Changing farrier

Smogul

Visit site
How many mistakes do you allow your farrier to make? We have used the same farrier for over 15 years. Good reputation, good with fractious horses, knowledgeable about driving horses. Horse went lame after last shoeing and we are still waiting to see if there is an abscess brewing. I was taken aback when another livery said we should change farriers. One minor mistake in 15 years means I ditch a reliable professional who knows my horse and has been so helpful during rehab? I should have asked her how many mistakes she has made in the last 15 years. Horsey people never cease to amaze me.

seriously festive equine

Visit site
How many mistakes do you allow your farrier to make? We have used the same farrier for over 15 years. Good reputation, good with fractious horses, knowledgeable about driving horses. Horse went lame after last shoeing and we are still waiting to see if there is an abscess brewing. I was taken aback when another livery said we should change farriers. One minor mistake in 15 years means I ditch a reliable professional who knows my horse and has been so helpful during rehab? I should have asked her how many mistakes she has made in the last 15 years. Horsey people never cease to amaze me.
For Me it depends on how bad it is. I think ditching for a abscess/lameness is probably unnecessary and a rash decision. Good farriers are gold and should be kept if at all possible. I have only ever once ditched a farrier myself as he was charging way above my budget. I now have a lovely knowledgeable farrier who knows what he is doing. Before you accuse your farrier of causing the lameness/abscess It might be worth talking to your vet/yard manager about the issue. Don't rule out mud either! I know of 8 horses who recently have got abscesses through the unstable weather this year. also standing on a nail/bruising the sole is very possible and if its a pony never rule out laminitis. at the end of the day do what's best for your horse and you because that is what matters most. Personally would not ditch unless I have proof that he caused the lameness.

twiggy2

Visit site
Why is the farrier getting the blame for the horse being lame?
I changed farriers when one that everyone else loved got pissed off and violent with my then 2yr old who used to rock about if you held a foot up for any length of time, she was just struggling with balance and hitting her was not going to help, I asked him to leave before finishing her trim.
I still had to deal with him when he did other people's horses that I was responsible for, we managed fine, I hadn't seen him like that before but wasn't giving him the opportunity to ruin my youngster.

Wishfilly

Visit site
As a one off, I don't see how you can know the farrier is responsible- and I'd be looking at all possible causes, including laminitis. Our grass is definitely still growing and quite lush in places!

Even if there is an abscess, it may have been brewing anyway. If it happened twice in a row, or multiple times in a year, then I'd probably look at switching.

Smogul

Visit site
Think people may have misread my thread. Wasn't even thinking of changing farrier. Definitely not laminitis as horses are off grass for winter. Just amazed that someone would react like that for a one-off incident.

seriously festive equine

Visit site
Think people may have misread my thread. Wasn't even thinking of changing farrier. Definitely not laminitis as horses are off grass for winter. Just amazed that someone would react like that for a one-off incident.
got you now! Sorry for the misunderstanding! WOW thats harsh! to change farrier for a supposed lameness!

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
I have changed a few times
feet went deformed
feet underrun
unbalanced

If the problems shows up quick then I change straight away, if it takes time to show then as soon as I notice then I change

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
fair point! Just never been a person whose around horses who get it I guess....
Well you have now, my 16.hh mare of a life time got laminitis and the vets failed to diagnose it years running till got too bad.
Her son got it he was 15.1hh
my pony has it she is 1hh
my connie is 15.hh

laminitis does not discriminate on size.

Now my livery has laminitis she is 16.hh

lynz88

Visit site
There are no words for some people. Tbh any number of things could have happened. I only switch if the farrier consistently messes up or becomes semi unreliable. My guy is naturally sensitive so I don't even blame the farrier if he is sore (unless consistently hopping sore) after getting feet done. No one can do perfect work 100% of the time. I switched farriers back in March and they've taken too much heel off for my liking this time around on the hinds so will mention for the next time as more often than not, they have done a better job than 4 previous farriers.