Changing farrier after 10yrs :(

SNORKEY

Visit site
I really like my farrier, he always turns up early, is cheaper than others as we have been long term customers and is a nice guy.
But last year my horse kept going hoping lame, after X-rays and a day at the vets, they could only find that his feet were in a bad way, and he was way to long in the toe with no heel. So my farrier has since been just cutting the toe and put natural balance shoes on. He's now sound but his feet still look long. Also we have an unshod ish and a young cob, both their feet are looking worse Since we first hot them. Every time I politely point out that their feet are sloping a lot, but he says its their natural shape. Even after a recent trim there's a bend and slope to them! I hate the idea of not being loyal and trying to find a reliable farrier but should I ditch him or be honest with him first?

_GG_

Visit site
How often does he improve his skills by going on workshops and keeping up with new methods/theories?

I wouldn't hesitate to change, but I would be very nice and explain it to my farrier and probably say a huge thank you for the last 10 years.

I would do that just because I think it it is much more helpful to be nice when dosing out criticism...it may just get listened to that way. If you just stop using him or don't tell him why, he won't know to improve for other clients.

SNORKEY

Visit site
Thanks, that's true. Its just farriers I've had in the past don't bother turning up, and done of my friends pay £70 a set and I only pay £40. I think next time he comes il have more of an honest chat with him about the shape of their feet, and see what he says.

Mistywoo

Visit site
We have been in your shoes. Had the same situation. Our farrier of many years was failing to do a proper job. All of our horses were negatively affected, and we noticed increased lameness, abscesses, fairly spectacular cracks appearing and all sorts. I tried asking questions, asking if things were right, if there were problems, could we be feeding anything to help and all the polite questions. I just got the fob off "just their shape", "all horses hooves look like this", "every-things got an abscess at the moment" responses which quickly became aggressive and patronising. At that point I bit the bullet, sacked him and changed. The new farrier came out and all my horses were at least 2 inches shorter a few trims later and new farrier was horrified by the state of my horses hooves. I'm glad I sorted it out, and whilst I understand how hard is is when you have been trusting/employing someone for many years, at the end of the day do what is best for the horse.

YasandCrystal

Visit site
I would personally ask your vet's opinion on your horse's foot balance. If you have to have a conversation with your farrier about how he does your horse's feet then I for one wouldn't be using him. Think of a farrier as you would your dentist - would you be happy if you had to question the size or roughness of a filling everytime he treated you?
And as for cost it sounds like you are getting what you pay for -I find it astounding that any farrier in the UK can possibly afford to work for £40 a set.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Same ^^!! Over five years ago, I was paying more than £60 for a full set! Cheap and with good reason! Change, I'd have no loyalty to someone doing a bad job.

Gerdy

Visit site
£40 a set!!!

Sadly, i think you usually get what you pay for...

£65 + is the cheapest you get round here!

Archiepoo

Visit site
im going through the exact same thing and weve tried talking to the farrier again and again but he refuses to listen ,when i got my horse year ago he had really fab feet and theyve really changed shape a lot and his heels are under run now . im really kicking myself about it because i should have changed a while back . i think tbh hes coming up to retirement and hes just not up to the job anymore:(

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
Low, under-run heels, long toes and your concerns are dismissed. It's a no-brainer - sack him, he's not doing a good job.

I'll put it another way - why would you pay someone to cripple your horse?

galaxy

Visit site
Wow! Can't believe you pay £40 a set! The going rate round here is around £70 for the good farriers

I know a farrier that trained with mine in the area who is taking on clients I think. He is very good and some of my clients are now using him. Pm me if you want his name

magichorse

Visit site
have been in the same situation as you. Tried to speak to farrier several times but things didn't improve. He had been coming to us for 20 odd years and I felt terrible about getting another farrier. Having got another one who does a brilliant job i wish I had changed when I noticed that there was a problem. Try not to feel too guilty :)

SNORKEY

Visit site
Thanks. Out of interest why is £40 that cheap? I was told they only pay about £5 for a set, it only takes half hour. To me that's a very good wage!

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
it only takes half hour

That alone gets the alarm bells ringing for me. 1/2 hour to remove old shoes, carefully trim and balance hooves, shape and apply new shoes, finish off and check the horse's movement - no way!

ImmyS

Visit site
What diet are your horses on? Sounds like this may be down to dietary issues, not just poor farriery on its own.

charlie76

Visit site
Maybe but they also have to train for many years, run the truck, buy equipment. You are paying for their skill

BigYellowHorse

Visit site
Similar-ish situation, had my farrier 15+years, had a horse go on loan and the farrier who is now doing his trim and front set made massive fuss over them, but does any farrier compliment another farriers work?

The vet is coming out on Wednesday so will be asking his opinion. Least he will give an honest opinion as he's not touting for business. .

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
Thanks. Out of interest why is £40 that cheap? I was told they only pay about £5 for a set, it only takes half hour. To me that's a very good wage!

The cost of shoes varies around the country but £40 is incredibly cheap & as people have said you are getting wnat you pay for. The Midlands appears to be one of the most reasonably priced areas & I pay £60, extra for stud holes. My farrier takes just under an hour. I've always been happy with what he does, he must be OK as he was chosen to be one of the farriers shoeing the olympic horses in London 2012.

Half an hour to remove 4 shoes shoes, trim their feet, heat & shape new shoes, burn the shoes in & fit new ones is too quick. Could this be why you have a problem?

Scarlett

Visit site
I really like my farrier, he always turns up early, is cheaper than others as we have been long term customers and is a nice guy.
But last year my horse kept going hoping lame, after X-rays and a day at the vets, they could only find that his feet were in a bad way, and he was way to long in the toe with no heel. So my farrier has since been just cutting the toe and put natural balance shoes on. He's now sound but his feet still look long. Also we have an unshod ish and a young cob, both their feet are looking worse Since we first hot them. Every time I politely point out that their feet are sloping a lot, but he says its their natural shape. Even after a recent trim there's a bend and slope to them! I hate the idea of not being loyal and trying to find a reliable farrier but should I ditch him or be honest with him first?

This sounds familiar! I got fobbed off by my farrier - wonder if it's the same one, I was in Hants at the time? - who blamed my horses feet for them getting flat and long (I got sick of hearing the words 'typical TB'), he also then tried Natural Balance but didn't change the trimming style and just took the toe shorter but still left the feet flat. Eventually one of mine was diagnosed with soft tissue damage/navicular due to poor foot balance and shoeing, my vet looked at the others and warned me they were all going the same way and that I needed to do something about it. farrier got ditched immediately. I've choosen to go barefoot to fix their feet and I'm amazed at the difference in the angles and size of their feet.

If I were you I'd make some changes before you end up in my situation! Good luck!

Venevidivici

Visit site
Your horse was hopping lame and had X-rays and a day at the vets....weigh up the real cost of; a) your horse's pain and discomfort
b) vet fees
c) time spent at the vets,transport costs etc and
d) the long term soundness and comfort/happiness of your horse and that £40 doesn't seem so cheap....? Not to me:(
I know it's difficult but just make whatever reason/excuse you like to spare his feelings (which you may want to do after 10yrs) and do the best for your horse,by getting someone better:) As other posters have said,I bet you'll wish you'd done it before!

Highlands

Visit site
Just changed mine, best decision ever. New one so good mum wants to change too... Had farrier for 40 years but pony is staying sound. No brainer!

googol

Visit site
I'm changing my farrier after a v v long time. I feel terrible and is taken me months to make the decision. New farrier out this morning and I'm so so nervous incase he doesn't do a good job! I haven't told my old farrier I'm changing,I'm just not gonna ring him again-it seems awful but I'm a wuss!is that what you would all do?

sally2008

Visit site
£40 a set might seem like good value but at that price he's got to shoe an awful lot of horses in a day to make a living!! He's going to have to cut corners and time spent on each horse which is very highly likely to be a contributory factor to the issues you are seeing. Also at that price he's unlikley to have either the time or the funds to do much if anything in the way of CPD. Sadly, as others have commented, you gets what you pays for.

In this area there are a few cheapies shoeing at £45-55 a time but personally I wouldn't let them loose on a rocking horse. £75-80 plus VAT is more the norm for good workmanship, good service and conscientiousness.

I recommend that for your peace of mind and your horses long term wellbeing you go for someone who shoes up to a standard and not down to a price.

YasandCrystal

Visit site

I am married to a farrier - shoes are more than £5 a set. Consider the nails, the diesel for his van, his liability insurance, his van insurance, his annual professional registration, his work clothes, his gas, his tools.....................................I could go on. Sorry it makes me so cross to read such naive comments like yours - has noone ever taught you about overheads?? ANd 30 mins to fit a set of shoes!!! That's a joke.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Talk about getting what you pay for!

Why on earth don't horse-owners find out about feet and know what a balanced foot looks like? It astounds me that people put up with rubbish for the sake of 'saving' a few pounds.
OP, I suggest that you thank your farrier for his 10 years efficient service with a bottle of wine or something and tell him that your vet has recommended that you use a remedial farrier. This will save any unpleasantness.