Chapped heels

sandy7

Visit site
My boys has chapped skin around his heel and frog on one foot. It's quite tender and i'm worried about it turning into mud fever, what's the best thing to treat it with? I was thining of some sort of barrier cream?
(He's stabled at night and out during the day.)

Peanot

Visit site
Hi, if you had the vet out, they would probably tell you to keep it dry, keep him in. My mare had a crack in her bulb and when it got wet, it would peel back, so I decided that I had to keep it dry. Almost impossible in this weather, but I put cotton wool over the heel to cushion it, then use vet-wrap to cover it, then use duct tape, then put on an equiboot. This worked well until there were deep puddles, but by this time, I was able to turn her out without it.
You need something that will protect it from the wet. I would suggest a good barrier cream, like muddy marvel or as Amymay has suggested udder salve.
Then clean it off each night with salt water or similar, then dry thoroughly, then put some cream on, something like sudocrem as this is a healing cream.
If possible, I would try and keep it dry until the soreness and scabs have gone.
Good luck, I hope he is better soon. The one good thing is summer is on the way.