Charity Horse Ride

charlieandblue

Visit site
Hi all, I am planning to hold a sponsered charity ride next year, but i'm unsure where to start, so i was wondering if any of you could help? I've asked around a few places and have been offered to use a camping site for horseboxes and trailers, with a section of private beach to ride on...but also thought of using a section of the weavers way (public bridlepath) for an 8+ mile ride. which would you prefer?
- Do i need to ensure everyone has insurance if they want to take part?
- Do i need to have first aiders or vets at the ride?
- What would be a reasonable entry fee?
anything else i need to think of?

it will be in aid of the 'The Darren Tubby Trust', Darren was my uncle who tragically died last year after a brain hemorrhage, and now i'm trying to fund raise to help Caroline House support and rehabilitate sufferers of brain injuries.
Any help would be much appreciated..really lost on this one!
Many thanks! xx

FriendlyCob

Visit site
Hey

Can't really be of much use but there was a NNPCC fun ride near us recently and that was £15 which sounded about going rate. I would think u'd need insurance but as to where you get it from no idea but I do have number for Amtrust equine they might be able to help 08454598990

Also I wondered how practical it was for you try and out refereashments on and could look to put the profit from that?

Good luck xx

Suechoccy

Visit site
You need event insurance. I organised one a few years ago through my local bridleway group as their BHS bridleway association insurance covered it. Easiest thing is to contact your local riding club or bridleway group and ask if you can organise a charity ride under their name, using their insurance.
Then, get it in writing from their insurers that they are covering you. Don't believe word of mouth.
Route: being a one-off ride, if you have good relationships with landowners, you may be able to get special permission for one day only (plus an earlier day when you yourself get to ride around the route to suss out where you need stewards or signpostings!)
Risk Assessment: you absolutely must do a risk assessment. I can send you mine as a sample if you pm me your email address.
HQ: a toilet and enough space for parking/unloading is the minimum. You can use a van, trailer or tent as the Sign-on.
Entry forms: you need each riders' personal details, including next-of-kin emergency mobile or landline number.
Rider/Horse ID: you should have a Ride Emergency number (probably your mobile) printed onto tags that either elastic-band or stick onto both rider's hat and horse saddle d-ring (not bridle as horse's can lose bridles).
Maps: print a map for each rider and have your Ride Emergency number on that, and point out any hazrds (eg Road Crossing, RabbitHoles)
Collection bucket for extra donations at the secretary's tent.
Sponsorship forms for riders who want to get sponsored.
Entry fee may be cheaper before closing date than on the day if you want. Also cheaper for under-16s usually.
Catering - you can get a load of cheapo snacks and drinks in from your local supermarket, and have one person selling them, or you might have a few mums baking cakes, or you might have a burger van. Depends how big you want to go.
Photography - if you've got at least 50 riders, you might want to engage a photographer to take pix and sell them to the riders.
Publicity: all the websites (horsedates, etc), local tack shops, emails and fliers to all local riding clubs, BHS area reps, equestrian centres, at other rides you attend beforehand and at any shows you go to.
Route-marking: agree with landowners what they're happy with. Coloured tape hung from tree branches, orange or other coloured biodegradable spray paint on the ground to mark arrows, or small arrows drawn on boards on pegs pushed into the ground. Be aware that any boards can be turned round to face the other way (either by mischievous public or by the wind).
Small group of people: organising a ride isn't a one-person job. I think our ride (10 miles, 25 riders) took 3 of us to pre-organise (sorting everything out, 2 of us recce'ing the course and marking it up the day before), and 5 on the day (1 secretary/catering, 3 stewards at 2 road crossings, 1 first-aider, 1 carpark/general runrounder).

Hope that helps!

OWLIE185

Visit site
I have organised a number of sponsored pleasure rides and used to do combined ones with Endurance UK as this made the whole thing easier and more viable.
You need to do a belt and braces for everything so don't just rely on one mobile phone have at least two numbers just in case one goes down.
You will also need Stewards to marshall the route especially at road crossings.
I always warned the local police, ambulance and fire and rescue and sent them a map of the route.
You also want a nice short mini-route for the toddlers - in hand children.
Rossettes to each participant goes down well and try to get a celebrity or local dignantry to give them out as this will attract more people.
As regards marking the routes we used orange ribbon which we attached to trees etc. removing them all afterwards.
We used to have Water, Red Cross, Vet, Farrier, Burger Van on site and a tractor if anyone needed pulling out of venue.