8 weeks old as she got soooo huge and went really too cresty for my liking. It's a good way to feed to I think, if you can. I know she gets all her vits and mins as I add the right amount. I know she has no molasses so her weight is monitored. I also like the fact I can use it as a hay replacer. Really she's fed how nature intended, fibre fibre and more fibre
grin.gif

Christmas_Kate

Visit site
just that, of a good quality. The stuff I use is about a fiver a sack, and it's fab. One of the ponies on it was 3rd at PUK finals. To have something basic to add what you need to it is ideal for most owners.
Take mine for instance, he is 12hh 3yo and ATM very overweight. As a welshX kids pony I don't want anything that will add weight or make him fizzy. I still need to give him a token feed so basic chaff is my only real option. He doesnt need filling up, and at the moment he doesnt need any vits as he's getting all he needs and is in perfect health otherwise. I like to know what is going into a pony.
If you could do a good quality non dusty chaff, and also do options to add whatever to it, you could have yourself a good market. Also, many feed merchants charge a fortune for delivery unless you order loads (which most of us don't need....a bag would last me weeks), so no minimum order would probably attract customers too.

allijudd

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
If you could do a good quality non dusty chaff, and also do options to add whatever to it, you could have yourself a good market. Also, many feed merchants charge a fortune for delivery unless you order loads (which most of us don't need....a bag would last me weeks), so no minimum order would probably attract customers too.

[/ QUOTE ]

we would actuially want to get it into feed merchants (but that would be a long way off!)...but i came up with the idea of smaller bags due to the fact that you wont waste so much and there wouldnt be dates on it...so no vitamin depletion etc etc...

we just wanted to know what quantities people would want..

we have been feeding romes our own chaff for over a year now and he looks great on it...completes our jumpcross course tec etc although i do add mollasess when he needs a little extra...but i cna control that amount....

Christmas_Kate

Visit site
well, for those of us who only have one to feed, it's gotta be the smaller size. But do remember that people have to carry the sacks, so the normal sized ones are the biggest they will buy, you have to empty them into feed bins.

Prudence

Visit site
I think that is a great idea - the sacks on the market atm NEVER fit into feed bins.... unless of course you have the mahousive metal bins!

Also, as so often, only a little chaff is fed, it can go funny and musty fairly quickly!

Clodagh

Visit site
Just plain oat straw and hay would be great. I have got a welsh A who I give supplements to and nothing else. At the mo hes on hi fi as ned has that too, but she only has it so the pony nuts don't get sucked down in one mouthful.
The bag MUST fit into a standard feed bin! Dengie ones drive me mad!
Good luck.