cheapest way to lay or have a concrete base laid?

Cheshire Chestnut

Visit site
For a stable? It has to be a special concrete that won't wear away with the acid from horse urine, otherwise you will end up with pot holes in it if you use normal concrete.

twiggy2

Visit site
sorry should have been more specific, mind is a jumble have a very nervous foster dog coming to stay for a while (not keeping) and she would benefit from having the security of a kennel and run to start with, so base will either be 8 x 9ft or preferably 9 x 17ft if finances allow, with a £1000+ gas bill for 4 summer months I need to keep costs at a minimum- am happy to do it myself if possible and I knew how although a bit of expert knowledge when it comes to getting proper drainage on the pad would be great

Dry Rot

Visit site
This ^^^^.

You won't need more than a couple of inches of concrete for the floor of a kennel as it doesn't have to bear much weight, just make sure it is laid on a layer of rammed hard core. That is of course unless your dog drives a 20 tonne lorry!

It will save you a lot of work if you lay it to a fall to one side so you can wash it down. Even better if you can power wash it.

My own kennels drained into the house septic tank (long experience!) but don't tell anyone.;)

twiggy2

Visit site
We laid flags over gravel with no cement in case we needed to move or lift the runs.

the kennel and run will possibly be moved next summer but the concrete area would stay if I took the larger option.

I have had a rough quote for small area £170 and about £320 for large area,

maybe I could get reclaimed slabs and reduce cost that way?

twiggy2

Visit site
there are 34 houses being built opposite me and I am thinking if I dig out and put gravel or similar in they may re-locate some spare pouring concrete in return for a drink, especially if they have seen the little dog ;-)

I have enough space for it straight away but it will get no sun on that spot at all and washing down will be tricky as it slopes the wrong way