"Cheap" cob - an update and a few more questions...

SatansLittleHelper

Visit site
A couple of people may remember this thread last year...I wanted to do an update and ask a couple of questions.....

https://forums.horseandhound.co.uk/threads/hind-limb-lameness-thoughts.790704/#post-14322412

Cob had quite bad white line disease and it's taken my friend, farrier and I until Xmas to get this right. 4 weekly trims, continuous cleaning, copious amounts of peroxide have finally paid off.
He also had lazer surgery in September to remove 5 sarcoids, one of which had grown and ulcerated at an alarming rate.
Physio initially found some tenderness and gave us some stretching homework to do with him, 4 weeks later there was a marked improvement so we had the go ahead after 7 months to get him under saddle.
My lighter weight friend came over for a week to ride him and here we discover further issues....cob now walking out as though every step is agony, vet out, bute trial decided on.
Bute helped a little but not significantly. Farrier came out and said his frogs in both fronts seemed to be growing faster than the hoof...pared these back and we had an improvement. Little man still didn't seem happy and farrier came out again and it was decided to finally try some front shoes. This had been avoided up til now due to the poor hoof still growing out causing concerns that the hoof wall would be damaged further by the nails etc plus he has odd shaped feet meaning he has to have back shoes on at the front lol.
Anyhow, front shoes have made a significant difference to him, he's much happier.
BUT something is still not quite right. When we walk him out in hand he is much more forward going now but still holds his ears back and looks worried. At the start of the walk he licks his tongue out constantly but does settle. Short bursts of trot make him do one big cough but no more. He blows out alot as though he's knackered despite not doing anything strenuous. He's not stressed in terms of traffic etc, he's literally the most bombproof (for want of a better word) guy I have ever met. He's as honest as the day is long and he tries so hard.
We are starting to wonder if PSSM might be the issue but then he doesn't show the "classic" symptoms and the vet was unconvinced when I mentioned it. We will likely test him for it anyway to rule it out.
A small fortune has been spent on him and obviously there is going to have to be a cut off point but there is something about him that makes us want to keep trying for him.
Advice, suggestions etc gratefully received :)

SatansLittleHelper

Visit site
No, he did go in for x-rays initially but the vets discovered the WLD and that was decided to be the cause initially. Problem now is that money is running out, my friend had resigned herself to this guy not being quite right and bought herself another pony. The plan, if we can get this guy right, is that a friend will have him as a happy hacker but obviously he needs to be ok first.

HobleytheTB

Visit site
Lucky cob!

X-rays would probably be a good idea and then you at least know if the problem lies there, and what can be done to accommodate it in terms of shoeing etc. Especially if he has odd feet anyway!

SEL

Visit site
Is he rugged? Sounds like my friend's cob who she hasn't ridden for years because of "not quite right" issues. He's always been naked until she decided to see if a rug would help and it turns out he's a different horse in 100g and an exercise rug on his in hand walks. She's started treating him like PSSM even though he's negative and all in a happier horse.

It's tough with a freebie / cheap horse to know how much to plough into vets etc. I have one who has cost a fortune and i should probably just accept the fact that riding isn't in her future ?

SatansLittleHelper

Visit site
Not given much thought to rugging him warm as he's super fluffy....he has a rainsheet if it's cold and wet though ? Worth a thought.
I've started him on Vit E from Progressive Earth a week ago as I bought it for my own horses and thought it might help him.

SatansLittleHelper

Visit site
I just wanted to add that he has had his teeth done, physio has been out several times, his saddle has been checked and fits correctly, and we have been working very closely with the farrier.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Foot X-rays shouldn’t cost too much (£300?). We’ll worth doing. After that a ‘final’ decision can be made.

Bet the woman who sold him was rubbing her hands in glee ?

SEL

Visit site
Strangely there are no regrets in buying him, he's the sweetest boy.
I think you might be right on the xrays...we will have to dig deep for the cash lol.

I don't regret any of my freeebies either - although I'm beginning to think I have enough practical experience to qualify as a vet lol.

Worth trying a rug - it's cheap to see if he's tight somewhere because he's cold.

RHM

Visit site
Definitely sounds like foot pain could be the cause. Just a thought it could be thrush in his heel, I have seen a horse absolutely crippled by it. He is a lucky chap to have landed with you, most wouldn’t investigate.

laura_nash

towercottage.weebly.com
Definitely sounds like foot pain could be the cause. Just a thought it could be thrush in his heel, I have seen a horse absolutely crippled by it. He is a lucky chap to have landed with you, most wouldn’t investigate.

Agreed. Have you tried the "nappy test"? If not, might be worth doing. Basically duct tape some big nappies to the front feet and see if it makes any difference, usually suggested when your taking a horse barefoot and deciding it if needs boots but a good test generally for footiness / sole or frog issues. I've not tried it over shoes but in theory should work I would think.

IME white line disease doesn't just happen, unless there was an injury or his feet were very neglected I'd be wondering about stretched laminae due to diet as a cause (sugar sensitivity, mineral deficiency, food intolerance etc) which might also cause sole sensitivity and susceptibility to thrush. What was his weight like when you got him and what is it like now?

I hope you can get him right, for light hacking at least.

SatansLittleHelper

Visit site
IME white line disease doesn't just happen, unless there was an injury or his feet were very neglected I'd be wondering about stretched laminae due to diet as a cause (sugar sensitivity, mineral deficiency, food intolerance etc) which might also cause sole sensitivity and susceptibility to thrush. What was his weight like when you got him and what is it like now?

I hope you can get him right, for light hacking at least.

Our farrier believes that it had been over a year since he'd seen a farrier in his previous home, he was somewhat neglected. He was fat but his weight is tricky to ascertain as he is very short bodied so he always looks chubby. He's definitely lost weight though and neither the farrier nor the vet feel laminitis has been a previous issue.
However, we will look into dietary issues. He currently had Spillers Daily Balancer, Spillers Speedy Mash, Top Spec Chop Lite and natural Vit E supplement. Aside that, just hay.

SatansLittleHelper

Visit site
I'd test for PSSM before you do anything else. Hes the right type and hes showing symptoms. Type 1 test is £30 so worth ruling it out. I am yet to meet a vet who knows anything about PSSM sadly so I wouldnt take a vet saying its not PSSM as anything conclusive.

I think this is the first part of the plan. The vet seemed sure it wouldn't be that but he also said that cobs weren't terribly prone to it and yet I believe that's untrue. ???

Some slight similarities to my Fell who has EMS. Hoof sensitivity is the biggest issue. Mine wears boots for driving.

Thank you, will look into the EMS.