Changing my dogs diet again!

Umbongo

Visit site
I have an 11 year old Border collie who is getting a little stiff in his older age. He still runs about like a loony and has never really been very into food, so a bit difficult to give him any sort of joint supplements.

I changed him to Arden Grange senior last year due to the glucosamine and msm in it (Originally on Bakers most of his life...I know! not my choice! Then was on Autarky for a year or 2) and he has been doing well on it, however he has never really *liked* any dog food he has been tried on.

I am considering fishmongers from pets at home, as have read good reviews and like that it has a high fish content. Is it very smelly? and kibble size? I was wondering if a smelly kibble might interest him.

I am also interested in introducing yumove....although no idea how I'm going to get him to take a tablet twice a day every day!

Has anyone had good results from using yumove, and anyone found a tasty kibble for a fussy dog! Unfortunately raw is not an option due to our storage etc. He also refuses bones.

Last edited:

galaxy

Visit site
I wouldn't say it was terribly smelly but my GSP loves it. I had him on burns, Arden grange and fish4dogs before and he only picked at it whereas he loved the fishmongers! Kibble size, its about the same as a 5p piece. Not huge, not small.

vieshot

Visit site
Won't he wolf a tablet in a lump of cheese? If not then I don't believe this dog is real, must be fictional ;-)

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
Fishmongers is good, my dog loved it, my friend's dog is on it and goes mad for it, despite being a fussy little sod, it does smell of fish but I would rather the food smelled like it's main ingredient - we're on Autarky salmon dinner at the mo and it just smells of herbs! Barking Heads Fusspot is also really fishy.

You can also put tablet in a split sausage, roll of ham or a bread and butter sandwich.

Umbongo

Visit site
Believe me he is just not into food! He will take cheese/ham/sausage etc but is not massively into it and he play about with it in his mouth/drops it on the floor before he eats it...so is bound the find the tablet! I don't think I have ever seen him wolf down food...hence why I moved him onto a dog food with supplement in it. Although I have been told Arden Grange is ok...I would rather have him on a better quality dog food and better quality joint support.

Have just seen they do 1.5kg bags of fishmonger so am going to try it! Although I was a bit surprised that pets at home do a good own brand food that isn't hugely expensive!

Last edited:

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
I'd class AG at the upper end to be honest.
Pets at Home also does a brand called Wainwrights salmon and potato which is quite good and trays of wet food which won't break the bank.
Fishmongers has a very high fish content for the price.
There are also Nature Diet and the frozen Price Choice wet foods available in P@H if you want to mix it up a bit.

I feel your pain about pills, I used to have one that despite clamping her between your knees and holding her mouth shut with her nose in the air for ten minutes, would still hock a pill back up. My current dog is a twit and eats large pink pills out of my hand as if they were sweeties....

Triskar

Visit site
You could try Eden Holistic - I'm not feeding my elderly Labrador any joint supplement any more because the joint support included has been so effective. Actually he's doing really well on it - coat and activity levels improved. No problem in getting him to eat it of course, he's a Labrador, after all!

_GG_

Visit site
I have nothing useful to add, but I had done a trick with three of our four dogs where I used to make them do a few sit, stays and give them a tablet as a treat. Now, if I need to give any of them any kind of tablets, they think it's great. They sit, I show them tablet, they eat, done.

Tricky with a dog that isn't that food motivated??? No problem. One of the collies never takes treats, but she is obsessed with playing, so I say, Ready......steady.....and throw the tablet at her and it doesn't even hit the sides, lol. Straight in and swallowed down :)

Interested to read the suggestions here as the collie above is now 13.

Umbongo

Visit site
Tricky with a dog that isn't that food motivated??? No problem. One of the collies never takes treats, but she is obsessed with playing, so I say, Ready......steady.....and throw the tablet at her and it doesn't even hit the sides, lol. Straight in and swallowed down :)

Tried that as he is obsessed with playing too! Either he is too wise or very stupid I have no idea!

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
They are as good as each other but agree Fishmongers might be a bit more desirable for a fussy dog. Don't let me confuse you, I just throw ideas out and I like both foods, or rather, the dogs have done :p - he's your dog, do what suits him best :)