Chased by dogs hacking today. WWYD?

meleeka

Visit site
OP has already stated that her horse is usually fine with barking dogs so on this occasion the horse clearly thought it wasn’t ‘just’ a barking dog.

You can of course take steps to make riding as safe as possible but you can’t eliminate the risk because they are animals. The only person at fault in the OP’s situation was the dog owner.

Crugeran Celt

Visit site
You may accept horses spooking and running away possibly causing an accident as completely fine and to be accepted. I do not. Many others do not. Personally I would be setting the horse up with some training to ensure it would face up to dogs / whatever else and do what it was told.

If we accept that horses can just spook and run off when they feel like it, we are opening ourselves up to being killed or killing someone else.

Loose horses in a field are not the same as a horse under saddle and in (should be!) control of a rider.

Can you honestly say that every horse you have ever sat on has never spooked? Spinning and running is a very differeht thing to spooking and yes it would be better if you could prevent that from happening but the best schooled horse in the world under the best rider in the world has the ability to spook and run and if it does it no rider would be strong enough to stop it happening. I am sure we all try to have control of our horses and are able to face whatever is thrown at us while out and about but the fact is these things happen and if someone is walking their dogs on a bridleway they should be prepared to meet horses and they also are responsible to teach their dogs that horses are not to be barked at or chased. I have taught my dogs that when out walking we meet a horse they immediately come to me, I don't have to call them. It's not difficult and if we all want to use the same paths it is everyones responsibility to have control of their animals.

FfionWinnie

Visit site
I suspect that the OP's horse could read dog language (aggressive intent), and after getting the message, decided that retreat was the wisest course of action.

Yes, we should train our horses well, but sometimes instinct will take over. OP, I'm glad that no harm was done, but please do report these dogs.

Horses spook at crisp packets do they have aggressive intent too!? I’ve got one who would when I got it spin and run away from sheep. I’m a shepherd so I know the sheep was only minding its own business not actually waiting to kill us as the horse believed.

It is never going to be safer to run away from an aggressive dog. Stand your ground. If necessary get off and whack it but run away. No. Furthet morenits not the horses decision to make.

Meleeka I never said the OP was at fault - I said (and I wasn’t referring to the OP as I don’t know what steps they will now take!) believing that a horse doesn’t need further training when it had reacted like this, would make you negligent. If your horse has a history of running off when it feels like it, and you end up in court having killed a pedestrian or caused a road accident, your defence would be nonexistent if you had done nothing to retrain the horse and knew it was unpredictable. Indeed your insurance would likely be invalid if you did not make it known the horse had a behavioural issue such as that.

A one off is only a one off until the next time. Be safe, train for every eventuality and if you can’t be bothered with that at least train for things you know need sorted out!

FfionWinnie

Visit site
Can you honestly say that every horse you have ever sat on has never spooked? Spinning and running is a very differeht thing to spooking and yes it would be better if you could prevent that from happening but the best schooled horse in the world under the best rider in the world has the ability to spook and run and if it does it no rider would be strong enough to stop it happening. I am sure we all try to have control of our horses and are able to face whatever is thrown at us while out and about but the fact is these things happen and if someone is walking their dogs on a bridleway they should be prepared to meet horses and they also are responsible to teach their dogs that horses are not to be barked at or chased. I have taught my dogs that when out walking we meet a horse they immediately come to me, I don't have to call them. It's not difficult and if we all want to use the same paths it is everyones responsibility to have control of their animals.

I think you misunderstood my initial comment where I said the horse shouldn’t have spooked - perhaps I should have typed out “and run off” the first time because that is the crux of the issue and I’m sure I’ve now made that clear in subsequent comments.

Bowing out for now. Horses to train, dogs to train, dangerous sheep to prevent from killing said horses...

little_critter

Visit site
Driving a car is a risk that’s why there are certain things done and not done to mitigate the risk.

If you have an incident where your horse spooks and runs off out of control (ie you cannot stop it within a few strides) and you do not consider the horse needs further training to enable it to cope with a situation, then you are negligent in the extreme.

A barking dog is NOT enough of an excuse for a horse to take flight. There are barking out of control dogs everywhere. As I said it’s a daily occurance for me. I hate it and I hate the people who think it’s acceptable to allow their dogs to do this BUT I have trained my horses to stand their ground or if necessary advance on the dogs to protect ourselves.

I can’t actually believe people think it’s acceptable for a horse to run away out of control from something as mundane as a barking dog. If that is the case then you must also accept that barking out of control dogs are just following their instincts too!

But it wasn't JUST a barking dog. I suspect many horses would be ok at that. This was 2 dogs barking and chasing, in my eyes the chasing adds a lot to the situation.

TheHairyOne

Visit site
For those saying 'do more training' I would really, really like to hear what you would suggest?

The horse is 8 years old and i have owned him since 18 months old and can honestly say he has never turned to flee from ANYTHING before and certainly not dogs. Its one reason I was so shocked yesterday.

Yes, I get the odd minor spook at stuff, he is a horse, but I do a lot of miles hacking alone and in company. I ride down a bridle way on the side of a dual carriage way, and a few weekends ago had a fire engine, lights and sirens come barrellling past. He just watched it go!

Obviously now I am aware of the possibility I will be more alert to the potential in future, but I do find myself struggling to come up with a training plan for something that has happened once in his whole life, and am slightly taken aback by the inference that I should have somehow predicted a reaction he has never had. I shall certainly be shouting at dogs coming in the future though, I was perhaps a litle passive given that the last time I met a loose dog with no recall it ended up under my boys and he just stood and sniffed it, his normal response to them...completely unbothered.

My goal is to keep everyone as safe as possible whilst enjoying the countyside, but especially me and my horse!

SEL

Visit site
I suspect that the OP's horse could read dog language (aggressive intent), and after getting the message, decided that retreat was the wisest course of action.

Yes, we should train our horses well, but sometimes instinct will take over. OP, I'm glad that no harm was done, but please do report these dogs.

My old horse was completely comfortable around dogs - he regularly used to hack out with a pack of spaniels under his legs. I was on him once when a very large dog ran away from its owner (who had headphones on and was oblivious to where his dog was) and went straight at his legs. The horse knew not to kick out at dogs, so decided his safest option was to spin and run for home. He'd never done anything like that before and never did again - so I can only assume there was something in that particular dog's behaviour which caused the flight instinct to kick in.

OP - you have my sympathy. I've had a lot of problems with out of control dogs and owners who say 'he won't hurt your horse'. I used to ride a friend's Welshie who decided attack was the best form of defence and would spin and try to kick the dog. It was a PITA explaining to dog owners that even if your dog won't bite, my horse doesn't know that and WILL kick!

lamlyn2012

Visit site
The dogs gave chase and owner unable to do anything about it and were therefore out of control. Also someone was injured, although not that serious, it is still an injury.
OP, have you spoken to BHS legal helpline? You don't have to be a member. Also register it on the BHS website.
Watching Countryfile last night, discussing suspension of rights of way due to dog attacks. Dog walkers have to be made more accountable. Horse riders are criticised and at risk on roads, and often chased and attacked by dogs on bridleways. People are becoming more reluctant to hack which leaves our horses going round and round in a manege. A young girl locally was attacked by a pack of four dogs at the weekend. No owner in sight. The countryside is for all of us to enjoy, not just dog walkers.

Cecile

Visit site
Maybe things are different in Scotland but I found this poster the weirdest thing I have ever read

http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/news/dog-attack-scotland-advisory-poster-633750

My dogs chase a ball or stick, I don't see it at all *natural for them to want to chase or play* with other people's horses, walkers or anything not connected to me. I would hate for my dogs to cause a problem to anyone, you don't need to be a rocket scientist to put a lead on or sense a possible problem arising with a dog, I should also imagine horses can sense a problem dog long before the rider can by the dogs body language, barking or manner. Hence why sometimes a horse will just ignore the dog and other times take flight

dominobrown

Visit site
For those saying 'do more training' I would really, really like to hear what you would suggest?

The horse is 8 years old and i have owned him since 18 months old and can honestly say he has never turned to flee from ANYTHING before and certainly not dogs. Its one reason I was so shocked yesterday.

Yes, I get the odd minor spook at stuff, he is a horse, but I do a lot of miles hacking alone and in company. I ride down a bridle way on the side of a dual carriage way, and a few weekends ago had a fire engine, lights and sirens come barrellling past. He just watched it go!

Obviously now I am aware of the possibility I will be more alert to the potential in future, but I do find myself struggling to come up with a training plan for something that has happened once in his whole life, and am slightly taken aback by the inference that I should have somehow predicted a reaction he has never had. I shall certainly be shouting at dogs coming in the future though, I was perhaps a litle passive given that the last time I met a loose dog with no recall it ended up under my boys and he just stood and sniffed it, his normal response to them...completely unbothered.

My goal is to keep everyone as safe as possible whilst enjoying the countyside, but especially me and my horse!

Right so you where out with 5(?) other horses. If they all span and ran away instinct would take over and your horse would go too.
You said earlier you still had steering and brakes... this is good, means horse is not in blind panic.
You cannot stop a horse from spooking, or looking at things, (if anyone thinks they can they actually own a dead horse/ rocking horse) though you can control the reaction. I don't mind a horse having a look. A spin, bolt, rear is not acceptable however but they are live animals so as long as they react in a manner which is safe/ controllable it's ok. If a horse got a real shock and did a quick spin then was under control straight away I would argue that is unavoidable ( my horse was been ridden by a member of staff as a lead on Saturday and I was on a youngster and a man with a bright jacket literally (!) popped out of the hedge right in front of him with a stick, he jumped away from the man, rider came off but as soon as he felt the rider go he stood stock still, she landed on her feet and the breaker I was on didn't move at all but I could feel his heart going). Incidents are unavoidable but you want it so if the horse is afraid it trusts the rider for further instruction. If my horse bolted it would of been chaos, but he waited (with his eyes in stalks) until he was caught.

The women with the dog, who you stated had let her dogs run out of her sight is in the wrong. If you were a walker nervous of dogs and 2 gsd's ran up to you it would be terrifying.

Last edited:

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
Maybe things are different in Scotland but I found this poster the weirdest thing I have ever read

http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/news/dog-attack-scotland-advisory-poster-633750

My dogs chase a ball or stick, I don't see it at all *natural for them to want to chase or play* with other people's horses, walkers or anything not connected to me. I would hate for my dogs to cause a problem to anyone, you don't need to be a rocket scientist to put a lead on or sense a possible problem arising with a dog, I should also imagine horses can sense a problem dog long before the rider can by the dogs body language, barking or manner. Hence why sometimes a horse will just ignore the dog and other times take flight

why would things be different in Scotland lol? its entirely natural for a dog to want to chase animals, they are predators. Thats what training is for after all and my dogs are trained to not chase my cats, ducks and horses, sheep and cows. The poster is merely explaining to the non-equestrian what might happen if their dogs are not under control should they meet a horse.

dogs that dont regularly see horses may well want to chase-or just bark out of fear. In Scotland at least, you get a lot of dog walkers that generally live where they might not encounter horses daily but go out to their local forest/more rural places at the weekend which are open to all.

laura_nash

towercottage.weebly.com
I would report it to the dog warden, because of the woman's attitude and you mention other riders having had trouble with her before.

In general though, I do think lots of riders can be a bit OTT about this. If the woman had been suitably embarressed and apologetic I would have thought nothing of it TBH. If we say that horses are flight animals and even fairly well trained ones can on occasional take off with the rider, doesn't it also follow that dogs are (mostly) hunting / herding animals and even fairly well trained ones can occasionally get away from their owner.

If we say that only 100% rock solid totally trained dogs with perfect recall should ever be off the lead in a public place, doesn't it also follow that only 100% rock solid totally trained bombroof horses with perfect brakes should ever be hacked out in a public place.

There is no suggestion in the OP (that I could see) that the dogs actually tried to attack / bite the horses. Personally I think a bit of understanding and reasonableness on both sides wouldn't go amiss.

"If you were a walker nervous of dogs and 2 gsd's ran up to you it would be terrifying.
Read more at http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?755357-Chased-by-dogs-hacking-today-WWYD/page5#dy8hsPcvXPdCPw03.99"

True, but if you were a keen walker terrified of horses (as my mum was for many years) and 6 not-totally-in-control horses came barrelling towards you it would also be terrifying.

dominobrown

Visit site
Yes would also be terrifying! I know what its like to have a very bad dog, but if the person was doing their best to control (such as on a lead, telling it to be quiet etc) then thats fine. Dogs need to get out and about to see thnigs, same as horses!

PeterNatt

s68.photobucket.com
I was riding my mare along a country road when two dogs ran out of a farm yard and attacked her by biting her legs and when they got her down biting at her neck. I attacked the dogs with my hands and schooling whip and got them off but they had injured my horse. I went in to the farm yard afterwards to speak to the farmer who was abusive and rude to me. After my horse had received veterinary care I contacted the local rural poice officer and dog warden and they went to see the farmer concerned. People in the vilage later told me that the dogs had always been a problem but had not done anything about it. My horse was aprehensive of dogs after that. Some years later the farmers sheep were attacked by some local dogs and several sheep were killed. Dogs can be very dangerous and the owners of them should be prosecuted.

Below find the laws relating to dogs.

Dogs
Microchipping
After 6 April 2016, owners of dogs found by the police or local authorities not to have a microchip will have the benefits explained to them and be given a short period to comply with the microchipping law. If they do not, they will face a fine of up to £500.

Dangerous Dogs Act
The Dangerous Dogs act was updated in 2014. One example is that dog attacks on loose horses in a field are now covered as an offence. Previously it was classed as an offence only when the horse was ridden or driven.

As from May 2014 Dog owners can be prosecuted if their dogs cause injury to a rider on public and private land, including livery yards. It is already an offence under the Dangerous Dogs Act for any dog to be dangerously out of control in a public place. Currently prosecution can only be brought if the dog harms the rider or puts them in fear of being injured.

If you are unfortunate enough to suffer an attack by a dog you should report the matter to the police stating that you where in ‘apprehension of injury’ due to the dog’s actions potentially causing you to be thrown. It can be argued that there was an offence under Section 3 of the Dangerous Dogs Act 1991. The case of R v Nash 2011 at Birmingham Magistrates Court, Appealed to Crown and upheld by HH Judge Faber, held that the offence was complete if the dog’s conduct was enough for the rider to apprehend injury by way of causation.
If the Police still refuse to take action, you should complain to the Independent Police Complaints Commission.

Under the Dangerous Dogs Act 1991 a dog owner may be criminally liable if a dog is dangerously out of control in public or private land. The 1991 act only applies to certain breeds of dog. The owner could be sentenced to imprisonment, and the dog subject to a destruction order.
Within the specific agricultural context the Dogs (Protection of Livestock) act 1953 makes it an offence if dogs regardless of breed ‘worry’ (which is defined widely) livestock.
You may only shoot a dog if you have lawful excuse. In essence, the burden would fall on you to show that you acted in the belief that your livestock was in immediate danger and needed to be protected. The assessment of what is a lawful
Excuse and is reasonable is a grey area, and there may be repercussions if you overstep the mark – not only from the owner but also in terms of animal welfare issues and shotgun licensing. Accordingly exercising your rights is not without its risks.

Compensation for injuries suffered is primarily governed by the animals act 1971. Under section 3 where a dog causes damage by killing or injuring livestock, any person who is a keeper of the dog is strictly liable for the damage. When we talk of strict liability it means that the liability will fall on the on the dog owner without the need to make a finding of fault. As such the law is slanted in your favour. That said, any claim for damages will be strictly governed by ordinary legal principles, for example you will only be able to recover reasonable foreseeable losses and you would have a duty to mitigate such losses. You will need to provide evidence to the market value, costs breeding programmes and so on.
Depending on the nature of your farm, some of the animals kept may extend to non-traditional livestock and, as such , fall outside the legal definition – which is governed by Section 11 of the Animals Act 1971. In this scenario, you would still have recourse to claim damages in a claim of negligence or nuisance, albeit you would have the additional hurdle of proving fault.

UK Law -Dogs (Protection of Livestock) Act 1953
Under the Dogs (Protection of Livestock) Act 1953 it is a criminal offence for a dog to attack, chase, injure or to be out of control around livestock or agricultural land with the dog owner being absolutely liable for damages. Farmers are entitled to shoot dogs worrying livestock in fields.
The law is designed to punish the owner of any dog found worrying livestock on agricultural land.

For this piece of legislation to be used, the dog must be found attacking or chasing livestock or at large, not on a lead or under control, in a field or enclosure containing livestock. An offence is punishable by a fine on the owner or keeper of the dog of up to £1,000.

The Animals Act 1971 can also be used in cases where a dog is caught worrying livestock. It states anyone who is the keeper of a dog that is caught damaging by killing or injuring livestock is liable for the damage. This means the farmer can sue the dog owner for compensation.

In certain circumstances, a farmer or landowner has the right to shoot a dog found attacking or worrying his or her livestock, for example to act for the protection of any livestock if, and only if, either the dog is worrying or about to worry the livestock and there are no other reasonable means of ending or preventing the worrying; or the dog has been worrying livestock, has not left the vicinity and is not under the control of any person and there are no practicable means of ascertaining to who it belongs.

Under the Dangerous Dogs Act 1991 a dog owner may be criminally liable if a dog is dangerously out of control in public or private land. The 1991 act only applies to certain breeds of dog. The owner could be sentenced to imprisonment, and the dog subject to a destruction order.
Within the specific agricultural context the Dogs (Protection of Livestock) act 1953 makes it an offence if dogs regardless of breed ‘worry’ (which is defined widely) livestock.
You may only shoot a dog if you have lawful excuse. In essence, the burden would fall on you to show that you acted in the belief that your livestock was in immediate danger and needed to be protected. The assessment of what is a lawful
Excuse and is reasonable is a grey area, and there may be repercussions if you overstep the mark – not only from the owner but also in terms of animal welfare issues and shotgun licensing. Accordingly exercising your rights is not without its risks.

Compensation for injuries suffered is primarily governed by the animals act 1971. Under section 3 where a dog causes damage by killing or injuring livestock, any person who is a keeper of the dog is strictly liable for the damage. When we talk of strict liability it means that the liability will fall on the on the dog owner without the need to make a finding of fault. As such the law is slanted in your favour. That said, any claim for damages will be strictly governed by ordinary legal principles, for example you will only be able to recover reasonable foreseeable losses and you would have a duty to mitigate such losses. You will need to provide evidence to the market value, costs breeding programmes and so on.
Depending on the nature of your farm, some of the animals kept may extend to non-traditional livestock and, as such , fall outside the legal definition – which is governed by Section 11 of the Animals Act 1971. In this scenario, you would still have recourse to claim damages in a claim of negligence or nuisance, albeit you would have the additional hurdle of proving fault.

UK Law -Dogs (Protection of Livestock) Act 1953
Under the Dogs (Protection of Livestock) Act 1953 it is a criminal offence for a dog to attack, chase, injure or to be out of control around livestock or agricultural land with the dog owner being absolutely liable for damages. Farmers are entitled to shoot dogs worrying livestock in fields.
The law is designed to punish the owner of any dog found worrying livestock on agricultural land.

For this piece of legislation to be used, the dog must be found attacking or chasing livestock or at large, not on a lead or under control, in a field or enclosure containing livestock. An offence is punishable by a fine on the owner or keeper of the dog of up to £1,000.

The Animals Act 1971 can also be used in cases where a dog is caught worrying livestock. It states anyone who is the keeper of a dog that is caught damaging by killing or injuring livestock is liable for the damage. This means the farmer can sue the dog owner for compensation.

In certain circumstances, a farmer or landowner has the right to shoot a dog found attacking or worrying his or her livestock, for example to act for the protection of any livestock if, and only if, either the dog is worrying or about to worry the livestock and there are no other reasonable means of ending or preventing the worrying; or the dog has been worrying livestock, has not left the vicinity and is not under the control of any person and there are no practicable means of ascertaining to who it belongs.

paddy555

Visit site
I am genuinely intersted in how/what you would do to better train though.

We were riding towards the dogs and owner and did what I would normally do and that is stop and wait for dog owner to get dogs. Which she obviously failed to do. So horses didnt spook as they werent surprised by them.

I was in your position many times on a narrow bridlepath with owners and dogs not under control running towards us. Usually tourists. He was a bit nervous but I finally had enough. I taught him to stop and stand facing them. Then to walk very slowly and very firmly forward. Almost at funeral march speed. Slow because I want a seriously under control and threatening horse not charging at them which sets the horse up to panic. After a while owner comes into view, they usually panic at their dogs being pursued by a horse who is walking so slowly he appears massive. They ask if I can stop the horse, I tell them yes, keep walking and ask them to get the dogs under control. We have this exchange a few times and finally they get the message and call the dogs back. I would never hurt the dogs but I just got fed up with the owners letting them run out of control.

After a while horse got to be very confident and started to enjoy the new game. It is now heaven help farm collies. He is straight up there and at them before they slink away. After a few very large dogs on bridlepaths he thinks sheepdogs are small fry!

I have had 2 dogs attached to our horses legs on bridlepaths and one pit bull type thing with my horse's leg in it's jaws. I don't put up with the "my dog isn't scared of horses, he's only playing" type of comments.
I have had many dogs and I also own a dog lead which seems to solve this sort of problem!

pennyturner

Visit site
As regards training, I have the ponies on the lawn from time to time, which they consider to be a monster treat... best lush grass, and all that. Frequently, at the same time, we bring out the mastiffs, and play a bit of footie... now these are native ponies, so they're not going to let a couple of idiotic great pooches get in the way of good eating. Now all totally dog-proof! :D

The worst dog situation I had, the dog was on a lead. Idiot owner allowed the little terrier to run, whilst wearing his extendible lead under the pony and at least 3 times around his legs, effectively binding his front legs with the lead. Dog then started jumping 3' in the air under pony's nose repeatedly. Now, I happen to know that that pony would happily kill a loose dog, but he wasn't frightened, and obeyed my aids to stand completely still whilst the owner's slightly less dufus friend undid the damage. Imagine how bad that would have been if the pony had tried to run!

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
As regards training, I have the ponies on the lawn from time to time, which they consider to be a monster treat... best lush grass, and all that. Frequently, at the same time, we bring out the mastiffs, and play a bit of footie... now these are native ponies, so they're not going to let a couple of idiotic great pooches get in the way of good eating. Now all totally dog-proof! :D

The worst dog situation I had, the dog was on a lead. Idiot owner allowed the little terrier to run, whilst wearing his extendible lead under the pony and at least 3 times around his legs, effectively binding his front legs with the lead. Dog then started jumping 3' in the air under pony's nose repeatedly. Now, I happen to know that that pony would happily kill a loose dog, but he wasn't frightened, and obeyed my aids to stand completely still whilst the owner's slightly less dufus friend undid the damage. Imagine how bad that would have been if the pony had tried to run!

Something similar happened to us!
A silly spaniel was allowed by its even sillier owner to run under the Appaloosa while on its extending lead, out the other side and round the back. The mare, who isn't frightened of dogs, stood still and waited for the owner to extricate the dog and lead. We were on the road, too! Fortunately a very quiet road and no traffic came, while all this was going on.

Spottyappy

Visit site
Touch wood, the one and only time I have had a dog come at me and a friend out riding, was on a main road.
The dog flew out of a house on the opposite side of the road, oblivious to the owner calling it.
It was hit by a car and died.
Was a horrible thing to witness, but we were very glad that happened, as suspect the way the dog and owner reacted, it may we’ll have actually attacked the Horses.
It was a German shepherd.
I am not sure anyone can factor in “training” of their horse for this situation. You would need a dog In the first instance, and then a dog which not only has a good recall but will chase a horse and rider in a controlled environment.
Glad you are ok, op. I hope your horse is sensible next time he is out and meets dogs.

pennyturner

Visit site
On a lighter note, we had a bull dog come delightedly barrelling up to us in a local park. I was riding a stallion, so had good reason to be a bit concerned, but just pulled up the horse to give the owner chance to get the dog, and minimise chances of the horse deciding to chase it.

What actually happened is that the bulldog came right up underneath the horse's nose, and the horse put his head right down to the dog. Dog just wanted to lick the pony's face, and pony just wanted a better look at the really funny looking dog. They were best friends instantly.

Dave's Mam

Visit site
I get fed up shouting "Call your dog!" "He's not doing anything, he's friendly!" as it runs right up to me & nips heels. "Your dog is going to get kicked if you don't call it"

*sigh*

Shantara

Visit site
I always speak to dogs in the voice my dog trainer uses, which is high pitched and happy! Not that it matters, but I usually say things like "Hey doggo! Where's your Mummy/Daddy? What are you doing? Lookin' at the scary pony?" It has never failed to work. I find if I use an angry voice, it just scares the horse more.
Before I discovered this, I would ride towards the dogs and push the horse onwards, they weren't allowed to stop. Even wimpy old Ned took on a pack of 4 growling and barking dogs of various sizes, who backed down when they realised I wasn't going to. I didn't get an apology then, either. :/

The attitude of the women would have annoyed me too, I would have been in tears if my dog had done that! Though I suspect when people act unbothered, it's a failed attempt to calm the situation, but instead it just annoys the "victim" more! My dog has been attacked several times and many owners just shrug it off!
On the training the dog side of things, I took Tam to a team chasing event on Sunday and it was a perfect training ground! I think she made some real progress!

exracehorse

Visit site
Not dog attack but a local lady to me in Sudbury Suffolk was riding her horse with another and they met some escaped buffalos who charged. They had to gallop flat out along a narrow path with the buffalo behind. She came off her horse. I saw the photos they took. Must have been the worst hack ever

dominobrown

Visit site
Not dog attack but a local lady to me in Sudbury Suffolk was riding her horse with another and they met some escaped buffalos who charged. They had to gallop flat out along a narrow path with the buffalo behind. She came off her horse. I saw the photos they took. Must have been the worst hack ever

What, you mean she hadn't de-senstisied her horse to buffalos before she hacked out? How irresponsible. As its been said you need to train your horse for EVERY eventualility.
Before hacking out she should of simply bought a pet buffalo and......

exracehorse

Visit site
What, you mean she hadn't de-senstisied her horse to buffalos before she hacked out? How irresponsible. As its been said you need to train your horse for EVERY eventualility.
Before hacking out she should of simply bought a pet buffalo and......
lol. They were huge! Apparently they’ve escaped before. She said at one point one was charging next to her and the others behind. With the horses obviously freaking out.

Equi

Visit site
Driving a car is a risk that’s why there are certain things done and not done to mitigate the risk.

If you have an incident where your horse spooks and runs off out of control (ie you cannot stop it within a few strides) and you do not consider the horse needs further training to enable it to cope with a situation, then you are negligent in the extreme.

A barking dog is NOT enough of an excuse for a horse to take flight. There are barking out of control dogs everywhere. As I said it’s a daily occurance for me. I hate it and I hate the people who think it’s acceptable to allow their dogs to do this BUT I have trained my horses to stand their ground or if necessary advance on the dogs to protect ourselves.

I can’t actually believe people think it’s acceptable for a horse to run away out of control from something as mundane as a barking dog. If that is the case then you must also accept that barking out of control dogs are just following their instincts too!

Two large German shepherds in attack mode is hardly mundane. You’re insane.

Clodagh

Visit site
Two large German shepherds in attack mode is hardly mundane. You’re insane.

I don't know abnout the insane but I imagine 2 GSDs approaching would be using that fixed stare that is their trademark, and which indicates imminent attack to a prey animal. It is an exceptional horse that will stand while being stalked and eyed up by something like that. It is toally different to a barking dog that wants to play or chase, wanting to attack has a totally different 'feel' about it.
And no I wasn't there, but that is how I read it.

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
Even with the best horses, there's a chance that there will be something that will set them off one day-whether its a strange dog, or a gas gun in a new place or a dalek, or someone leading two donkeys in the middle of nowhere with a pram with an awning (I met a dalek once, I kid you not). Thats hacking and that's the risk you take.

My old horse looked at dogs as if he wanted to take one apart and I had strange dogs jumping up at me on occasion and he didnt care-he was an exceptionally bold horse (even the dalek didnt phase him) and well, bullfighting bred so not all that typical (and I saw him grab two dogs in his lifetime that pissed him off). The Exmoors have a low tolerance with loose dogs and will kick-the Fell seems to be of a similar disposition and I care not if they were to kick a strange dog that ignored any warnings.

There will always be loose dogs-either deliberately or by accident, people are ignorant and dog owners seem to be particularly entitled. I agree talking to the dog as Chan describes can works but multiple dogs are a different story and a stalking dog different again. There's no easy answer-prepare as well as you can, support any efforts to educate dog owners (and cyclists and kids any other hacking hazards-although daleks are very difficult to educate and expect buffalo are similar) and accept the risk.

Crugeran Celt

Visit site
The strangest thing I have come across whilst hacking and in all fairness to my pony she just pranced and snorted past it was a baby elephant. Have no idea why a man was walking a baby elephant through a small Welsh village and never saw it again. Just glad it was my little mare because if my cob I own now came across an elephant I think hw would have a heart attack.