Cheapest way to keep sheep out of fields

vanrim

Visit site
I had this problem last year. The farmer just wouldn’t come and get them in spite of repeated requests. Someone on this forum suggested I inform Defra that I was feeding my horses in the field and the said sheep were eating horse feed with medication in it : Prascend Bute , Gastric Ulcer Meds etc. She reckoned as soon as she threatened to tell Defra sheep had acces to horse drugs that the the farmer shifted the sheep like greased lightning 😂😂😂

gnubee

Visit site
They are getting in through the field next door, but straying into there from somewhere up the road so I can’t figure out where they are actually supposed to live. Been passed round in a quite concerning loop between council, trading standatds and DEFRA, and they definitely were on my fields straight after I sprayed them with pesticides last summer so actually probably aren’t fit for the food chain now. Might be worth one last try on that basis though - potentially the risk of food chain contamination is more interesting to Defra or the council or trading standards.

Unfortunately I don’t have any way to round them up - they aren’t always here so arranging someone with a dog wouldn’t work unless they conveniently turned up when he did. My youngster does sometimes chase them, but given the value of free grazing the owner has had this year one sheep would probably be a cheap price for it even if he caught one, and it’s not the sheeps fault their owner doesn’t care so it’s not my ideal approach.

If I could get owners contact details my initial plan was to ring constantly for them to be moved until dealing with me became more hassle than fencing their field, and I can show probably £100 of damages already to fencing and trees etc not including the loss of grazing and my consequent hay bill so I feel like I have a bit of leverage if only I knew where to use it!

Hallo2012

Visit site
I had this problem last year. The farmer just wouldn’t come and get them in spite of repeated requests. Someone on this forum suggested I inform Defra that I was feeding my horses in the field and the said sheep were eating horse feed with medication in it : Prascend Bute , Gastric Ulcer Meds etc. She reckoned as soon as she threatened to tell Defra sheep had acces to horse drugs that the the farmer shifted the sheep like greased lightning 😂😂😂

ive done this.

as soon as we told the farmer we were contacting DEFRA as sheep were eating bute and antibiotics......................sheep were GONE!