Cheap but decent hat cam - do they exist?

Lexi_

Visit site
As the title says really! I'm lost in a loop of conflicting Amazon reviews and old threads on here and getting nowhere. The cheap ones all seem to be terrible in terms of quality and recording time and the good ones are megabucks - I'm in search of a happy medium.

I don't need anything amazing in terms of quality as I just want it to record hacks so I can look back when I'm ancient and indulge in wistful sighs about my galloping days :D

When I say cheap, I mean definitely under £50 (it's a complete indulgence rather than an actual need, so I can't spend much on it) so no point suggesting Go Pros or anything like that. Has anyone tried and tested any of the cheap alternatives?

Thanks in advance!

EmmaB

Visit site
What sort of recording time are you after? For video quality 1080p is hd, 720 is lower but still good. I have a sunco off amazon, was £80 buy I've seen ones cheaper on there with a different name that look exactly the same. I'm sure even argos/tesco so cheap ones around £40?

elisebev

Visit site
Ive just treated myself to an sj4000 helmet cam off ebay. Ive wanted one for ages but didnt want to spend a fortune. It only cost £30 and seems to get good reviews(i went for the wifi version - they do a non wifi version which is half the price. I revkoned at that price it was worth the experiment. Im off on a riding safari in 5 weeks time with hollywoozle and a few others so it will be a while before i try it

huskydamage

Visit site
I used a 20quid mini cam i bought off ebay and its rubbish it either films the sky or the floor and there is no way to check the position (or if its even turned on and recording) until you plug it into computer. Will watch this thread with interest but im hoping someone might get me a go pro for xmas /birthday!

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I have a Chilli Tech from Amazon, it was around £30, but you still had to buy a card to go in it. I think it is this one... http://www.amazon.co.uk/Chilli-Tech...=1457164322&sr=1-1&keywords=chilli+technology

On sunny days the video is OK, not good enough to read number plates, but OK. I will upload a short clip.

In the more gloomy weather is is not as good, this is a longer clip, the camera captured all 1 1/2 hours I was riding in files of half an hour each... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tOzNvUfuu4

I also use it for recording lessons, my trainer can wear it, and they forget they are wearing it, and tra la, a lesson is recorded! I had permission to upload onto Youtube, but not to post on HHO, so it can be found for a lesson around the same date as the above link.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I have uploaded one from a sunny, day, but maybe I was deluded in thinking the picture was better in sunshine!

But, I love riding the Jay Man, even now he is retired, especially the clip clop of unshod hooves!

[video=youtube_share;t3mFT7s6wIY]https://youtu.be/t3mFT7s6wIY[/video]

Like you, I like to remember our rides, and also it means I have a record of any incidents.