Cheapest option (stable)

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
I have a 'broken stable', not safe for equine use as one corner is wobbly and one wall is damp and bowed -and there's no door! It's concrete block attached to a granite shed. Corrugated roof (OK) and concrete floor (OK). Unlikely to be decent foundations. Builders look at it and suck their teeth. To date, cheapest option has been not to fix and say no more horses! But...
I want another horse.
My two live mostly out, but having 3 horses and 2 stables would be an issue on the rare times they need to come in (e.g. when the wet gets ridiculous). OH is not keen on spending money on a stable I'd rarely use for a horse I don't really need (and can't really afford to buy). I kind of see his point. So, what do I do? The sensible thing (no more horses) or...

I could a) knock down and start again, b) try to rebuild the broken bits (and door) or c) replace with a wooden stable. I have no clue what the relative costs are likely to be - but the more I spend, the less I have for a horse anyway... I don't have construction equipment/skills and I work full time so self-build not really an option, though I can assist. Option d) is get 2 more horses, so 2 can stay out! But I think that might be pushing it... Or is there an option e)?
To me you have a few options.

1. Buy a new stable
  2. keep your eye out for a second hand one
  3. have some builders in to build a brick stable and concrete floor
  4. Buy a mobile stable
  5. Fix old one which by the sound of it is fit for bonfire unless you know a handy man who could reuse some parts and build a new one.
  6. Buy second hand doors.
If it is your land - you won't lose money on the stable as you could take it with you or sell it if you move.

claracanter

Visit site
I have a 5 horse 4 stables situation. Luckily one of my stables is a mahoosive Victorian foaling box so two go in together in the worst weather, like last night !
How hard can you push OH? Doesn’t sound like he’s totally against another hirse, I mean he’s basically said fix the wonky building and get another horse 😂

vhf

Visit site
I have a 5 horse 4 stables situation. Luckily one of my stables is a mahoosive Victorian foaling box so two go in together in the worst weather, like last night !
How hard can you push OH? Doesn’t sound like he’s totally against another hirse, I mean he’s basically said fix the wonky building and get another horse 😂
Well I did think if I got 2 youngsters, they could share the field shelter and the adults get the stables...

Highmileagecob

Visit site
At a pinch you could cover the wobbly corner with scaffold netting and jam two big bales against the external wall to prop it up. Any chance of fencing the stables into their own corral so all the horses could go in, with no stable door closed? If box rest needed, shut one door.

ihatework

Visit site
I’d prob just go for a mobile stable.
A new basic one delivered and erected will cost in region of 2k
Or an eye out on marketplace might find you a reasonably good second hand if you can collect and erect. Just checked and there is one for £800 near me.

vhf

Visit site
getting another horse, and a nice hardy shetland will probably cost less than building a new stable🤣🤣
No Shetlands!! (Ancient Cornish hedge = sh*tland playground. I can't cope with double fencing everywhere) At least the TB types (mostly) respect the visual separation of paddocks by lumps of granite and thorny bushes.

vhf

Visit site
I’d prob just go for a mobile stable.
A new basic one delivered and erected will cost in region of 2k
Or an eye out on marketplace might find you a reasonably good second hand if you can collect and erect. Just checked and there is one for £800 near me.
Yeah, this is what I am wondering... put something on the existing base rather than try and make good what's there.

vhf

Visit site
At a pinch you could cover the wobbly corner with scaffold netting and jam two big bales against the external wall to prop it up. Any chance of fencing the stables into their own corral so all the horses could go in, with no stable door closed? If box rest needed, shut one door.
Design of yard and position of end stable won't work with either of those options sadly... Though ex racer might quite like being able to get into the house, he's a sociable chap.

claracanter

Visit site
Well I did think if I got 2 youngsters, they could share the field shelter and the adults get the stables...
That’s defo a plan!!!😂I bought a youngster and am working on hubby to get another as my other horses are much older and I’m having to pay for youngstock livery

Reactions: vhf

inandout

Visit site
Dont know about cost but have known a few people convert loose boxes into stalls, it basicall doubles the horses you can get in. Seen some interesting debates on stalls v boxes for welfare including research that showed less sterotipic behaviours in stalls.

Reactions: vhf

vhf

Visit site
Could you and OH build a replacement? Funnily enough I was looking at this book in Waterstones recently and the steps are broken down so well that it looks easily doable, you'd just need a bigger doorway (and you could re-use the roof and any useable wood):

Or if that seems too much like hard work then just buy a fourth horse as others have suggested 🤣
Book.PNG
Bought, wrapped and ready to go!!!