Check Ligament

Flicker

Visit site
It looks like my mare may have pulled her check ligament in her near fore - most likely by charging round her field in muddy weather, the dope! I'm box resting her, walking her out gently twice a day. I've heard differing reports as to how long this usually takes to heal and recovery prognoses. My instructor has had a look and thinks that it is not too badly done (no heat, just a bit of swelling - I missed it completely!).
Has anyone else had experience of this, and could you give me an idea of how long they usually take to heal up? I'm hoping to get her out in the field at some point, but don't want her to just go and do it again, if there is weakness there.
She's nodding lame, not hopping, and it seems to be SLOWLY recovering - it has been 2 weeks today.

henryhorn

www.narramorehorses.blogspot.com
We were in the same sort of position as you, hardly any swelling, and hosed, rested etc before taking our mare to an equine spa to speed up the recovery rate.
When after a few spa sessions they suggested scanning her by the vets on site, I was shocked to find a 6% tear that meant the horse was off for almost a year.
If there is one thing I learned about tendons, guess their damage at your peril.
Get the leg scanned before you do anything else, and do not walk the horse out, leave it on box rest.
If you find damage the latest reports suggest laser is the most beneficial treatment.
Our mare was sound at walk and barely lame at tot, yet it was a serious injury.
I would do nothing untl the leg has been scanned, if you turn the horse out an it runs about, you risk a much worse injury occurring.

icemaiden113

Visit site
Not sure about the speed of recovery, but a horse i have Grade A did a check ligament a few years ago. Not sure how long he was off etc but after his time out was back jumping and now hunting hounds with no probs at all. So the good news is look after it well and you will carry on as normal!

measles

Visit site
Agree with henryhorn - you must get the injured leg scanned to know how much damage is there. Our jumping pony damaged one check ligament in front back in May 06 and we were told 2 months box rest, then walk in hand increasing by 5 mins each week with very slow ridden fitness work starting after 6 months. If all OK when scanned at that point could start jumping 9 months after injury.

Sorry if this is bad news, but we were told by the first vet that came out that with a check ligament injury she'd only be off for 3 weeks - clearly nonsense - and were devastated to find out the true prognosis. We put her in foal to try and turn a disaster into something positive and the vets said a year and a half off would do the leg wonders, if being a bit of an excessive rest!

Likely you'll need anti-inflamatories and Tensolvet is great stuff too. We introduced turnout after about 6 months but we're lucky as she's so good in the field and never high tails it about. Much better to know what you're deadling with and help the healing process the right way so that, as someone else said, the prognosis is good.

Best of luck

jomiln

www.westendfarmstud.co.uk
We have dealt with several horses with check ligament injuries - all have had scans so that we and the owners knew what damage we were dealing with.
All have had box rest, hydrotherapy, and then introduced controlled walking - all to a different time scale as the damage was different in each.
All have returned to work at the same level that the injury occured

One continued show jumping and was placed in the Newcomers Finals at HOYS last year.

Time is key in these injuries.

annie02

Visit site
Yup, as everyone else has said you really need to have the vet look at it. Have a scan done to see what the extent of the damage is. You could risk the horses soundness if you try to bring it back to soon. The only way to know is the vet. Normally it is a long time off but if you dont rush the recovery you have a good chance of being able to ride again. However it does depend on what the vet shows you.

Good luck

calon

Visit site
our mare did same slight swelling sound at walk slightley lame at trot scan showed she had pulled it .she was on 6 weeks box res and then six weeks walking out in hand very gentley and building up ,then i spent 4 weeks gentle lungeing then rode her quietley for 4 weeks she was then out at a show 3 weeks later she has stayed sound for 12months now and i am considering maybe trying some jumping soon hope that helps