CHAPS: Can Someone Please Explain This To Me?

acorn92x

Visit site
I'm feeling very thick here this morning but I'm really not understanding the whole CHAPS registration process. I have a 15hh coloured (Piebald) cob who I want to do in hand and eventually (Aiming for 2017) ridden show/traditional classes with (She's hogged and trimmed) and I need to register her and me with CHAPS. She is currently passported with the Irish Piebald and Skewbald Society (Now Leisure Horse Ireland or something like that I believe?) so she will need to have this changed to a CHAPS one won't she? Also, will she need a height certificate? I've measured her with a stick and she stands at 15hh but obviously I'm not JMB so would this need to happen? Thank you in advance to anyone who can shed light on this!

jakkibag

Visit site
Hi are you planning to go to Chaps Champs? If you are just doing inhand classes at the moment I wouldn't bother joining, if you want to join, you have to become a member, then send the horses passport away to be over stamped, you can still get an inhand qualification card this way without having a measurement, you can then get your measurement at a later date when you want the chaps qual ridden card.You can still compete in all ridden and inhand chaps classes without being a member it just means you can't get the qualification for champs.
Membership is £35 over stamping is £18 for members, then measuring is £85, hoys number is another £20 hope this helps.

conniegirl

Visit site
At the moment she will not need a height certificate as she would be in the over 148cm native, cob and traditional class (often shortened to NCT)
You need to become a member, get her current passport over stamped and then request an inhand qualifier card.

Just for curiosity why 2017 for riddens?

Eta if you phone the office they will happily help you through the process. I wouldn't bother with membership until the new year though as membership runs from January to January.

Dolsey1

Visit site
At the moment she will not need a height certificate as she would be in the over 148cm native, cob and traditional class (often shortened to NCT)
You need to become a member, get her current passport over stamped and then request an inhand qualifier card.

Just for curiosity why 2017 for riddens?

Eta if you phone the office they will happily help you through the process. I wouldn't bother with membership until the new year though as membership runs from January to January.

Not any more, the membership has changed to run from 1st Nov to 31st Oct

acorn92x

Visit site
Thank you both! This is very helpful! :) I was going to renew for the new year, just trying to be organised!

Aiming for riddens in 2017 as she is still quite green in the school currently and I want her schooling at a higher standard than what she is currently. We're having weekly, sometimes twice weekly lessons and all is going well so far but would like to do some local ridden classes prior to putting her out there with the big girls so to speak! I'm hoping to really start to nail her schooling over the winter as we have an indoor arena so perfect to practice in. She's done inhand classes with me and has coped admirably well with them hence why I'd like to focus on them in 2016. Does that sound sensible?

conniegirl

Visit site
Have to say I haven't looked at my renewal form yet. Don't know if the splodgey one will be sound by next year

I'd say have a go at the riddens anyway, there is novice classes and young horse classes at Chaps shows and champs.
My lad got 7th in the huge novice final in 2014 having only been under saddle for 3months!

Last edited:

acorn92x

Visit site
Conniegirl, that's fantastic! I didn't know they have novice classes! She works very well in walk and trot, has beautiful paces and a lovely natural rhythm and is very well mannered, her canter has been a work in progress as she has struggled with maintaining it on circles etc as has only previously hacked (So only used to straight lines) before coming to me although is improving all of the time and has improved drastically since I got her in August. I might join when I get paid next month then, it's all experience and something to work towards! She's a very good girl so it has to be worth a shot.

Conniegirl and everyone else who has commented, where abouts are you based?