Changing your mind after reading an autobiography - equine riders

kirstyl

Visit site
I'm looking forward to reading Clare Balding's autobiography and am rather shocked at supposed revelations of Mark Todd. I too must lead a sheltered life!

NU ABO

Visit site
I didn't know any of this about MT..... shame.... ah well, I still enjoy watching him ride, and his clothing line is rather comfortable :D

I'm not as big on the whole professional eventing/dressage/showjumping side anyway, I love watching it, but the only professional I really really like personality wise is Ben Maher... so if he ever 'writes' an autobiography, give me a call :p
Same goes for Carl Hester as well actually.

Now racing on the other hand, I am very keen on my racing. I would love to read Ruby Walsh's, AP McCoy's, Paul Nicholls', Clare Balding's, Mick Fitzgerald's, Richard Hughes' and Sir Henry Cecil's (biography by Brough Scott).

As such I've only read Kauto Star's :p That was a great read :D

Visit site
The only autobiography I have read all the way through is Mick Fitz's. To be honest it annoyed me as it jumped from one era to the next then back again then goes to half way then back again. Good story but badly put together.

I started reading Paul Nichols and quickly put it down as he is an arrogant ****. Soz.

Carefreegirl

Visit site
I've just read Clare Balding's in two days and am going to read it straight away again. (would of been read in one day but had to do the horse ;))

The trouble her and her brother used to get into is brilliant to read and many laugh out loud moments. A bit weepy at the end but superbly written.

She's only 6 months older than me but reminds me of my childhood, being outside all day, getting into trouble and hiding from your parents before they found you out :eek:

Adopter

Visit site
I really enjoyed Claire Baldings book, I don't usually enjoy autobiographies. Must be because it is about her animals.

For busy people it is a great read because each chapter is its own story and self contained and you can pick it up and put down as you like.

ajb123

Visit site
Another one who felt rather "let down" by MK's story - perhaps it was the fault of the ghost writer BUT she did come across as being extremely hard about having a few of her horses (not the top flight ones) pts because they had done a tendon or something similar - I could think of loads of us who would willingly have given such a horse a chance & keep them going at a lower level. Also the bit when she had a miscarriage at either the World or Europeans & just "carried on" the next day to show jump. She really must be 100% committed - most women would have been in a bit of a soggy mess emotionally let alone physically. But TBH she does come across beautifully to the general public & on the few occasions when I came across her when I was grooming at a high level for a friend she was always delightful to everyone. If you were putting up a practice fence & she used it she would always thank you - unlike so many of the others.

WFP's I found really interesting - apart from the bit about riding little ponies into the ground! I was amazed to read how nervous he had been as a child & also his hobby of breeding either guinea pigs or hamsters as a lad! He always seems to come across as having a great respect for his horses.

The tales of MT were going the rounds many years ago!!

Renvers

Visit site
Mary King for me too, I so wanted to like her and did admire a lot of what she did.

One thing I know put me off was when she told how she and her husband went on a holiday and left her mum looking after her kids, whilst mum was suffering with cancer. Of course her mum may have insisted they go but they way it was written there seemed (I don't know for sure, of course) no second thought and off they went.

Eta I did really enjoy her Mary Thomsons Eventing Year, much more interesting and morefocus on the horses.

Last edited:

Orangehorse

Visit site
I enjoyed WFP more than MK, but neither said where the horses come from. Mary breeds some of hers, but WFP must have people looking out for horses for him all the time.
I have read Lucinda's and the first edition of Mark Todd and Pippa. They are all interesting and some of them eye opening.

I read some jockeys' autobiography and frankly until then hadn't realised just how important it is for them to win,and how they set about beating the other horses in the race. Being a soppy one-horse owner I never realised just what "the will to win" meant.

I want to read the second edition of Mark Todd's and some of the others recommended.

They are in the business to make a living so unless you have a fairy godmother shovelling money at you, the riders must have to be hard sometimes

lucindakay

Visit site
Lucinda Prior-Palmers (Green) up up and away is amazing it really is old and quite amazing how she rose through the ranks, she never leaves a detail out and the way she decribes Be Fair and the state he was in really gives me hope for myself and my wonky donkey!

everyone must read it!!!!

teamgossip

Visit site
Well I've read pippa's and loved! I have Mary's waiting, I'm now inspired to finally read it!
And on that note, I've just looked through my equestrian essential book collection, and under the dust and cobwebs I've found....... The princess royal's, monty's (gift), Rachel hunt's, and ginny (holgate) oh my I'm going to be busy!!!!

Kat

Visit site
I recently stumbled upon Mark Phillips book in a second hand book shop, and it was a really interesting insight. He isn't a person you hear an awful lot about and his image never seems to be that good but it was a revelation. So much about competing at top level as a true amateur with a demanding full time job and then about setting up as a pro etc.

It was interesting to hear the otherside of the press stories, for example the struggle he had to finance gatcombe and the press reports of swimming pools for horses when he cobbled together a DIY washbox.

There were some interesting personal stories too, including his first meeting with the Princess Anne and his account of the attempted kidnapping.

He came over really well, it was just a shame that it ended at the point that Zara was born. It would be interesting to read an updated version that also covered his marriage breakup and his career as a course builder and coach as well as his take on his daughter's career.

teamgossip

Visit site
I finished MK's the other day, I got into it very quickly but by the half way stage, I was bored! Instead of reading the second half, I might of well gone on the BE website and read her results page! It also came across that her children had to fit in around her competition schedule and that none of her success would have been possible without her amazing mother who seemed to put her life on hold! There was no depth to her book, I'd of like info about a typical day on her yard and a maybe some hints on her training methods etc! Anyway, I'm gonna forget her book and just keep admiring her as before!

TrasaM

Visit site
I finished MK's the other day, I got into it very quickly but by the half way stage, I was bored! Instead of reading the second half, I might of well gone on the BE website and read her results page! It also came across that her children had to fit in around her competition schedule and that none of her success would have been possible without her amazing mother who seemed to put her life on hold! There was no depth to her book, I'd of like info about a typical day on her yard and a maybe some hints on her training methods etc! Anyway, I'm gonna forget her book and just keep admiring her as before!

Same here.. But also I can't think of her now without seeing the skeletons of all the horses she used up on her path to success.

ponypilotmum

Visit site

I gave up on the book half way through too, with the same feelings of her mother just being a cheap lorry driver and childminder! When we met her, her mother had much more time for us than she did, which confirmed my thoughts :eek:

HollyWoozle

www.farandride.com
Interesting that several of you mention Pippa Funnell's book seems to show a softer side. I haven't read it but was put right off Pippa after seeing her finish the XC at Burghley last year (I think it was Burghley). I should clarify that I'm not an eventer and I don't know much about her, it just didn't leave a great impression with me. Horse seemed to really struggle with the last jumps and looked beyond exhausted (I mean to the point of looking much more so than the others coming in) and she sat on it for a while afterwards whilst grooms were frantically throwing water over it.

I did meet her briefly at Badminton once and she was perfectly pleasant. I'm sure she takes good care of her horses but something about it just didn't really sit right with me and I can't seem to look beyond it somehow (silly, I know!). I would be interested to read something which would give me a better insight into her relationship with her horses and to help change my initial perception.

Miss L Toe

Visit site
I am a great fan of autobiographies of professional sportsmen....
The best read ever was Lance Armstrong ......... now as the drugs scandal has come to light., it shows how false these things can be. The other cycling one Robert Miller......... is more honest and discusses objectively the drug taking at this level.... and though he did not partake, all of them took additives, special drinks and massage etc to keep their bodies functioning.
Davis Nicholson ....... I knew him and there is a no doubt he was the top man for a few years, but in later years, well, things went the other way, fortunately, the autobiography was written at the height of his powers.
Lester Piggot , written by Dick Francis is ok, but really Lester was pretty ruthless, jocking off others and so on, and this is not reflected in the writing.
Barry Hills ....... Mr Grumpy, but to be honest to be a leader, to rise from the pack, one often needs to be , shall we say focussed for want of a better expression.
The best page turner was Jenny Pitmanm ... NH fans take note.
Paul Nicholls........ well............he has lived and is not everyone's ideal role model.
Mick Fitz, of interest to geeks like me.
AP McCoy..... well it takes a driving force within to be like him.. there never be another in my lifetime.
I am desperate for Henry Cecil's book to be published........... he is much revered in racing circles.

Last edited:

TheoryX1

Visit site
I am really showing my age now, but I loved Pat Smythe's Jump for Joy. My mum gave it to me as pony mad little girl, and I have read it subsequently to that as an adult, and it always takes me back to being a pony mad kid, with no pony, desperate to scrounge any ride she could. I know its harping back to the 40s, 50s and 60s and the lady in question is no longer with us, but god did she have it hard. I dont remember feeling anything for her as a person, but I do recall thinking that she was a woman in a man's world and good on her.

I have read the Pippa Funnell autobiography and it was OK, and I didnt actually like WFP's autobiogrography, I dont know why, I think it was because the writing was fairly disjointed. I;ve also read some of the Monty Roberts books - I think I tried this because all my friends were chasing their horses around the arena and doing join up at the time - which left me cold then and still does. Again, not that impressed.

I have to be honest, riders autobiographies dont do a huge amount for me.

Firewell

Visit site
I am really showing my age now, but I loved Pat Smythe's Jump for Joy. My mum gave it to me as pony mad little girl, and I have read it subsequently to that as an adult, and it always takes me back to being a pony mad kid, with no pony, desperate to scrounge any ride she could. I know its harping back to the 40s, 50s and 60s and the lady in question is no longer with us, but god did she have it hard. I dont remember feeling anything for her as a person, but I do recall thinking that she was a woman in a man's world and good on her.

I have read the Pippa Funnell autobiography and it was OK, and I didnt actually like WFP's autobiogrography, I dont know why, I think it was because the writing was fairly disjointed. I;ve also read some of the Monty Roberts books - I think I tried this because all my friends were chasing their horses around the arena and doing join up at the time - which left me cold then and still does. Again, not that impressed.

I have to be honest, riders autobiographies dont do a huge amount for me.

I read jump for joy when I was a little girl! It had been my mums booked. I loved it :).

I don't really read autobiographies however I should imagine a lot of it depends on the writing things might not come across how they are meant? Or they might come across better ;). I wouldn't surprise me if some of these top riders are ruthless you would have to be to a certain extent I would imagine. They probably get numb to things. That's why I like being a one horsie, fluffy bunny lovey dovey owner amature ;).

Kat

Visit site
I don't really read autobiographies however I should imagine a lot of it depends on the writing things might not come across how they are meant? Or they might come across better ;). I wouldn't surprise me if some of these top riders are ruthless you would have to be to a certain extent I would imagine. They probably get numb to things. That's why I like being a one horsie, fluffy bunny lovey dovey owner amature ;).

I don't know I'm not much of a crier but I sobbed like a baby when I read the bit about Doublet dying in Princess Anne's biography. She has such a reputation for being hard and tough but she was quite clearly devastated and felt very guilty and has never forgiven herself, despite it not really being her fault.

I'm not much of a biography reader either though, the ones I've read have either been given to me or I've picked up cheap second hand.

sharky

Visit site
Mary Kings Book - A summary
I was born
I worked hard
I started eventing
I won something, Something bad happened, then the next day i won something else, Then i met someone, than something bad happened, then i won something, then i fell off, then i won something, then something bad happened, then i nearly won something

REPEAT WITHOUT EMOTION FOR PAGE ON PAGE UNTIL BORED

(Still admire her though)

Rouletterose

Visit site
Agree Mary kings book was very boring and just a record of her results really, I admire her riding ability but not her skills with the pen!

I enjoyed Pippa Funnells book, also Prince Philips autobiography, agree with another poster that Mark Todd came accross as very ruthless.

Am hoping to read Clare Baldings book next and am absolutely sure it will be good!

Rouletterose

Visit site
It's not an autobiography really, it's called "The young Prince Philip" by Philip Eade, and it's all about his early turbulent life, in my opinion a quite remarkable man. It was published to coincide with his 90th birthday.

I can thoroughly recommend it as a good read and gives a good insight into him as a person and how he dealt with things, he's not just the Queens husband.

Gingey2

Visit site
I liked Mary King's, she's always been my favourite eventer and I thought her book was a good read. I watched her Enjoying Cross Country video around the same time, which I know is different as it's an informative teaching vid rather than a storytelling autobiog, but that and the book together reinforced my perception of her as a really seasoned and kind rider/horsewoman. That and the fact she is always smiling and chatting her way round the XC courses at Burghley, Badminton etc!

Thought WFP's was good too, spent ages poring over the pics and loved his anecdotes of when he was younger especially- in particular getting towed round his first (?) ODE by his mum's eventer as this really triggered memories of my first HTs and similar lack of control/overhorsedness! Found it really interesting to read about some of his confidence problems etc too as I didn't really know much about him past his public image at events and I finished the book feeling like he had 'shared' a lot if that makes sense.
I think I enjoyed Pippa's the best though as for some reason beforehand I'd always seen her as quite an impersonal and hard person, and it was obvious from her stories of individual horses etc that she cares a lot as well as working incredibly hard. Found stories and pics of her childhood fun as well as I have non horsey parents, so was interesting to read about her mum taking her out hunting, organising her transition onto her first horse etc and learning about her starting out in eventing.