Cheaper alternative to NAF Gastriaid- Yea Sacc?

rising_promise

Visit site
I feed this to my 5yo ex racehorse as when I got her she was very poor (she's not now!) and I was concerned about her gut health. She was also girthy so I thought I would give it a try just in case there was something going on. She is now in fantastic condition but I would like to continue giving her something for gut health. I do like the Gastriaid but it is pricy when used long term.

Can anyone recommend any alternatives- Brewers yeast or Yea sacc maybe?

She is fed Allen and Page's Calm and Condition, Alpha A and micronised Linseed.

Thanks very much :)

fuzzle

Visit site
Your lucky hun, i wold take him off the gastriaid and see how he does!!! all that gastriaid does is mask the problem!!! if he deteriates or becomes moody not going forward then you will know for sure if he has them!! if he is insured i would get him gastroscoped think that would put your mind at rest!! and you may save yourself money for something he does not need xxxx

HD15

Visit site
If you are just looking for a general tummy supplement and not an antacid you could try Pink Powder, also NAF. I don't know what the pricing is like though.

Brewer's Yeast you can get relatively cheaply (£6 for 900g) from places like Natural Horse Supplies. Lots of companies sell it. Some of the "name brand" ones are expensive and others pretty cheap.

I've used Gastriaid a little bit while I was waiting for a Protexin supplement to arrive. But my horse definitely did have ulcers. I probably would have stepped down to something like Pink Powder in the long term, if possible, but in the end he came off of everything as he is now about to be turned away for other issues.

rising_promise

Visit site
Thanks very much everyone. The more I read about each product I think Yea sacc will be the best thing for her and me. Relatively cheap to feed and makes for a healthy gut. I'll swap her onto that when the Gastriaid runs out :)

JoClark

Visit site
I agree that could be ulcers, my horses condition was fine but he was girthy. He has grade 1 and 2 ulcers. Being an ex racer, they are more prone to them. After the difference gastrogard has made to my horse then i would suggest scope, if you have no ulcers then its piece of mind. If you have them then gastrogard will sort it out.

Hedwards

Visit site
If you're after yea sacc based, have a look at Alltech Lifeforce, its fab stuff and you don't need to add any other vit/min supplement, highly rate it, works wonders for my gelding, and he has had ulcers.

If your horse is girthy and has had trouble with condition in the past, it does sound 'ulcery' to me, unless you've already scoped??