Cheating in the Gymnastics

pelly

Visit site
Im not a World Champion Gymnast BUT, Beth Tweedle is.. So, After doing a 100% perfect display on the un even bars, She came 2nd from last.

1st place was a Chinese girl. USA Girl had same points; but instead of a "play off" chinese got it. 3rd was a Chinese.
In mens Gymnastics, their man FELL and still won.
BOXING. The Irish commentator said "there not marking our man" He was fighting a Chinese. The UK Boxer was landing all the punches.

SOMEONE SHOULD HOLD A INQUIRY
smiley-channel.de_sport068.gif

kirstyhen

mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk
[ QUOTE ]
1st place was a Chinese girl. USA Girl had same points; but instead of a "play off" chinese got it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did the chinese girl get a higher difficultly rating? Thats what happened yesterday in the men's with the silver and bronze medals.

X

xspiralx

I have always had an interest in gymnastics, and I have to say that in all of the televised competitions, I have never seen Beth placing near the top of the field. The Americans, Roumanians etc have always outclassed us by quite a long way.

Is it not true that there are judges from other nationalities also?

abb123

Visit site
The harder rated routine will be placed higher. It is a bit like dressage collective scores. You can have two equal percentages but the higher collective will be placed higher. I didn't see Beth's routine but it could have been perfect and still scored lower as it was an easier routine to perform.

lizzie_liz

Visit site
I did actually watch this and the american and the chinese girl had the same difficulty and the commentaters werent sure how it was decided who got 1st or 2nd.
Beths bars was they said, the highest difficulty in the world so I am not sure how she finised out of the medals, it looked to be a good routine that was difficult!!

Santa_Claus

www.katiemortimore.com
Beth's was more difficult but she faultered in one of the pirouettes and she didn't nail her landing and so ended up 4th. The chinese girl had a lower rating than the american and therefore won because she was deemed to have produced a better routine (ie more points for how she performed not what she performed!)

LauraBR

Visit site
I think she picked up faults for stepping on landing and for losing some straightness/direction on one of her flippy things... all looked fair to me!

Hollycat

Visit site
I thought Beth should have been in the medals too. Her routiene was far and away the most difficult (and exciting to watch). Yes she made mistakes - but so did the others. They ignored the mistakes some of the other gymnasts made - commentator was talking about how the US gymnasts legs were bent and it could be penalised hashly - but wasn't - but Beth was penalised harshlly! I love watching the gymnastcs but it is like dressage - so subjective and potentialy unfair

Santa_Claus

www.katiemortimore.com
considernig how many judges there are in the gymnastics (each normally from a different country) the chance of bias is near nigh impossible.

Yes to the untrained eye Beth's looked far better as well it was the most difficult routine and the flaws in the routine were barely noticeable, but thats the points the judges do notice them and are trained to notice them and they look for the most minimal of faults, and unfortunatley the two main faults in Beth's routine were significant, in her interview afterwards she actually said she thought her landing was going to be even worse as she was at the wrong height at release and she did well to recover as she thought she was going to land on her face.

As for the straightness of the other girl's legs dependant on where it was a factor the angle between her and the judges may have meant it wasn't as noticeable as it was to the angle at which the camera was filming.

At the end of the day there were several judges from several countries so I really really don't see how you can claim 'cheating' or 'bias' by the judges!!!

Lobelia_Overhill

www.mymiscellanyhome.net
At every Olympics the home country seem to get a better score from the judges, I remember the LA Olympics, where the American's only had to stand up and salute to the judges to get a 10, at one point some official stepped in and stopped one of the girls getting a 10 and there was uproar (this was in the days of Mary Lou Retton)

In the A bars final in Beijing Beth scored 16.625 and the girl in 3rd got 16.650, so she was very close to a medal. Beth was marked down for not "holding" a handstand and for taking a step on landing.
The Chinese girl won over the American (and I can remember her dad competing at Seoul!) because they get two marks, one for technical content and the other for execution, and the Chinese girl got higher execution marks

kerilli

Visit site
spiral, he only scored one or two others higher than the other judges did, and then not by much. he was mostly in line with them, and scored some lower than they did. Brentina's mark from him stands out a little imho.