Cheeky/ridiculous posts you see on Facebook.

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
ideal opportunity for someone who is competent, experienced and mature to school on our young horses and ponies-we're not going to pay you, we want you to do it for free (and this is a business asking for this-see the equestrian industry hasn't changed.)

Visit site
ideal opportunity for someone who is competent, experienced and mature to school on our young horses and ponies-we're not going to pay you, we want you to do it for free (and this is a business asking for this-see the equestrian industry hasn't changed.)

I saw that and laughed! But it would look great on your cv if you want a career in the equine world - yes - everyone prospective employer can see MUG splattered across your forehead and pay you a even less than they originally planned on!

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
I saw that and laughed! But it would look great on your cv if you want a career in the equine world - yes - everyone prospective employer can see MUG splattered across your forehead and pay you a even less than they originally planned on!

glad it wasn't just me who thought it was a bloody cheek. apparently their are those wanting to do it for their passion rofl. aye, 16yo who have yet learned their lesson.

Frumpoon

Visit site
In a similar vein someone on one of the midlands pages had a nice looking young jumping horse...for loan....for someone to bring on....just broken...I demurred to point out that they might have been looking for schooling Livery

Also more of the same unridden companions for free or long term loan...all worded as if it's a once in a lifetime opportunity to look after somebody else's poor broken down old thing

Dave's Mam

Visit site
In a similar vein someone on one of the midlands pages had a nice looking young jumping horse...for loan....for someone to bring on....just broken...I demurred to point out that they might have been looking for schooling Livery

Also more of the same unridden companions for free or long term loan...all worded as if it's a once in a lifetime opportunity to look after somebody else's poor broken down old thing

That may have been the same one I commented on.

Visit site
glad it wasn't just me who thought it was a bloody cheek. apparently their are those wanting to do it for their passion rofl. aye, 16yo who have yet learned their lesson.

I'm 16 and wouldn't do that, thank you very much(!)...think it's more than a bit unreasonable, actually, that people sort of expect people my age to be naive enough to be ripped off like that but maybe that's just me. Cynic before my time. Guess that's what horses do to ya :D

Last edited:

FrecklesTheCat

Visit site
"is there any horses for loan on fri to sun around 15hh somethng that is good to ride good nature xx"

I guess you do get some people that just work weekends. . .

Annagain

Visit site
My favourite one recently.

2pm - "Has anyone got a horse for loan?"
A few responses - some asking questions on the sort of horse she was after, what her riding ability was etc, some giving info on the horses they have for loan.
4pm - Thanks all I've found one, I'm having (name of one of the people offering a horse above) 's horse.

In the space of two hours? It takes me that long to decide what to have for tea, let alone make arrangements to see a horse, get there, ride it, find out as much as possible about it, decide I want it, discuss with owner, make all necessary arrangements and announce it to the world!

honetpot

Visit site
This would have been the ad on FB, if FB had existed when I was a teenager, and how I got started riding.

Young riders wanted buy small dealer, no knowledge needed, to muck out six horses 3 times in the week and 3 Sat and Sun.
To ride badly broken or naughty ponies.
In return you get as much riding as you like, your own pony until its sold and the opportunity to roam the countryside unsupervised for hours. Also included are as much tea, white bread and indeterminate fruit jam sandwiches, and homemade oven cooked chips as you can eat.

There were about six of us, and we had our shifts. We had up to three of our 'own' ponies, which we decided what to do with no adult input, until they were sold. I started when I was 12/13 when my parents could not afford riding lessons. Loved every minute.

Cowpony

Visit site
This would have been the ad on FB, if FB had existed when I was a teenager, and how I got started riding.

Young riders wanted buy small dealer, no knowledge needed, to muck out six horses 3 times in the week and 3 Sat and Sun.
To ride badly broken or naughty ponies.
In return you get as much riding as you like, your own pony until its sold and the opportunity to roam the countryside unsupervised for hours. Also included are as much tea, white bread and indeterminate fruit jam sandwiches, and homemade oven cooked chips as you can eat.

There were about six of us, and we had our shifts. We had up to three of our 'own' ponies, which we decided what to do with no adult input, until they were sold. I started when I was 12/13 when my parents could not afford riding lessons. Loved every minute.

Ha ha! Yes I think mine would have been "Calling parents of horse-mad girls aged 10 - 15. Opportunity for your children to work largely unsupervised all weekend at riding school for free lessons. Free lessons determined by (very careful with money) YO, no records kept so no idea how many hours equals one free lesson. No toilets on yard, expected to use a stable and hope nobody walks past. No police checks on staff, farrier, vet etc as checks don't currently exist, but vet rarely called in any case. Regular riding bareback on roads, leading up to two other ponies, wearing riding hats no better than cardboard. Children transported to fields in back of van with dodgy handle. Lunches to be eaten in hay barn with 15-year olds standing in doorway smoking. Opportunity to spend whole day out hacking to PC rally and back again through woods with no vehicle access, accompanied by 15 year-olds." But boy did we learn a lot! And enjoyed it no end.

*Sahara

Visit site
Ha ha! Yes I think mine would have been "Calling parents of horse-mad girls aged 10 - 15. Opportunity for your children to work largely unsupervised all weekend at riding school for free lessons. Free lessons determined by (very careful with money) YO, no records kept so no idea how many hours equals one free lesson. No toilets on yard, expected to use a stable and hope nobody walks past. No police checks on staff, farrier, vet etc as checks don't currently exist, but vet rarely called in any case. Regular riding bareback on roads, leading up to two other ponies, wearing riding hats no better than cardboard. Children transported to fields in back of van with dodgy handle. Lunches to be eaten in hay barn with 15-year olds standing in doorway smoking. Opportunity to spend whole day out hacking to PC rally and back again through woods with no vehicle access, accompanied by 15 year-olds." But boy did we learn a lot! And enjoyed it no end.

Brilliant :D

Sallyfinn

Visit site
Perhaps it's just me..... maybe it's reasonable......
Just seen ad on FB this morning.
Horse offered for loan/share. Looks a nice type. But.... loaner to pay all costs and do all jobs. Must stay on current yard. Can't do dressage, sharp and strong to hack out, very tricky to jump.
Oh and the daughter wants to be able to ride it during school holidays!

abbijay

Visit site
I've just seen a lovely, sensible ad asking for a 14.3-15.3 7-14 yo horse for a para rider. Mustn't be too green and doing dressage and fun rides already. Must be impeccable on the ground and neither "ploddy but not too sharp" and easy to pull up in canter. No cobs or chunky types.
All sounds pretty sensible and not unachievable until you see the budget is only £2k! If I had that horse I'd want probably 3 or 4 times that much for it!

9tails

Visit site
Horse offered for loan/share. Looks a nice type. But.... loaner to pay all costs and do all jobs. Must stay on current yard. Can't do dressage, sharp and strong to hack out, very tricky to jump.

So what can the horse do? That's an ideal candidate for reschooling.

conniegirl

Visit site
I've just seen a lovely, sensible ad asking for a 14.3-15.3 7-14 yo horse for a para rider. Mustn't be too green and doing dressage and fun rides already. Must be impeccable on the ground and neither "ploddy but not too sharp" and easy to pull up in canter. No cobs or chunky types.
All sounds pretty sensible and not unachievable until you see the budget is only £2k! If I had that horse I'd want probably 3 or 4 times that much for it!

when I went shopping for exactly that (for a friend) I didnt get much change out of £10k

TreeDog

Visit site
I saw one that made me laugh this morning, someone selling an unhandled "welsh a/b type filly". But the first comment asks "how many hands is he please need 14 hands up to 17"

Surely it's not unreasonable to expect someone who's looking at buying an unhandled filly to know that welsh a/b means small! (and that a filly is a girl for that matter)

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
I'm looking for a quiet, confident jockey to help with my 4 year old. XXX is a good lad, doesn't have any vices but needs bringing on. I'm happy to ride at home but feel I would look out of place on him in a show ring and at dressage and this is what I want him to be out doing this summer. I'd be looking for someone to come a few times a week. Riding would be in exchange for a few stable chores and a contribution towards the cost of showing.

Good luck with that. :)

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
Well you see I think someone might jump at the chance to ride/show/compete in return for a few chores and a small financial contribution! I certainly would if I ever decide the cost and time of my own herd is no longer viable.

I saw an ad that made me think huh? Basically a native pony cob for sale - quiet and calm, easy to do. For sale as 'too good for what we want'. What - you want an ill mannered, difficult pony?

LaurenBay

Visit site

I saw that one too!

Snowfilly

Visit site
I'm looking for a quiet, confident jockey to help with my 4 year old. XXX is a good lad, doesn't have any vices but needs bringing on. I'm happy to ride at home but feel I would look out of place on him in a show ring and at dressage and this is what I want him to be out doing this summer. I'd be looking for someone to come a few times a week. Riding would be in exchange for a few stable chores and a contribution towards the cost of showing.

See, I'd be up for this. My two are respectively too old and too young for regular riding, and I'm having weekly lessons and hiring a horse for competing at the local school to make sure I'm in shape for backing the youngster in 2019. I haven't got room or time for a loan but the opportunity to compete and bring on a nice young horse would be lovely. The stable chores aren't much hassle and paying the entry fee is basically me paying to have fun on the day, so I can't see what the problem is with asking?

PaddyMonty

Visit site

If said horse was 16hh or more I would be quite happy to do that although would be interested in the dressage rather than showing.
Can't see where the problem is if someone enjoys schooling horses but doesn't have their own.

dominobrown

Visit site
I have seen 2 recently that have taken the biscuit a bit.
One for a 20+ year old horse, had a good competivie life, been a godd schoolmaster. For sale... for £700 but to be retried and not ridden anymore... good luck with that poor thing.

Another just backed and turned away 4 uear old, badd manners (essentially) on ground, advert goes on and on about quirks but how good a project it will be... few people enquiring to find its Loan only and return a uear or two later.

Honestly people... please be even a tiny bit realistic! Plonkers...

Peter7917

Visit site
Just seen one on Facebook. Woman saying her foal gets too hot and can she clip him in summer and another woman tells her not to clip but just to trim him down with scizzors.

Antw23uk

Visit site
My horse is currently broken so looking for anything that's over 16h that will event for the summer...... Now I might be wrong but to me this reads ... I've broken my horse ragging it round the XC course so whilst it mends I want anything big enough that belongs to you that I can break over the summer and then give back to you once im done!

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
My horse is currently broken so looking for anything that's over 16h that will event for the summer...... Now I might be wrong but to me this reads ... I've broken my horse ragging it round the XC course so whilst it mends I want anything big enough that belongs to you that I can break over the summer and then give back to you once im done!

I've seen 2 like that recently - wanting horses on loan to event up to BE100 or more - but also sane, safe, easy to do and steady, suitable for teenagers! Lovely experienced schoolmaster types. So pay £15-20K for a horse or just borrow one as we all have 15-20K horses sat around looking for a job?!

But then maybe people do.... I do know a few fabulous outgrown competition ponies who owners won't sell on but don't have a jockey for. But they are absolute gold dust and are generally snapped up by word of mouth not found on FB.