Cheap solution to mud glorious mud!!

tankgirl1

Visit site
Hi
My ponies winter paddock is at the bottom of a hill and is completely clarted up with mud! They're not the type to hoon about, its just really deep wet mud, it came over my wellies the other day :(
Their stable isn't on hardstanding, and the area around that is getting really muddy too... I'd like to try and sort something, mainly around the stable as I think the paddock is probably a lost cause, but I don't have much money, and it can't be anything that would require planning such as putting hardstanding in. I'd like to have a few ideas so that I can approach YO with a plan, and I was wondering if anyone could help please?

tankgirl1

Visit site
I have paving slabs laid rough side up on a bed of sand. You can't lay them when muddy but something to consider when dry again.

Do they not sink when it gets wet? And would they be easy enough to remove if I left the yard? Not planning on leaving but YO will probably want to know how permanent any solution I go to her with is... thankyou btw

WelshD

Visit site
I laid some terram style meshing outside my stables, it isn't quite as solid as hard standing, my feet get muddy but its no more than a cm or so deep

meleeka

Visit site
Do they not sink when it gets wet? And would they be easy enough to remove if I left the yard? Not planning on leaving but YO will probably want to know how permanent any solution I go to her with is... thankyou btw

No they haven't moved. I got the slabs off gumtree and the sand from a builders merchants. The sand is about 4 inches deep.

twiggy2

Visit site
Once it is that deep you have lost the opportunity to do anything till it has dried out again. If it is deep enough to go over your wellies the horses need to be fenced of it as it really is high risk for injuries though.
It is also worth bearing in mind most of the cheaper options may need to be fenced of in show or icy weather as they can be really slippery in those conditions.

Last edited:

Akarno

Visit site
If the area around stable isn't beyond it quite yet perhaps a load of bark chippings would help? I get the 'dross' from a biomass plant that has wastage from the chipping process and use it for gate ways etc.

_HP_

Visit site
Rubber stable mats work a treat on deep mud...I use them in my gateways with great success

poiuytrewq

Visit site
If you know someone in construction these might be an option, I have one and it's really good, very solid

http://www.groundaccesshire.co.uk/construction.html

Sometimes takes a while for the horses to get used to the sound and feel but mine love the one I've got

These are actually really good. Last year the electricity people came in January and dug a huge trench across my already suffering little paddock. Once filled it again of course the ground was too loose for the horses so we covered the area and gateway with these boards. The clip together so no risk of tripping or moving around.
Agree about the noise though! One tried to jump it every morning at first 😂 They soon got used to it though and I used it as a good hard standing for feeding hay.