Check Ligament Injuries - Experiences?

mad horse 3010

Visit site
Hello,

Has anyone got any experiences with check ligament injuries?

How long was your horse on box/field rest and were they able to come back to full fitness and full work? If not, what work level were they able to come back to?

I *think* my horse has done hers :( vet is out on Friday morning to scan it.

Nightmare before Christmas

Visit site
My pony did years ago! Ended up almost a year box rest! He wasnt overly lame but had alot of rest and cold hosing. Then walking and building up over a long period of time. I dont own him anymore my friend does and he carried on a normal life doing jumping and XC ect. Hes in his late 20s and its gone again. He was about 13 the first time he injured it :)

EquiGirl1

Visit site
A horse at my yard recently had a minor check ligament injury. Vet said to do light riding for 6 weeks (no jumping, gallops, schooling) and then build back up to normal. No box rest was needed, but it was only minor.

Emilieu

Visit site
My friend's horse did this. I think it was six months box rest in total but with walking out after a while and restricted turn out towards the end. He healed really well and no restrictions on work - although he has never actually been brought back into full work (for other reasons) so not sure how it would stand up to it.

Last edited:

ossy

Visit site
My old boy did his when he was at his hacking loan home. He had 6 months of box rest and then restricted grazing for 6 months never did come back 100% right but he was 15 when he did his, he was retired from hacking duties.

Lotty

Visit site
My mare did hers about 7 years ago, she was on 4 month box rest then gentle walking out in hand every night. After slowly getting back to full fitness she was fine, we compete in dressage and my daughter takes her jumping.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Hello,

Has anyone got any experiences with check ligament injuries?

How long was your horse on box/field rest and were they able to come back to full fitness and full work? If not, what work level were they able to come back to?

I *think* my horse has done hers :( vet is out on Friday morning to scan it.

Fore or hind ?

4faults

Visit site
A horse I had in 2002 did hers. 11 months total box rest then progressed to walking in hand starting at 5 mins and building up etc. Rehab took a further 6 months.
Never went back to jumping 1m20s although happily jumped 1m classes, did low level dressage, hacked and did some small x country schooling although I was always aware I would have to keep an eye on the condition of the ground she worked on etc. Fingers crossed for your horse

AJ & Kiz

Visit site
I am so glad you have asked this! my lovely friends mare has done both her fores!! hole in one and light damage to the other! she has been on complete box rest for what seems like ages....shes started turning her out very restricted for 30 mins but her legs swell as soon as she taken bandages off. Vet has been out to xray and shes back on full box rest and bute :( x

jenni999

Visit site
A friend of mine had a horse that the vet persuaded her to have surgery performed on. His leg looked like he has been bitten or stung, just a smallish swelling behind and below the knee. Didn't turn out well for her and after 2 operations (infection set in after the first) he developed stress lami in his other foreleg from being on box rest for so long. I would be cautious if surgery is suggested, sounds like the majority of them recover just with rest.

Christmas Crumpet

Visit site
Mine did hers at beginning of April this year - near fore.

She had a week's box rest, 2.5 months in the field and then we did 16 weeks or so walking on roads then building up slowly every day. Its been fine ever since (crossed fingers and toes!!).

Her's was pretty bad according to vet but you can't even tell she's done it now. She's 16.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
More chance of a come back with a forelimb I think.

Mine has done a hind, which is rare according to the vets. Massive hole.

Barn rested August 10 to May 11, started walking, lame in June, rescanned to find the ligament was good but the scar tissue in hole had split. Horse put into a tiny paddock with a shelter. Then had a month of septic feet and a cold caused by the change of environment. He picked up in August and has remained in the paddock/shelter ever since.

Difficult to say if he is sound, certainly looks it at the moment but he has not been trotted up. Probably scan again in the spring with the hope he can retire to the bigger fields and enjoy what is left of his life. He owes me nothing and has been a horse of a lifetime but the whole experience has been awful for him and me.