Cheap tow vehicle - suggestions?

{108361}

Visit site
Im after a cheap to buy and cheap to run 4 x 4 to tow one 15'1 horse, with capacity to tow another.

Budget is around £1500. I know thats not much.

Someone suggested a Kia Sorento but they are a bit above budget..... Any suggestions welcome!

ShowJumperL95

Visit site
I have an short wheel base shogun that has been the best purchase I have ever made! It is an older model so didn't cost a fortune and is actually quite an economical car is you look after it well. It tows my Ifor Williams HB11 with 2 16.3 in very easily even uphill.

Scarlett

Visit site
For that sort of money you will probably be looking at an older vehicle so I'm afraid it may not be cheap to run!

I used to have a Grand Cherokee 2.7crd which you can pick up for that money. Amazing car, I used it daily for 5 years until it literally fell apart. It wasnt the cheapest to run though - £305 tax and 28mpg average.

You might get a Freelander for your budget? Or another more car based 4x4 that just has enough towing capacity for 2? Rav4? Vitara?

Maybe look for a Nissan X-Trail?

GoldenWillow

Visit site
If you can find a Ford Maverick or Nissan Terrano they are good older tow vehicles. We only got around 33mpg which migt not be enough though.

xDundryx

Visit site
I picked up an old Freelander a couple of years ago which happily towed and wasn't 'too' bad on diesel however when something went wrong it wasn't cheap to fix. We now have a Mitsubishi Outlander which is fab x

{108361}

Visit site
Thanks - lots of good suggestions here, going to get on ebay and hopefully find one. Once Ive got the car then its the towing licence and then a trailer.......god horses are an expensive hobby!

alexomahony

Visit site
I bought my Kia Sorento for £1.5k and it's a wonderful vehicle - both towing and not. It's a 2004 model but you'd have no idea it was that old driving it (maybe because it's the newest car I've ever owned!)

It's smooth, in great condition and looks really smart. When I was shopping there were plenty around the price.

buying used cars is hard - I was lucky that I had my Dad with me who is an MOT tester and mechanic and generally knows what to look for but tips are:

- Try find something under, or as close to 100k miles as possible
- Always buy with a NEW MOT... even if it's got 8 months left on it, get it done. Mine needed £500 worth of welding under it so instead of the old owner getting this done, they dropped £500 off the price. I was slightly out of pocket as I needed to have a new MOT done but so glad I did this and wasn't £500 down!
- When test driving (if possible) put your foot down and make sure the turbo is kicking in correctly
- Don't buy the first thing you see, shop around and try different cars. I was sure I wanted a SWB Pajero, but turns out I didn't like how they drove and loved the Sorento instead.

Good luck with your search!

alexomahony

Visit site
Oh, I've just seem ROG's post about you having a B license.

In that case I'd look at first and second Gen SWB RAV4's. I LOVED mine - they're old and you can pick them up super cheap and they tow nicely. Just be aware that any car that allows you to tow horses on a B license won't be ideal for the job of towing horses, even if they are able. Don't push it's limits too much and it'll run forever :)

x

Landcruiser

Visit site
With anything you are interested in having a look at, check its registration on the government website. Also check it has a decent service history. I saved myself a wasted journey to Bristol at the weekend where I was going to view a 2005 Navara with only 1 prev owner and less that 60,000 on the clock for a good price. There was no service history. The MOT history showed a catalogue of fails and advisories, there was an outstanding safety recall that hadn't been done, and the vehicle was plainly an absolute dog.
The L2000 I bought later that day has sailed through its last 2 MOTs without advisories, theres a decent but not full service history which details when the timing belt was done (another very important thing to note). I also researched known issues eg cracked leaf springs - crawled underneath it to find a cracked leaf spring - as well as one or two other little issues, so they are being sorted before I collect and pay for it.
So - do your research, and the gov website is your friend!

Moomin1

Visit site
I have a 2004 Kia Sorrento to tow my 16.3hh in an IW 511 and it's a fab tow vehicle and in comparison to other vehicles which have the same tow capacity, pretty economical. That said, it isn't by any means 'cheap' to run - I don't think there is such a thing as a cheap to run tow vehicle. Purchase cost was over £3k for mine with 82k (diesel) on the clock (and in very good condition/full service history. I looked at lots ranging from around £1500 and in honesty I wouldn't have touched the cheaper ones with a barge pole. Covered in rust, dents and lack of service history. One even had a completely flat tyre and broken window when I viewed it :O

{108361}

Visit site
Lots to think about - thank you everyone for your input and suggestions.

Going to look at prices on the suggestions, including tax, mpg etc. Will also google search common faults on each vehicle and bear in mind to check these things when viewing.

I reckon buying a used car is a bit like buying a horse - you can do all your research and have MOTs and services but you can always blow a head gasket unexpectedly.... Big element of luck! Used car salesmen have a few things in common with some horse dealers too! lol

Last edited:

{108361}

Visit site
Thanks for this - finding a sorento for the budget is hard esp without having 150k plus mileage. Might keep hunting one of those out though -happy to drive anything really - have owned over 30 different cars in my lifetime - everything from a three wheeler to a transit van! lol

{108361}

Visit site
I bought my Kia Sorento for £1.5k and it's a wonderful vehicle - both towing and not. It's a 2004 model but you'd have no idea it was that old driving it (maybe because it's the newest car I've ever owned!)

It's smooth, in great condition and looks really smart. When I was shopping there were plenty around the price.

buying used cars is hard - I was lucky that I had my Dad with me who is an MOT tester and mechanic and generally knows what to look for but tips are:

- Try find something under, or as close to 100k miles as possible
- Always buy with a NEW MOT... even if it's got 8 months left on it, get it done. Mine needed £500 worth of welding under it so instead of the old owner getting this done, they dropped £500 off the price. I was slightly out of pocket as I needed to have a new MOT done but so glad I did this and wasn't £500 down!
- When test driving (if possible) put your foot down and make sure the turbo is kicking in correctly
- Don't buy the first thing you see, shop around and try different cars. I was sure I wanted a SWB Pajero, but turns out I didn't like how they drove and loved the Sorento instead.

Good luck with your search!
Thanks!

Leo Walker

Visit site
I've got an old Landrover. Its only used for towing and tip runs etc. Its scruffy and M reg so old! But it starts every time, first time and its lovely to drive! I suppose because when it was made it was top of the range and it aged well. It came with 12 months MOT and no scary advisories. I'm probably going to lose my driving licence on medical grounds so I'm supposed to be selling it. I love it so much that I keep putting it off.

{108361}

Visit site
I've got an old Landrover. Its only used for towing and tip runs etc. Its scruffy and M reg so old! But it starts every time, first time and its lovely to drive! I suppose because when it was made it was top of the range and it aged well. It came with 12 months MOT and no scary advisories. I'm probably going to lose my driving licence on medical grounds so I'm supposed to be selling it. I love it so much that I keep putting it off.

Which one is it and do you have a price in mind? I see you are in Northampton - Im in Peterborough so we could do a deal if you're selling!? Not sure how to pm people on here as Im fairly new to the forum....

roz84

Visit site
I recently bought a 2004 ssangyong rexton, I love it. It's got 3.5t towing capacity, a Mercedes engine and is huge. I paid £1100 ish for it, it's been looked after and had 90k on the clock. It has been reliable so far! Not the prettiest but I am hoping it will last me a good few years!

Suechoccy

Visit site
A Daihatsu Fourtrak will cost you around £1500, be about 17-20 years old, 2.8 turbo diesel does about 25mpg pulling 2 horses on a trailer. It can tow 2.5 tonne so you'll have plenty in hand. They're a fairlycompact 4x4, quite agricultural to drive (not as agricultural as a Land Rover though). Check for welding (floors and wheel arches and sills will need welding if not already done), engine generally bulletproof. And you can join the Daihatsu owners group on Facebook which is very friendly too.