Change farrier or sell pony?

katymay

Visit site
Why oh why, just when I feel I am getting somewhere do I take a massive step back? I posted before Christmas about the unruly youngster I had purchased that was basically a ticking time bomb, go forwards a few months, lots of sweat and tears and I felt I was finally getting somewhere, the bond was growing. one of the main issues I had was picking up his back feet, he instantly pulled away and attempted to cow kick, so rather than battle with him I just spent the time grooming, getting to know him and trusting each other, and now I can pick up all four feet with no issues, I don't even have to tie him up as he loves the pampering. He hasn't seen the farrier since November (with old owner who reported no issues) and seemed to be self trimming in the field really well, but needed to get the little fat one trimmed so thought I would get the youngster done at the same time, he was a nightmare! started off okay, seemed a little unbalanced and was trying to pull his front foot away, rather than the farrier letting him have a few minutes to regain balance he refused to let go which then culminated in an almighty battle between the two of them with youngster rearing up to get his foot back, managed to calm him down and we progressed onto the backs, youngster decided he was having none of this and once he had pulled his foot back proceeded to turn his backside and kick the farrier :( despite the handler (poor hubby as I was holding the fat one) trying to keep his head turned to prevent him turning his back it happened quite a few more time with me becoming more and more concerned for the farriers life! eventually we managed to get it done and he was quite calm. Now I have had issues with another pony and this farrier who I eventually got re-schooled and sold on as he become more and more naughty and nervous. I am wondering whether I should try another farrier in case its the fight he isn't enjoying as its just winding him up and causing him to fight back? what are your thoughts? thank you x

nix123

Visit site
If you like him (the horse that is) and you think there could be a future with the two of you, then yes its definitely worth trying another farrier espically as you have had issues with your current one in the past with another horse.

Peregrine Falcon

Looking forward to drier days
Visit site
Is the farrier prepared to work with your pony? Are you happy with the farrier? Could you just perhaps just have him pick his feet up and not actually do anything to them until he is more relaxed. If it's taken you a while to gain his trust then maybe he needs time with someone else too?

Arizahn

Visit site
I tried three different farriers before I found one that my chap gets along with. All three had very different approaches to handling, and every horse/pony is different, so I would try finding a different farrier in case this is the case :)

To be clear, my pony gets on best with very calm and quiet handling, and would not settle for anyone who was loud or who shoved. He too is young and still getting the whole balancing thing figured out, but does not kick. He is fine to have his feet picked up and picked out by me and my husband, just wary around strangers.

Exploding Chestnuts

Visit site
I have not read the whole lot, does he need trimming behind..... which is not so likely
what is the problem that he needs trimming?
ask farrier for advice.

katymay

Visit site
I have not read the whole lot, does he need trimming behind..... which is not so likely
what is the problem that he needs trimming?
ask farrier for advice.

I just presumed that all barefooters needed a trim now and again? he isn't doing any road work as he isn't backed yet and was looking a little long, Farrier just feels that he wants a fight and it seems neither of them will back down! I think I would like to try someone else in case that is the issue, even my little fatty who is usually good as gold was feeling a little wound up by the time it was his turn :(

Arizahn

Visit site
I just presumed that all barefooters needed a trim now and again? he isn't doing any road work as he isn't backed yet and was looking a little long, Farrier just feels that he wants a fight and it seems neither of them will back down! I think I would like to try someone else in case that is the issue, even my little fatty who is usually good as gold was feeling a little wound up by the time it was his turn :(

Er, I rather doubt that your pony wanted a fight, otherwise the farrier would not have won! Change farrier.

Also, mine has very little growth even on his fronts. He gets a quick rasp to smooth out any rough edges but nothing actually trimmed off. He is rising two.

be positive

Visit site
I am just going outside so will get back to you later with the number of a good farrier who, I think, will cover your area, he is quiet and will take the time required to let the pony settle, your chap sounds as if he is rushing and starting a fight that is not really needed, your other pony just needed time to pick his feet up if he was rushed he panicked and lifted the wrong one it may be that the farrier is confusing this one too.

amandap

Visit site
It depends how much you like your horse v how much you like your farrier!

Personally I would find a new and sensitive (to the horse) farrier who will help the horse rather than fight with him! You really don't want to end up with a horse that sees farriers as adversaries and come to expect a full on fight!
Being macho has no place in hoof work imho.

katymay

Visit site
I am just going outside so will get back to you later with the number of a good farrier who, I think, will cover your area, he is quiet and will take the time required to let the pony settle, your chap sounds as if he is rushing and starting a fight that is not really needed, your other pony just needed time to pick his feet up if he was rushed he panicked and lifted the wrong one it may be that the farrier is confusing this one too.

Thank you, that would be very helpful, the whole thing this morning was very rushed and I would really like to have a farrier that is much more patient especially as I know that pony can happily pick all four feet up!

katymay

Visit site
It depends how much you like your horse v how much you like your farrier!

Personally I would find a new and sensitive (to the horse) farrier who will help the horse rather than fight with him! You really don't want to end up with a horse that sees farriers as adversaries and come to expect a full on fight!
Being macho has no place in hoof work imho.

totally agree, and have found with most horses / ponies fighting just gets you in more trouble :(