Cheap rugs for Cobs anyone tried Saxon?

JJS

Visit site
Liners actually seem to make rugs more waterproof, IME.

However, if you'd rather not use them, Shires are cheap, cheerful, and usually do the job.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Liners actually seem to make rugs more waterproof, IME.

However, if you'd rather not use them, Shires are cheap, cheerful, and usually do the job.

I think liners stop the horse's own perspiration making the rug wet from the inside. I get the same effect in coats that I wear myself.

TGM

Visit site
Have a look on the Maxima Equestrian website- they have an end of season offer on combo turnouts. MW 200g combo turnout is £49 with free delivery. 1200 denier outer, fully adjustable front fastenings and a good fit on cobs.

MrsMurs

Visit site
having been disappointed with the Amigo fit and unable to afford another Rambo im looking for a cheap middle weight combo rug for a middleweight traditional cob.

I am looking to spend no more that £50.00, this is just a rug for Snow and super cold wet weather so wont be used often, doesn't need to last years, just want something at the ready if we get heavy snow... not that it is due, im just thinking of last march bitter cold snap:p (horses lives out)

Brands i dont for snow are - PE or Ruggles as they are too flappy underneath. Geetac is a no go as the Combos dont fit either.

Any suggestions?
Thanks

I think Gallop rugs are good for cobby types. I have two now and find they are good quality and value and a good fit.

npage123

Visit site
I've never had a Saxon turnout, but have got a Saxon fleece, and on my 16.2 TB it's not roomy enough over the withers and too tight on his shoulder area, so if I use this rug as an underrug for turnout, it must be annoying for him over the withers and within days he'll loose a lot of hair along the shoulders. So I now only use it if I really have to and only in the stable.

I think Saxon is made by Weatherbeeta? Maybe someone else can tell us if that is the case? I experienced the same problems with Weatherbeeta as with Saxon, so now stick to any Horseware make of rug. Fits him perfectly all-over.

Nicnac

Visit site
Have a look on the Maxima Equestrian website- they have an end of season offer on combo turnouts. MW 200g combo turnout is £49 with free delivery. 1200 denier outer, fully adjustable front fastenings and a good fit on cobs.
Agree my Maxima 200gr is on its 3rd winter despite a rug wrecking field companion. Wish they did the same in 100gr!

Saxon ok but think Gallop better and Maxima better than Gallop.

Reactions: TGM

Merrymoles

Visit site
Another vote for Shires. My horse got a new 100gm this year, only because his other one stunk to high heaven after wearing it for three winters and I wanted to have one for "in the wash" as it is the heaviest rug he wears. Fits beautifully and I've never had one leak either. I think it cost £47. He will be back in a no-fill this week but I have been soft so far because it's so flipping icy every morning.