Cheapest bedding

Nudibranch

Visit site
I pay £2.75 a bale for straw from the barn, and last year my hay was £2.80, also from the barn, in June. I should have bought double the hay though as this wet winter I nearly ran out and am now on £5 bales 🙄. I've seen straw advertised in other parts of the country for £1 a bale! Depends how much arable farming goes on locally I guess. There will be various local FB groups with hay and straw for sale popping up regularly; the farming groups are better than the horse ones!

I do like shavings and wood pellets, but with prices these days and a field full of goats as well as the horses, they're just not an option other than a layer under the straw at kidding time.

Now isn't the best time to look tbh, but £60 for a big bale is a heck of a lot. I think the way the climate is changing, it's a case of get as much as you can while you can (so stock up more than you think in summer).

holeymoley

Visit site
Been £25 for a large straw throughout Winter, normally 1 a month for 2 horses. But I do like big fluffy beds. I also put sawdust underneath to soak up so roughly £40/£50 per month for that =£65 ish. Straw now up to £30per bale.

I've now changed back to deep litter shavings/sawdust which I'm struggling to accept means smaller beds! Last month was £85-ish. Shavings £10 per bale which is quite expensive to manage 2 on. I've now decided that mainly sawdust works better with a little shavings top up as we go along. Looking at approximately £60/£70-ish per month doing it this way. I really should replace the sawdust with wood pellets but it means buying in per pallet which is an output, but has a saving of roughly £75 and the wood pellets soak up more than sawdust.

Roll on lovely weather when at least one can spend most of his time out! Can't say the same for laminitic unfortunately who ironically pees about 10 times more!