changing a horse's name - is it really bad luck?

atot

Visit site
Oh I like Castana, and Cassie is a nice short name.
smile.gif

atot

Visit site
I don't mind brownie, its a sweet but she IS brown, so I just see it as her colour rather than a nice choccie brownie, which would be a far better association
grin.gif

f_s_

Visit site
Don't believe that it is bad luck to change a name!
grin.gif
grin.gif

Have changed some of ours, and some we've left as they are
grin.gif
grin.gif

I would hate to have an animal with a name I didn't like, or didn't suit them
smile.gif

We tend to have a bit of a theme going on names at the minute, and I don't "do" human names for animals!!
grin.gif
grin.gif

Puddock

Visit site
A brownie is also supposedly a type of elf:

Brownie

• noun (pl. Brownies) 1 (Brit. also Brownie Guide) a member of the junior branch of the Guides Association. 2 (brownie) a small square of rich chocolate cake. 3 (brownie) a benevolent elf supposedly doing housework secretly.
grin.gif

Angua2

Visit site
I changed Ru's name, but only very slightly. She originally was called Rusty, I didn't think it suited and Since I tended to call her Ru changed the last bit of the name so she became Ruby. (I didn't think I would get away with Rubarb!)

I like the name bronwyn by the way!

miss_c

Visit site
Genie's previous owners changed her name (from Scooter, which is more of a boy's name), and I think it brought them bad luck, as they sold her to me and she's turned into a cracker!

However I assume it is just a superstition, although I dunno if I personally would do it... We have an Eric and a Bruce on the yard, and it the names actually do kinda suit them...

Ranyhyn

Visit site
I changed my old horses name. When I bought him he was called Maverick, which I didn't like, so changed to Murphy. Never had any bad luck with him.

Bought a horse called Jester,changed to it Chester, never had any bad luck with him either.

Bought a horse called Charlie, left it at Charlie - had lots of bad luck with him!! LOL

My current horse called Ed, kept as Ed. He's the best horse I have ever owned.

I think the moral of my story is, luck (good or bad) is just that. Luck.

Sarah Sum1

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Oh so if a horse has a passport and a dodgy name in it, do you have to use that as it's show name? or can you have what stable name and what show name you like anyway?
confused.gif
Confuses me
grin.gif

ETA coz all horses should have passports now, isn't that the law?

[/ QUOTE ]

Does anyone know the answer to this please?
grin.gif

D

Donkeymad

Of course it is not bad luck, that is just an old wives tail. And yes, I have done it
grin.gif