Cheating at The Pet Plan Winter Championships!!!

Velcrobum

Visit site
Why on earth did this competitor do this???

Rider has points at Inter 1

Competed PP Elementary Bronze on 1 horse then competed PP Advanced Medium Silver on another horse the next day!!!

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I would like to think that they made a mistake. The rules are pretty complicated and seem to change every time the wind does. Maybe I am just naïve.

ETA I have no connection with any of the parties concerned, and it is very sad that the rightful winner didn't get their moment. :(

Seems like an outright fraud. I hope she is never allowed to compete BD again.

"However, in this instance a different surname, email, address, and mobile number were used on the new membership profile, so our system was unfortunately not able to detect this.”

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I think that mistakes can be made. I felt sore when I did my first elementary, and came second. I was sore because the winner was not eligible for the class so I should have won. I was proud of second but a first at first time at that level would have been fairy-tale for what had been a long road with a previously difficult and shut down horse.

That 1st placed competitor hadn't realised that her BE record counted, and it was a genuine mistake. The show centre told her not to do it again, but the result stood.

I can't imagine the disappointment for a big championship.

However, this case looks rather blatant. I could understand a duplicate record if it were an old BD membership, as in 25 years old, and a new membership were created more recently. However, the likelihood of the higher class being on the 'new' membership details, yet the lower class being on an old profile is so low to be beyond belief!

I too think they should be banned. Cheating is awful.

palo1

Visit site
I've been in a similar situation: in a team, one member who had previous BD points at elementary was asked to check their eligibility for the class the team had entered (Prelim!) For reasons best known to herself, she didn't bother. The team did really well and we were delighted, including the person with elementary points (different horse) and so ashamed and upset when the inevitable elimination was announced. I felt really, really cross: the rest of us had worked hard with very non-traditional types and invested in the team. The elem rider genuinely didn't believe that rather historic points with a different horse would count but she was asked to check before entry. She just didn't bother! Gah.

Velcrobum

Visit site
Seems like an outright fraud. I hope she is never allowed to compete BD again.

"However, in this instance a different surname, email, address, and mobile number were used on the new membership profile, so our system was unfortunately not able to detect this.”
I agree entirely.

Last edited:

SilverLinings

Visit site
The fact she used entirely different details on the membership profiles does make it look deliberate, but how can it not have occurred to her that competing under both profiles at the same show would likely be noticed by someone, particularly if she placed? Stupidity, arrogance or greed?

If it was a genuine mistake she is going to have a job explaining the conflicting membership details.

ETA I crossed posted with @Nicnac; that's a good point about marriage, I hadn't thought about that reason for a name/address/email address change.

little_critter

Visit site
The fact she used entirely different details on the membership profiles does make it look deliberate, but how can it not have occurred to her that competing under both profiles at the same show would likely be noticed by someone, particularly if she placed? Stupidity, arrogance or greed?

If it was a genuine mistake she is going to have a job explaining the conflicting membership details.

ETA I crossed posted with @Nicnac; that's a good point about marriage, I hadn't thought about that reason for a name/address/email address change.
Name and address I can understand. E mail address though? I still have the one I set up 20+ years ago. It’s such a faff to redirect everything (especially as other logon password recovery stuff is usually set up to go to your e mail) that I’d imagine email addresses are rarely changed.

khalswitz

Visit site
It’s the using both for one event that makes it look malicious.

Having two profiles could be an error - I know that if I were to rejoin BD now ten years since my last membership, I wouldn’t know my details, and my name, address and email have all changed since then. And if I was a bit dopey, I could imagine not realising that I’d need to notify BD of previous membership, or BE points. I’ve known a few people in the past who didn’t seem to grasp why they couldn’t enter bronze, so blaming stupidity isn’t out of the realm of likelihood.

But entering the lower class on one and higher on the other rules out those sorts of mistakes.

palo1

Visit site
The Competitor in question may have not entered her details for both classes herself and she certainly was married and is no longer. There is likely a series of careless mistakes that led to this but it is so frustrating and completely unfair on other competitors. People really do need to be more careful and take their competing records seriously.

mini-eventer

Visit site
I know of the lady who is tagged above, and I believe she rides her own, and for work. So could possibly be a genuine mistake...

I don't really know why she would do otherwise

mypegasus

www.themusingsofpegasus.wordpress.com
I know of the lady who is tagged above, and I believe she rides her own, and for work. So could possibly be a genuine mistake...

I don't really know why she would do otherwise
I'm not sure that they are the same person if the lady you know is a rider by profession, as if listen/watch the YouTube recording the rider refers to the fact they work full time and do their horse before and after work.

Very interestingly this rider and the second horse seem to have disappeared from the results of the PP Advanced Medium completely. I happened to make a note of the horses name at the time and looked up its BD record, I am fairly sure this was also ineligible for PP as it had previously competed at the same level at the Le Mieux Championships last year.

Having looked at the results for the event - Hollywood VI didn't compete in the PP Advanced Medium they competed in the Regional Advanced Medium Championship. Looking at the rider that you've linked - are you sure that they are the same person? Kate Jones is a common name, and could have been two Kate Jones' at the Championships.

Ossy2

Visit site
I feel for the genuine winner who didn’t get to enjoy that moment on the day.
Not just the winner but the person who didn’t even get to go to the finals in the first place as this person took a qualifying spot. I believe from what I have seen online is it was only picked up due to a whistleblower connected to the family somehow who saw posts from family members FB congratulating the person on their win. Fair play to that person for doing the right thing by the actual winner.

Orangehorse

Visit site
I used to be a membership secretary of a club and it was often impossible to match the name you knew someone under with their email address. Marriage, moving house, all sorts of different reasons.

And then there are different rules which update every year, and maybe you can forget records if it is a long time ago and the having to inform "authorities" of whatever sort.

So, giving the benefit of the doubt - but it still seems curious. And bad luck to the person missing out who was qualified to go and couldn't.

nikicb

www.facebook.com
I have been thinking about this and when I first heard about it, people were pointing out that she had competed 10 years ago at AM. Are we 100% sure that there weren't two people of the same name competing at the champs and that's just another layer of confusion? If she was competing under two memberships, then surely she would have been paying two membership fees? The whole thing seems rather strange whichever way you look at it. 🤷‍♀️

nikicb

www.facebook.com
I’d have thought the 2 people one name situ would have been eliminated before they made an announcement though 🤷‍♀️. That and I could tell anyone what BD level I competed at 14 years ago, it’s a weird thing to forget

There could still be two people competing with the one name, but only one eliminated due to historic results, rather than them competing under two current memberships. The results for the higher classes are still standing. I would expect that all results for a person would be removed if it was the same person.

Squeak

Visit site
There could still be two people competing with the one name, but only one eliminated due to historic results, rather than them competing under two current memberships. The results for the higher classes are still standing. I would expect that all results for a person would be removed if it was the same person.

Would you not need a membership per profile? If they had two memberships then it would have to be fairly deliberate as you'd naturally query why you were paying double membership fees.

If it was a genuine error then I do feel really sorry for the rider as imagine they could be being given a hard time on social media etc and we all make mistakes, albeit this was a fairly large one!