cheeky youngster

mariebx19

Visit site
This is my youngster,just over 3 years old.Usually so laid back but has been like this to lead twice.It is my sister in the video,usually if the horses act up i would take them and i would make him circle,then stand for a few seconds then ask to walk again.Just looking for advice on what other people would do and how to stop him from trying to bite when leading.On this video,it was his first time being led in from the field for about a month.He was spooking at his own shadow,baby crying,haynets but will be in regular work soon.He is great with pressure work when i do work with him,do loads of de-spooking as well.

https://youtu.be/AOZc08vocpQ

Barnacle

Visit site
That shoulder-barging thing he is doing is pretty typical of youngsters that lack respect. I'd make sure to carry a schooling whip and give him a sharp little flick if he tries to run you over. I don't advocate hitting horses for anything except dangerous behaviour - but that's just what this is. When you watch horses out together, this sort of behaviour would elicit a good hard kick in the chest from the other horse. And after that the offender learns to give some space and be respectful. I don't think it's necessary to whip hard - and don't get angry - but a purposeful controlled flick to the chest should be enough to surprise him (make sure the rope is slack so he is free to move away or you will punish him for doing the right thing). If he doesn't seem to notice, try smacking the ground in front of him instead and doing so quite noisily. This usually gets their attention. I would couple that with turning him in circles as soon as he attempts to pull away and eat grass in the way he is here.

But you first of all need to back this up by doing groundwork in a controlled environment. Teach him to free lunge so he gives you space and focuses on you and teach him to lead properly (i.e. not run ahead as he is tending to do here - he should be following or by your side). I would also get into the habit of leading with a slack rope... When you have it tight like in this clip, you end up accidentally "punishing" the horse for every little movement even when they are doing nothing wrong. So try not to anticipate things going bad and only react when they do.

Here are some tips for leading bolshy horses (though leave out the food rewards in this instance - particularly as he is young and nippy): http://intheequinemind.blogspot.co.uk/2015/04/the-fearful-stallion-and-how-to-deal.html

For dealing with the biting, try to teach him to back up first. Then whenever he nips, back him up. This will require some patience to begin with on your part but he'll get the idea.

SpringArising

Visit site
Your sister's faffing around too much.

Carry a short crop and use it when necessary to get him to move backwards if he has ignored the first command. A quick flick on the chest works well along with the word "Back". The most obvious thing is to work first on the ground when he's not trying to get somewhere.

He's too big to get away with being bolshy for much longer. My youngster used to do the exact same shoulder-barge thing, and so I'd bop him on the side of the nose with the stick as soon as he started to do it. If he didn't move I'd continue to tap harder and harder until he did. He soon learnt that he needs to be respecting my personal space. It's not about going to them with the crop and chasing them with it, it's about making it uncomfortable for them when they barge into you.

Work on walking at a snail's pace and getting him to move away from you every few steps.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Dually head collar and teach him pressure and release. Carry a blue pipe not a whip. If he barges use the pipe.

Looking at the clip he wants sorting quickly.

mariebx19

Visit site
Thanks,will try all that.My sister normally leaves the leadrope slack and is just trying to make sure she doesnt get bit.When he is worked with and since i got him he has been so laid back,does everything you ask of him.Just twice he has been like this.He is getting so big so definately need to get him worked on and it sorted soon.Have free lunged him twice and listens and respects my space nicely.Also lunges perfectly,although i have only lunged him about 5 times and for seconds on each rein so cause his age.The biting he does quite a bit but the leading has only been a problem twice.

AengusOg

Visit site
Your sister looks like a strong girl, but she will get hurt if she continues to try her strength against the horse. She is wrestling him and he is just leaning all over her. See the way he plays with his field mate...he is doing exactly the same with your sister.

Your horse is doing everything on his terms, If it suits him to do something, he will seem to be easily handled, but when he decides he's had enough, he uses his strength and if that doesn't work he tries biting. He needs to be given a short sharp lesson in how dangerous humans can appear to be if horses try to bully them.

Instead of trying to push him about, your sister needs to throw her hands up and bump him hard on the side of his face with the heel of her hand. He will, if she does it hard enough, shy away and your sister, at that point needs to step toward him and use her raised arms to send him away out of her space. As he continues to move away, she needs to advance into the space vacated by him. He will change his attitude and demeanour pretty sharpish with that treatment, and you sister can then begin to allow him to approach her as long as he is respectful. Any further attempt at bullying should be met with similar response and the horse will quickly realise that humans can become predatory and dangerous very quickly.

If she continues with the wrestling of him, the horse will just get heavier to handle and will hurt your sister. Shoving him around gives him something to shove back against. A short sharp shock causes him to instinctively back off, and gives your sister the advantage and allows her to dictate when the horse can approach. She should only have to do this once or twice and he will get the message.

TPO

Visit site
Get professional help.

It's fine people suggesting pressure halters, crops/pipe and things of that ilk but the experience and competence of the owner/handler should be taken into consideration.

Seek professional help, read books, watch videos and people who own/handle/ride well mannered, fit and healthy horses.

mariebx19

Visit site
Thanks for the advice,will try that with him.I will be doing it by myself.I know,she is just trying to try not get bit,usually if he does start to act up,i will take him.When he has tried to bite me,i do put my hand on his face and push his head away or give him a flick back.He has barely been out of the field but is starting to be worked regularly in a couple of weeks.

stilltrying

Visit site
Wow that is a lot of horse to be walking all over you! Some sound advice already but would second a fine rope pressure halter. I've got one for my youngster as a matter of course, i think they are fab, particularly with young horses as they are too uncomfortable for the horse to put any real weight behind. So that coupled with some respect for your space as explained by AengusOg should do the trick.

Most young horses will push the boundaries, my 4yo is generally very well mannered but I can see her thinking about testing the water. A couple of times as i've lead her back down to her field I can see her eyeing up my forearm, she might do a little shake of the head then dip her head towards me. It might seem nothing, or just playful, but she gets a sharp tug on the rope and a step back as i know exactly where that is heading!

Barnacle

Visit site
Be very careful using a harsh halter... If your horse's habit is to pull away, that's all well and good. But I've seen plenty of cases where the horse barges like this and well-meaning owners and what typically happens is that the horse starts to fall into them, so they use one arm to yank back and the horse barges them with the near shoulder regardless - at which point the owner releases pressure on the halter to stay upright/out of the way/push the horse with their hands. They teach the horse the precise opposite of what they want.

Also just watched your second video. Looks like a lovely horse and lovely people :) You have obviously spent a lot of time with him. Instead of desensitizing him though, you need to be teaching him manners and respect (so good you've got him lunging etc). It's best to leave the desensitizing for last as a general rule.

Last edited:

mariebx19

Visit site
I know think im going to try without to begin with.My older one had a problem with just bolting away when being led (was like it from the day i got him but used to circle me and try and kick at the same time) is so much better now.He really is :) Usually take him into the school and just teach him to walk and stand when asked.Moving him away from pressure (you just have to click at his hips and he will move away) Used to escape from his field nearly everynight and would have to walk 20 minutes on a busy country road and he was perfect everytime.So dont know why he is started this,possibly just testing me or because i havent spent much time working with him lately.He actually lunged first time,is good to send away and keep out of your space when lunging.