Challenge......Oldest rider to hang up their stirrups??

RainbowDash

Visit site
Hi,

Today has been a good one. (later off wasn't too good - but that's a different thread).

Took new pony out for a snow free ride with our yards wonderful veterans - lady of 71 and her lovely horse of 30ish. Everyone loves them both and our lovely lady used to ride with an older lady of 92 until she hung up her stirrups.

Absolute inspiration.

Just wondered whether there where any older riders out there - personally i'm aiming to still be riding well into my 100's - long way off yet so can't earn that rosette yet. :D

Bikerchickone

Visit site
A chap on a yard I used to be at was in his eighties and still going strong with a very hard to handle stroppy mare! She decided where they went and how fast and he just hung on for the ride so to speak. Seemed like they were both having fun though so I guess that's all that counts. :)

RainbowDash

Visit site
The lovely lady at my yard only started riding in her 50's and gives the youngsters a run for their money. Her boy used to hunt in his younger days and every so often forgets she's 30 odd and takes her for a gallop - she's loves every minute of it......:D

WeedySeaDragon

Visit site
She's not that old yet but after a break of over 30 years my mum is just about to start riding again :D My dad is buying her some lessons for her 60th which is next month.

Hopefully she'll be bitten by the bug completely and will carry on for a good while yet. This will be 3 generations of our family in the saddle at once, I got my niece hooked last September!!

soulfull

Visit site
yep my friend is 70 this year, still rides most days including 15 mile fun rides including jumps. She's amazing!!

she doesn't do SJ or DR anymore cos she can't remember where to go :D

her daughter is a HH member but not sure how often she posts.... HI :p

finkle

Visit site
My mums, friends, partner..is still riding and hunting and is 81 shortly! Still hacks out daily..how amazing is that!

luckyoldme

Visit site
i like this thread ..some lovely stories.
On a more sarcastic note though can anyone remember the infamous mr macateer (irish dealer)...well all his horses had been ridden by 74 year olds!:D

wodanbrlam

New User
Visit site
5.derry.gif

4.6993.gif

Oops didn't see that bit! Will try harder tomorrow

TritTrot

Visit site
My old Landlords are nearly 80 and still riding.

Landlady is Danish and has more grace and style than most top riders going round today. She broke her leg last year and it was really nasty - screws and all and she started riding again long before the doctors gave her the all clear. She is amazing!

The Landlord is an old colonel and rides like a proper, old fashionned hunter. He tells lots of stories too for example when his wife broke her leg, he started telling the paramedics the story of when he came off hunting in the middle of nowhere and they had to use an old gate as a stretcher... Much to the annoyance of his wife!

They are legends!!!!

Boxers

Visit site
A gentleman in our hunt is 85 and hunts twice a week and rides his horse out for exercise on other days too. he has ridden with our hunt for over 60 years I believe and was the Master at one time.

In fact, there is an article about him in the latest edition of Hounds Magazine.

QueenOfCadence

Visit site
Knew a gentleman once who use to stable at the same yard as we do, he was in his late 80s and rode until the day he died (literally). Died from having a stroke in the arena, slipped off of his horse and was found dead - with his horse patiently waiting for him to get up :(

Ancient Hacker

Visit site
She's not that old yet but after a break of over 30 years my mum is just about to start riding again :D My dad is buying her some lessons for her 60th which is next month.

Hopefully she'll be bitten by the bug completely and will carry on for a good while yet. This will be 3 generations of our family in the saddle at once, I got my niece hooked last September!!

FABULOUS that your mum is starting again, and great that she has you and your neice to encourage her. I had the same kind of "gap" as your mum and, believe me, the passion for horses all comes flooding back. I'm a couple of years younger than her but I found the confidence issue quite a challenge (still do :eek:) I wish your mum a joyful return to the saddle, and long may she enjoy it!

Peegeesmum

Visit site
Knew a gentleman once who use to stable at the same yard as we do, he was in his late 80s and rode until the day he died (literally). Died from having a stroke in the arena, slipped off of his horse and was found dead - with his horse patiently waiting for him to get up :(

What a lovely way to go,doing what you love the most.

Mrs B

Visit site
My Mum rode until her death aged 80 - she was talking about getting another pony just before she died (she lost her last one the year before when he was 29).

She and I used to ride together most days and I well remember her 75th birthday - her pony was 25 so they went for a joint 100th-year celebratory hack :D

MrsHutt

Visit site
We have quite a few 'older' ladies at our yard, well into their 60s, some still competing. The oldest is nigh on 80 and still riding out 3 times a week and having weekly lessons. She told me this morning that she did a little jump the other day - and was thrilled to bits :D

She is a bit worried at the moment as she goes into hospital for a minor joint op tomorrow and wonders if she will be able to cope afterwards. She will get lots of support at the yard, though so fingers crossed!

Not that I am any spring chicken - got my first horse at 51 and figure we will probably retire about the same time, with luck!

Amaranta

Visit site
There used to be a lady who ran a riding school near me, she religiously went for a hack each morning, I believe she was 88 but she used to lie about her age and say she was 80 bless her!

I believe Delia Cunningham also rode well into her 80s and was competing into her 70s - a real inspiration :)

sazzle44

Visit site
There's a lady I ride for who's coming up for 70 in a couple of years. She's just asked me to help her start backing her very nice 3yr old WB. He'll be hitting 16"2 quite soon and is a spirited so-and-so. Of course, when I made the assumption I'd be getting on first I got a strict telling off because, obviously, she'll be the one doing the riding, I'm there to hold the lead rope :rolleyes: :eek:
And I'm hoping my mum won't be hanging up her boots too soon, I'm expecting her to work my kids ponies as she's the perfect size for a 12"2 ;)

Kallibear

Visit site
For a while my mum (nearly 60 herself) was riding a friends little old pony (who was 32yrs old) because it's normal rider had gone into hospital for a hip replacement. He was 95 :D She only rode for a couple of month because the old gentleman wanted his horse back :D

The old gentleman died a year later and the pony retired, and died 6months later :(

Rose Folly

Visit site
I'll be 67 in April but no intention of giving up. (I've got to beat my father, who hunted until he was 82 and rode until he was 84). I always think he only died when he did because his horse died, and he lost all heart.

I creak in vevery bone, and you wouldn't want to look when I get on and off, but I still love it, and even if I get to the point where I can't ride I'll still have horses around. they and our dogs keep me going.

But most of all it's the encouragement and kindness I get from other, younger riders that is so wonderful. I may cramp their style sometimes but they never, ever show it, and I so appreciate it.

PeterNatt

s68.photobucket.com
One of the inspirations to own my own horse was an elderly ex-military Polish officer who used to ride his large 16.2 grey gelding (Sylvester) around the streets of North London and he used to jump the benches on Hampstead Heath. Sadly his horse died many years ago and I don't know what happened to him. He use to drive large old fashioned American Cars.
I also remember when hacking out through Wallington about 10 years ago meeting an elderly couple on their large horses and neither of them where wearing riding hats - the lady wearing a head scarf. (Must have been very much old school) Never saw them again.

AndreaB71

Visit site
A lady at my yard is in her seventies. She cycles nearly two miles to the farm every day to ride out with a couple friends. A couple of months ago, she was knocked off her bike by a lorry and ended up in hospital, but she is now back in the saddle (both horse and bike).

Allie5

Visit site
When i was doing pc area eventing i had an absolute harridan of a dressage trainer. She was 88 and weighed about 6 stone soaking wet! I was about 15 and a typical huffy teenager. One memorable lesson she threw the cheese toastie she was eating at me because she said I was being lazy! Another time I was having real dramas with my pony (14.2 full tb who never made his proper height due to neglect as a youngster. Seriously talented but quirky and a bit of a drama queen!) and trainer and I were arguing. I was adamant I was finishing because pony was being such a tit. She was telling me I had to ride him through the tantrums. So in typical teenage fashion I pouted and said well you bloody do it. So she did! Mounted gracefully from the ground, clamped her tiny little bird legs round pony and ignored his tantrums. Within ten mins he was sailing round the school perfectly! I was suitably humbled and never ever argued with her again! She was an absolute legend and I owe her so much. She died aged 93 after having a heart attack in the field walking to get her youngster in. They found her with all the young horses round her body. Perfect way to go I think.