Checking my feed - opinions please, for 2 ponies

Misshobo

New User
Visit site
I have a cob that is a pretty good doer. She is on fairly rubbish grass because our field isn't great, but I don't mind that. I feed a decent quality hay ad lib and she has a small feed of fast fibre, micronized linseed, a handful of chaff and I add lime flour, biotin and salt - she won't touch a lick of any kind. I do add electrolytes if she has worked really hard. In moderate work and in good body condition. She is barefoot and her feet are good.
Should I add anything? Vits and minerals? Balancer; although I haven't had my forage tested so don't know what I'd be balancing.. If anything we could do with a touch more energy maybe, I don't mind a bit of fizz. She is 13 years old

And, this is the tricky one, a pony that has cushings and is lami prone. Currently shod but we will transition to booted barefoot so he can have very regular trims. Doesn't hold condition well, but can't graze all day. He will have the same hay, soaked in needed, but what to feed him??? I have been recommended Cushins Crumble. Should he have biotin as well? This pony is not with me yet, he is coming in about a month. This guy is 15.

Thank you

Misshobo

New User
Visit site
I have a cob that is a pretty good doer. She is on fairly rubbish grass because our field isn't great, but I don't mind that. I feed a decent quality hay ad lib and she has a small feed of fast fibre, micronized linseed, a handful of chaff and I add lime flour, biotin and salt - she won't touch a lick of any kind. I do add electrolytes if she has worked really hard. In moderate work and in good body condition. She is barefoot and her feet are good.
Should I add anything? Vits and minerals? Balancer; although I haven't had my forage tested so don't know what I'd be balancing.. If anything we could do with a touch more energy maybe, I don't mind a bit of fizz. She is 13 years old

And, this is the tricky one, a pony that has cushings and is lami prone. Currently shod but we will transition to booted barefoot so he can have very regular trims. Doesn't hold condition well, but can't graze all day. He will have the same hay, soaked in needed, but what to feed him??? I have been recommended Cushins Crumble. Should he have biotin as well? This pony is not with me yet, he is coming in about a month. This guy is 15.

Thank you
* soaked IF needed, not in....

Sossigpoker

Visit site
If he's a good doer I'd just feed the hay and a bit of Fast Fibre if you need to give supplements. You could ads a balancer to that too.
Horses should have salt added to their feeds every day, not just if they're sweating.
1-2 table spoons of ordinary table salt is needed for am average size horse

Ashleigh02

Visit site
I would say the first horse could stay just on the fast fibre and chaff or swap the fast fibre to dodson and horrells build up conditioning mix as that gave my boy a bit more fizz when i wanted it but for the second horse i would feed sugar beet, the lite stuff that soaks in 10 minutes so not too much sugars but still get the goodness mixed with topspec top chop grass and a balancer. My go to is topspec cool balancer :)