Change of ownership

ktj1891

Visit site
Okay so I have had my boy two years now and never gotten around to changing his passport.
He's an ex racer so obviously Wetherby's. Someone told me it is a legal requirement to change ownership within 30 days. On the form it has date of ownership, would I be okay to write the actualy date purchased or would I have to make it out within the 30 day requirement?

Also I am slightly confused as to where to send the form back to, is it the address at the bottom of the form?

Antw23uk

Visit site
I could do- but its been two years now and I obviously don't want to get into trouble from it.

Seriously a phone call will tell you all you need to know. You dont have to give them your name or anything, you are just asking a question. I doubt the SAS will come crashing through your windows the second you put the phone down! :p

ktj1891

Visit site
What just ring and ask how soon ownership has to be changed, if so it says on the from within 30 days. Hence, I am asking whats the best thing to do?

Sprocket123

Visit site
Yes im wetherbys too :) im going to call this afternoon and ask (when my lil terrors have gone to their dads so i can have a nice quiet phonecall :D!)

Rollin

Visit site
Okay so I have had my boy two years now and never gotten around to changing his passport.
He's an ex racer so obviously Wetherby's. Someone told me it is a legal requirement to change ownership within 30 days. On the form it has date of ownership, would I be okay to write the actualy date purchased or would I have to make it out within the 30 day requirement?

Also I am slightly confused as to where to send the form back to, is it the address at the bottom of the form?

When you purchase a horse you should notify the PIO, the body which issued the passport. On my CBHS passports there is a page with a list of owners, the vendor should enter the name and address of the purchaser, sign and date it, purchaser should then send the passport to the PIO, so that change of ownership can be registered.

The UK is sloppy in its adiministration of passports and no longer has a Database. We have lost many CB's for this reason.

In France. unless you are shown as the registered owner on the National Equine Database SIRE, you can do nothing with your horse, save hack it out.

You cannot compete, breed from or even now obtain lab tests if your horse does not have up to date registration.

Passtheshampoo

Visit site
I think it would be better to send passport back to Wetherbys with appropria te fee and put the correct date of purchase. After all it must be a minority of new owners who actually get round to changing ownership within the 30 days. I've had my mare since July and know it needs doing asap. I'm never asked for my passport when my horses are being treated by my vet and havn't signed to they are are not to be used for human consumption, I think that's far worse a 'crime'. Passports are a waste of time and money IMO. At least my horses have a passport.

ossy

Visit site
I've had my horse for 3 years and i've never changed mine, shes going back to her old owner at the end of the month so that saves doing that. I sold my Wetherbys registered broodmare 4 years ago and I had never changed her passport to my name in the 2 years I had her. I don't think its something thats going to get you more than a slap on the wrist (if that)so I'd just get it done with the correct dates.

Black_Horse_White

Visit site
I've been lucky as most of my passports were with the passport agency, and you can do it online and they just send you a sticker with your name on to stick in the appropriate box, job done! :)

catherine22

Visit site
I did my TB ex racer mare's in December as she was going on loan. I bought her over 18 months ago, I put the date I actually purchased her and sent the form off and everything was fine

ktj1891

Visit site
Yes im wetherbys too :) im going to call this afternoon and ask (when my lil terrors have gone to their dads so i can have a nice quiet phonecall :D!)

Okay, I will write the correct purchase date. Let me know what they say to you. I just completely didnt really think about it before. Its only now in my head as someone mentioned it to me.

corbleu

Visit site
Wetherby's are pretty approachable, if you just phone and ask them the procedure they'll be happy to help I'm sure. Usually it's just a matter of sending it in to them with the relevant fee - there's an address in the front of some of mine, it's in the back of the others but if you ask them they'll advise you. Just explain you were unaware that you needed to change it within thirty days and do some grovelling am sure it'll be fine. There's plenty of people that either don't bother to change them or don't bother to have them at all, at least you're making the effort now you're aware of it

sywell

Visit site
The horseburgers at supermarkets are the reason for a horse passport as it is a drug control document and someone will start asking soon have the section IX been signed off in the passports and all of a sudden this becomes a much more serious problem. The change of ownership and the date it took place could be a serious issue in the case of a prosecution as you need to prove the date the ownership changed to show someone else was responsible for the offence. I agree that DEFRA has failed to get at least 10% of horse owners to get a passport and he cancellation of NED was a mistake.

ladyt25

Visit site
I did this a couple of months back as I had had my youngster 2 years and again, just didn't get round to doing it - changed chip details but not the passport. The previous owners never changed it to their name either!

I just filled in the form and sent it and the passport off with the cheque and had it back withon about a week, updated (Weatherbys passport as well by the way). Never even bothered ringing and I just filled in the correct details. Don't even remember if they ask you the purchase date? Anyway, if it did I would have put the true date.

Just send it off, honestly it's very straightforward.

ktj1891

Visit site
Okay I will just couple friends said is illegal unless you do it within 30 days and you can get in trouble.

gracenarchie

Visit site
My mare;s was over 2 years!!!( very lax admin!!) so don;t panic :)

I put the correct purchase date and covering letter with corrcet fee for change of ownership to SHGB, the whoe change of name process just took about 10 days longer as because I had left it so long - but was claiming ownership since say 1-1-2010 the passport isuer ( SHGB in my case) just wrote to the last reg'd owner to confirm the details - she confirmed and I then got passport returned fully updated with my details.

but honestly just give wetherby's a call - can 100% guarantee you will not be the first to go over the 30 days by quite a significant margin!!:)
also my youngester is reg'd wetherbys and they were delightful to deal with when I phoned initially with a few Q's about his passport.

hope you get it sorted
x

PandorasJar

Visit site
They really won't care. Phone up and talk to them. We have two which weren't ours but owner died (over a year earlier) they asked for death cert and letter stating that and werent fussed on time at all.