Chains...

Festive_Felicitations

Visit site
This is a totally random question:

Does anyone / no one have and/or use chains on their cars in all the snow and ice? Well haven't seen any in pics.
In Chile going up to the snow to Ski they were mandatory beyond a certain point and very helpful! OK your top speed is seriously reduced but they help so much. Meant that our 2WD citroen could get up and down the mountain safely along with all the 4WD's.

Just a wondering, they may be some very logical reason why you don't. :)

Lakelandcross

Visit site
From my experience (years ago) they are only any good for driving on snow that they can 'cut into'. They would be fine if you had to drive on an uncleared road from a to b but most journeys involve cleared and uncleared roads so you would have to keep putting them on and taking them off (or drive very slowly). It's bad enough in my 4x4 on roads that are partly cleared, I have to keep stopping to take it out of 4wd because the next stretch of road has been cleared and engage 4wd when I get to the next uncleared section. At least that doesn't involve getting in and out of the car.

A friend put some on their car during the recent 'white out' in Scotland but they were still unable to get anywhere because all the other cars around them were unable to move.