Chance of a lifetime or too big a risk?

fishy

Visit site
Sorry its a long one, but I'll try and keep it to the bare bones! I keep my horses on DIY livery on a medium/large livery yard (approx 30 horses), we have limited summer turnout, very limited winter turnout (a muddy paddock) a small all weather school and are fairly close to the bridleways. I'm not happy with the turnout situation but the yard is fairly close to home and my o/h is not horsey so it keeps him happy. I have been offered stables on a small private yard, with a large school and fairly close to bridleways, its a bit further away but has summer and winter turnout.

Sounds like an easy choice? but the yard requires some work, a couple of leaking rooves, an overgrown school - weeds everywhere and fencing repairs to the fields. I have been assured these would be done, but the Y/O is not someone I know well and I'm a bit concerned that he may be just saying these things.

So my dilemma is should I stay, better the devil you know (I've been there for 3 years) or should I go and take a risk?!

Polotash

Visit site
I can't say, but just bear in mind that if maintenance will be your responsibility once you are there it is a BIG committement. Grassland management alone, weedkilling, topping, fertilising etc, is a lot of work in itself.

Also, think about back up if you are ill/ on holiday/ away with work?

zaminda

Visit site
Personally I would move. Are there other people there? And is the long term upkeep your responsibility? For me your current turnout situation is far from ideal, and you will probably save the money you will use on extra fuel on bedding that you won't be using!
Good luck

mandwhy

Visit site
How many people can fit on the new yard and is anyone else there already? Do you like having a lot of other people around or tend to do your own thing anyway?

It sounds like the new one might land you with some new responsibilities or just having to politely pester about things, if there are a few other people there it might be nice though!

fishy

Visit site
The yard has 8 stables and I potentially have someone who is willing to move on. I am not 100% sure but believe the upkeep will be down to the yard owner, I will clarify this with him. I don't mind being on a small yard I usually ride on my own anyway and am quite looking forward to the peace and quiet! I would want the works to be completed before I moved. I want whats best for my horses really. If they are happy I'm sure I will be x