Chatsworth bridleways

Claire&troy

New User
Visit site
Hi. I'm hoping to load up and take my horses a route around chatsworth.
We will be parking at carlton lees.
Can anyone recommend a nice route, hopefully with an idiot proof map ?
There's obviously loads of open fields but I've been unable.to identify where the bridlepaths are.
TIA

EnduroRider

Visit site
Looking at the OS map there is a bridleway from Calton Lees towards Edensor but nothing in the park closer to Chatsworth House and to the East of the B6012. There are a lot of 'other road/path/track's shown but nothing that is explicitly a bridleway and that you can be sure of being able to have access to.

Hopefully someone that knows the area rather than just looking at the map will be along with better news!

GinaGeo

Visit site
Yes I've ridden it.

There are some steep uphills and descents. Nothing my horses can’t cope with, but I know some that I’ve ridden with would turn a funny shade of Green at the thought of riding down something steep and rocky. I also have one I wouldn’t have taken as he wouldn’t enjoy it. The sure footed natives were fine though!

I've marked the route I rode on the map below. The red circled bits are the steep sections. I rode it anti-clockwise. There is a big gate to do riding into Edensor as well.

I probably also wouldn’t ride it in the damp as the rocks will be slippy.

It is a truly beautiful ride though. I tend to do it early morning in Summer when you’ve got the place to yourself. ?

Attachments

• D88D615A-692F-4AAA-8B9B-B05612283476.jpeg
    D88D615A-692F-4AAA-8B9B-B05612283476.jpeg
    367 KB · Views: 46

Claire&troy

New User
Visit site
Looking at the OS map there is a bridleway from Calton Lees towards Edensor but nothing in the park closer to Chatsworth House and to the East of the B6012. There are a lot of 'other road/path/track's shown but nothing that is explicitly a bridleway and that you can be sure of being able to have access to.

Hopefully someone that knows the area rather than just looking at the map will be along with better news!
It’s a beautiful ride.

View attachment 86375View attachment 86375
View attachment 86376

I have a photograph of the steeper section. But it really doesn’t show how steep it is. I’ve been down worse. But you do need a sensible horse.

View attachment 86378

It is a lovely ride though

Claire&troy

New User
Visit site
Wow these are fantastic pics thank you !!!
Did you park at carlton lees then go right past the garden centre ? I'm hoping to find the bridle path from there.. also does it take you into Edensor? How long a route is it ? Sorry for all the questions xx

Claire&troy

New User
Visit site
Yes I've ridden it.

There are some steep uphills and descents. Nothing my horses can’t cope with, but I know some that I’ve ridden with would turn a funny shade of Green at the thought of riding down something steep and rocky. I also have one I wouldn’t have taken as he wouldn’t enjoy it. The sure footed natives were fine though!

I've marked the route I rode on the map below. The red circled bits are the steep sections. I rode it anti-clockwise. There is a big gate to do riding into Edensor as well.

I probably also wouldn’t ride it in the damp as the rocks will be slippy.

It is a truly beautiful ride though. I tend to do it early morning in Summer when you’ve got the place to yourself. ?

Claire&troy

New User
Visit site
Thanks for this..
Did you Park at carlton lees ? If so did you turn right past the garden centre ? Is it easy to pick up the bridle path? Xx

GinaGeo

Visit site
Yes. Parked at Carlton Lees, turned right after passing the garden centre.

I use an App called Outdoor Active that allows you to map a ride and then track yourself on it. Really helpful when going somewhere new!

GinaGeo

Visit site
I think it takes about 3hrs ?

The ground was too hard when we were there. And will probably be too soft now - but there are grassy sections.