Changing new horses feed from HIFI to HiFi Molasses Free

Julia0803

Visit site
Dear All,

I think I am probably going to have to buy the bag of hifi but thought i'd ask.

New pony is coming tomorrow :D:D.

He is currently fed on hifi. I prefer feeds without molasses (or cereals) and would prefer to change him over to the hifi MF...

Obviously i would normally change a feed over very slowly to avoid digestive upset. I was wondering if the HIFI and HIFI MF are similar enough that I could introduce the hifi MF straight away or am I going to have to buy a bag of HIFI and then finish that bag (which will take a fair while as he doesn't get huge quantities) before swapping to give his tummy time to adjust...

Think it is probably the latter but thought i would ask what others think?

Thanks

Micky

Visit site
They are so similar, I would think in this instance, it would be ok to swap straight over :)...I have as my horse has cushings and changed from alfa a oil straight to hi fi molasses free and he was fine :)

Buddy'sMum

Visit site
I'd stick with what pony is used to until he's settled in. You might find that the pony refuses to eat the MF so better to swap gradually, than have him off his feed at an already stressful time.

saffytessa

Visit site
Could you not ask the current owners if they have any feed left over that could come with the pony, save you buying a sack. Then buy the molasses free stuff to change over gradually?

xgemmax

Visit site
I'd just change straight over, they're not that different and theres not point you buying a big bag of feed that you're not going to use much of!

putasocinit

Visit site
Swap immediately just give less for the first few days so stomach can accept the change and pony isnt overwhelmed by the amount of the change.