Cheap rugs for Cobs anyone tried Saxon?

Horsekaren

Visit site
having been disappointed with the Amigo fit and unable to afford another Rambo im looking for a cheap middle weight combo rug for a middleweight traditional cob.

I am looking to spend no more that £50.00, this is just a rug for Snow and super cold wet weather so wont be used often, doesn't need to last years, just want something at the ready if we get heavy snow... not that it is due, im just thinking of last march bitter cold snap:p (horses lives out)

Brands i dont for snow are - PE or Ruggles as they are too flappy underneath. Geetac is a no go as the Combos dont fit either.

Any suggestions?
Thanks

Horsekaren

Visit site
Unfortunately Equador dont have any in his size :(

i actually really rate Saxon, yes they are cheap and cheerful but i've two that have really held up for a few years now
Do you find they are really flappy around the back end? i never use leg straps i only use a fillet string so don't want something that will blow over his head. In the pictures they look like the almost cup under a bit like the horseware rugs :)

Horsekaren

Visit site
What is he currently wearing?
If it’s a good make why not pop a liner under it?

Really cheap rugs are a false economy IMO.
He has a 100g Rambo, i worry if its heavy snow the liner will stop the heat from his body keeping the outer rug dry. I'm sure they have invested money in researching this but im not sure im convinced.

be positive

Visit site
My old boy is wearing a Saxon, it must be 5 years old at least, given to me by a livery who sold her horse, it is a bit lacking in depth but serves it's purpose, never moves and doesn't leak, I have had a few over the years and for the money they are not bad.

ihatework

Visit site
He has a 100g Rambo, i worry if its heavy snow the liner will stop the heat from his body keeping the outer rug dry. I'm sure they have invested money in researching this but im not sure im convinced.

In the nicest possible way, it must be very stressful worrying about such random things.

I really don’t get the logic of putting on a budget rug when you have a bloody good Rambo that you know fits.

Horsekaren

Visit site
In the nicest possible way, it must be very stressful worrying about such random things.

I really don’t get the logic of putting on a budget rug when you have a bloody good Rambo that you know fits.
I'm not worrying, i just like to have every thing covered. The way i see it is why spend £80.00 - £100.00 on a liner when i can spend 50 on a rug. Plus flapping about with liners in a field in the dark i'm not sure i can be bothered with.

Horsekaren

Visit site
I was wondering when this heavy snow was due?
HAHA!!! Are you trying to tell me no one else is panic buying snow rugs when the temperature is sent to be in double figures for the next 2 weeks :eek: Really, just me??? :D

I would put money on the fact before spring arrives there is going to be a cold snap, i think the big man upstairs wouldn't let me get away with a first winter out that easy!

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
I second getting a 100g liner for the Rambo to give you a middleweight option with that rug. :) I've used up to 300g liners with my old Rambo Duo and never had an issue. See snowy photo.

100_0992.jpg

Rosiejazzandpia

Visit site
I'm not keen on Saxon as I've had a couple that weren't waterproof and I think they're only 600d outer.
I use weatherbeeta on my cob; I borrowed one from a friend to trial the fit and have slowly built up a small wardrobe. The comfitec range are really good and worth their money.
I have a no fill, a 50g and a 100g that takes a liner. So far I've only used the no fill and the 50g for my warm fully clipped cob. I've got a 200g detachable neck to sell in 6'3 if anyone is interested as I just won't use it on my warm girl.

Molasses

Visit site
Do you find they are really flappy around the back end? i never use leg straps i only use a fillet string so don't want something that will blow over his head. In the pictures they look like the almost cup under a bit like the horseware rugs :)

no, not really, in fact their failing is they can be short so not a lot of rug to flap really :) as someone mentioned they can be a bit mini-skirt, but i'm not a fan of big heavy long rugs so mini-skirt is ok with me really.

MuddyTB

Visit site
I bought a cheap lightweight Saxon for my TB years ago. It was decent quality and waterproof but really small. Could have done with a size bigger and even then it was very short as others have said.
I recently bought a Derby House 1200D for under £50 and lovely and deep. So far so good but not had it long enough to really test it.
Also know a lot of people who use Gallop rugs which are very reasonable.

Horsekaren

Visit site
I'm not keen on Saxon as I've had a couple that weren't waterproof and I think they're only 600d outer.
I use weatherbeeta on my cob; I borrowed one from a friend to trial the fit and have slowly built up a small wardrobe. The comfitec range are really good and worth their money.
I have a no fill, a 50g and a 100g that takes a liner. So far I've only used the no fill and the 50g for my warm fully clipped cob. I've got a 200g detachable neck to sell in 6'3 if anyone is interested as I just won't use it on my warm girl.
i have sent you a pm :)

GoldenWillow

Visit site
My cob usually lives in either a no fill or 100g turnout when he's just chaser clipped. On the rare occasion he's needed something more, usually when it's cold, wet and windy, I just pop his spare 100g turnout under his usual 100g.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I quite rate derby house rugs and I recently bout a John Whittaker 200g and it's a really nice rug and they are often on offer on Hope Valley, but in your situation I would get a liner my friend customised some cheaper ones to attach to her Rambo rugs and they do the job.

Pinkvboots

Visit site

Why could it not have been 6 foot I would have had that off you!

catkin

Visit site
I have found Saxon rugs very good for ponies as they are not too long in the body so they are protected across the back but can move freely. I know someone who likes them for lanky youngsters for the same reason.

PS I take off the legstraps and replace with a fillet string.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
I have the same Rambo rug as you, and the liners work very well with it. I have them in 100g, 200g and 300g weights. You really are worrying over nothing :).

image.jpeg

Leo Walker

Visit site
You can get the liners for less than £50 and no, liners dont allow the outer to get wet. If it worked like that then the 200gm rug outer would get wet would it not?!

I have a 6/6ft3 100gm combo liner I will happily sell you for £20 if that helps