Channel 4 now!!

Sheep

Visit site
Unfortunately 4od doesnt work where I am.. 2 other episodes have been put on a special website I use to watch things :cool: so I'm really hoping this one will be too!

gill84

Visit site
Trust me you aren't missing much! I've had to turn off before I throw up as there disecting a horses shoulder and putting it's leg in a clamp to see how much pressure it can take!!!

Horses24-7

Visit site
I think if you can cope with the blood etc things like this are fascinating! The best way to learn is through seeing how things work in person (so to speak), can you tell I teach animal welfare and science! I must say I love doing dissections at work! I know I sound odd, but they are a great learning resource.

Brummyrat

Visit site
Really interesting, especially how the guts moving during hard work. I knew there was a reason why I nagged people at our yard about resting their horses after bringing them in before tacking up and taking them for a blast!

Paint Me Proud

Visit site
i am finding it all very very interesting. We do the lung thing at work with pigs lungs but i never truly appreciated how big horses lungs are.
Also did you see the size of that large intestine :eek::eek:

whiteclover

Visit site
I cant watch the dissection. It makes my stomach turn. My horse had an endoscope like that except she wasnt as quiet to stand whilst they put it on. Bless the TB for standing so quiet.

Ibblebibble

Visit site
fascinating programme, even my daughter who's 10 watched it and was impressed:eek: Makes you appreciate how truly amazing horses are, not just on the outside but on the inside too:)

ghost&secret

Visit site
First Congrulations to Channel for a fantastic Series, each one has been compelling and I can't be the only one that has learnt so much about how different bodies have adapted to their enviroment.

Of Course the Racehorse is of particular interest and I sat on the edge of the sofa with pad and pen taking notes and being able to see the different body parts in 'life' put what I know in theory into reality that made me understand a whole lot more and stunned me in parts..... I will look at 'yampy' TB's in a totally different light ;-)

So enjoyed that !!

Elsbells

Visit site
I'm never going to be so non bovved, about protectecting the tendons ever again. I will never ride without boots on my horse either, even if all we're doing is trot.

What an eye opener that was.:eek:

Piccy

Visit site
Facinating programme glad I watched it to be honest, was in two minds if I could cope the others in the series have been excellent but was unsure if I could handle the fact it was a horse.
I will never do anything without boots on now

Todmiester

Visit site
To all of you who will be now booting up your horse when worked will that also mean you will have him booted up every second of the day. Come on! The tendon snapped when at the full extention with extreme pressure applied. Most horses dont go as fast as a race horse and there for will not put their tendons under that amount of strain.

I was told many moons ago by a well respected Vet that keeping lower legs in boots all the time heats up the lower leg leading to a higher risk of injury to the tendon.

el_Snowflakes

Visit site
What a fantastic programme. As a science buff and horse owner I was completely glued to the screen! Those lungs WOW! what an amazing creature the horse is. As the gentleman on the show said there are no engineering materials that compare (in reference to the leg and tendons)

golden_revolution

Visit site
(I have just said the same thing in Veterinary too!!)
But, a bit of a shameless plug here for her I know, but I have been to a few of Gillian Higgins' (Horses Inside Out) dissections and they are truly AMAZING! She runs them every Winter, I have so far been to the internal organs and the cranium ones, but she also does the Spine and Fore/Hind Limbs and I cant wait to go!!

After being to Gillian's dissections, I was a little dissapointed in how little they (Channel four) appeared to actually focus on any other parts of the internal structures (organs, bones and muscles) that make up these wonderful and complex creatures and it sort of seemed a bit rushed to me? Indeed, the parts they did focus on specifically (the lungs especially and when they scoped the horse) were done VERY well, and I know they had to fit it all into an hour show but it just seemed a little rushed in places (Just my opinion!!)

Thank you to channel 4 though for helping to explain a little more about a very popular domestic creature that sometimes fails to get enough TV coverage!!!!

el_Snowflakes

Visit site
(I have just said the same thing in Veterinary too!!)
But, a bit of a shameless plug here for her I know, but I have been to a few of Gillian Higgins' (Horses Inside Out) dissections and they are truly AMAZING! She runs them every Winter, I have so far been to the internal organs and the cranium ones, but she also does the Spine and Fore/Hind Limbs and I cant wait to go!!

After being to Gillian's dissections, I was a little dissapointed in how little they (Channel four) appeared to actually focus on any other parts of the internal structures (organs, bones and muscles) that make up these wonderful and complex creatures and it sort of seemed a bit rushed to me? Indeed, the parts they did focus on specifically (the lungs especially and when they scoped the horse) were done VERY well, and I know they had to fit it all into an hour show but it just seemed a little rushed in places (Just my opinion!!)

Thank you to channel 4 though for helping to explain a little more about a very popular domestic creature that sometimes fails to get enough TV coverage!!!!

SOULFULL: try 4 OD you should get it on there ;)

I would have liked to see more of the digestive system, but then it was about race horses in particular so I suppose thats why they concentrated on the repiratory system and legs....wish the programme had been longer but i reckon they crammed alot into the short time they had ;)

Pale Rider

Visit site
Having watched this a couple of times now and quite enjoyed it.

I'm not suprised by the tendons under pressue scene, I've seen that before, I find it a bit odd that knowing how vulnerable a tendon is that we still put nice sharp metal shoes on the feet.

Also they seem to have got the bio mechanics of the foot a bit wrong, when they say the sole is not attached to the pedal bone, I think that they will find it is. That is unless all the feet I've cut up are odd.