check ligaments advice needed

Welly

Visit site
Hi would like some opinion on treatment please. 18 months ago my horse pulled his check ligament I was told by my vet 4 weeks box rest scan then back into work very slowly at first then build up work when he was back in work then to turn out in field. My boy has just pulled his check ligament on the other leg, my new vet - we have moved area- has told me to do 2 weeks box rest then turn out in field for 6 months. As he did the injury out in the field I am not sure what to do any advice please.

rachelandholly

Visit site
It probably depends on how bad it is... one on our yard did hers really badly, and wasn't even out of the stable for about 4 months. But another one did a suspensory and he was retired because we never thought he'd come sound again with his age. He was turned away completely because we knew he wouldn't do box rest. 12 months on, we brought him back to work and haven't looked back since!!

If you're concerned about it, talk to the vet, tell them you're worried about turning out. See if they think there's another way to do it xx

stacie21

Visit site
my boy done his really bad he done 3 weeks boxrest cold hosing x2 daily 2 weeks box rest with hand walking then 2 weeks turn out small field size of stable then re scan and was happy how was healing so start ridden walking start at 20 mins then increase to 45 mins over 3 weeks then start trotting start 5 mins build gradually over 3 weeks then re scan should be back to normal hopefully he doing really well sound on level still feels it a bit if we hit a rough patch but on the mend just slow and steady no rush

floella82

Visit site
Hi

My show cob has just been brought back into work after a 2mm tear to hs check ligament.

He was scanned then had 6 weeks box rest then re scanned. The second scan showed that it was healing so started walking out in hand (was an absolute nightmare!!!) for a further 5 weeks then rescanned and showed that tear had fully healed so we have just started ridden work in walk and he is turned out. My vet has advised me that should be back in full work in 8 weeks just need to careful with schooling no tight turns etc.

My vet would not allow him to be turned out at all until clear scan but guess they all have their own opinions would have made my life easier if he could have gone out earlier but it takes longer to heal if they are turned out.

Hope this helps!!! :):):)

romanticballet

New User
Visit site
my 18 yo mare completely ruptured her check ligament on her right fore at beginning of march and the ultrasound showed the ligament was missing as the tear was so bad. i was told 6 months box rest and then only ever turn out never to be ridden again.
after 9 weeks the swelling had gone down completely and she was no longer lame so we began walking her around for 5 minutes each evening in hand.
3 weeks ago when putting her back in her box after mucking out she reared up and bolted to the field (galloping all the way along a concrete yard) we were struggling to catch her and decided the safest thing to do on all accounts was to open the gate and let her into her field. she was out for a few hours and came back in fine and has been turned out every day since and has never come back in lame or had any swelling.