CHELTENHAM CANCELLED!!!! 13/03/08

Hedgewitch13

Visit site
shocked.gif
Just heard this on Radio One - wasn't expecting that!

MizElz

Visit site
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif

Bloody weather! I'v skived off uni just to watch the racing, and they have to cancel. Nasty!
mad.gif
What am I going to do with my day now!?
confused.gif

Lobelia_Overhill

www.mymiscellanyhome.net
[ QUOTE ]
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif

Bloody weather! I'v skived off uni just to watch the racing, and they have to cancel. Nasty!
mad.gif
What am I going to do with my day now!?
confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

and what excuse will you use for skivving off tomorrow?!?

Fantasy_World

Visit site
While it is very sad news today is off and I feel terribly for those that were going today who will now get a refund and can't use their tickets which were bought for today for tomorrow or Friday I think it is the best decision all round.
4 years ago while I working at Uttoxeter as a journalist on Midlands National day the meeting eventually got abandoned due to high winds.
The runners for the first race ( which was the Ire Tatts Mares final if I remember correctly) were parading in the enclosure and some horses were getting upset by the winds too.
The winds just kept increasing in their ferocity and there was debris being blown everywhere. I had trouble even being able to see as dirt and debris were blown into my eyes. I can remember speaking to Raj from the BBC and telling him that too.
A temporary marquis in the centre course enclosure was pretty much wrecked and because of the debris it was considered too unsafe for racing to go ahead.
Whilst I was interviewing trainers, officials and jockeys alike their views were pretty much mixed and some jockeys were pretty angry that it was called off. Most sped off as soon as they knew the news to go and replace jockeys at other meetings instead.
Those jockeys that were angry were not looking at the bigger picture. It was the same this morning on the morning line in which a few were saying it was not too bad etc.
While that may have been true during a race course gallop that were obviously still taking place this morning the same could not be said once racing was well and truly under way.
There would be thousands of people ( the same happened at Uttoxeter). People = debris ie newspapers, racecards, food wrappings, plastic cups etc all this would be hazards not only to other racegoers but to the horses, jockeys and connections of the horses as well.
Not to mention temporary constructions that are made available in order to extend hospitality to guests of the racecourse.
All this is an accident waiting to happen.
If any of this debris ( like it did at Uttoxeter) blew onto the racecourse during a race then the effects could be fatal. Horses panicking, becoming unsighted over the obstacles or simply trying to avoid the debris whilst racing flat out could in effect endanger horse and pilot equally.
At Uttoxeter some connections could understand the reasons behind the abandonment and whilst not happy about it ( I don't blame them) took it on the chin and accepted matters.
If my memory serves me correctly a few of the races ( Mares race included) were saved and re run at the next meeting at Uttoxeter whilst the Midlands National was re-routed to another venue and although not run under entirely the same conditions and trip etc it was a compromise under the circumstances. I think it was held at Market Rasen from memory? though I could be wrong on that one?
Anyway the point I am trying to make is that I have posted this not in any way to be condescending to any individuals or to patronise in any form but as a post from a perspective from someone who was in effect in the firing line on a day which was abandoned under the same conditions in which you had to face and interview individuals who were not very happy about it all whilst at the same time being harassed by the newspaper.
I like everyone else am glad that they have managed to save all the races and run them during the remaining days of the festival.
I can understand why they didn't put the days racing back a day as you do get a few runners engaged at Cheltenham or who even run at the meeting turning up at Uttoxeter's big day on Sat ( used to be a nightmare writing the preview and predicting who was going to go where lol).
I think in fairness the best decision has been reached for all concerned and while it may not suit everybody -and I can imagine they may be some withdrawals because of this - I don't think anyone can truly moan about the situation especially as we lost the whole meeting during foot and mouth in 2001.
We should all thank our lucky stars that common sense has prevailed this time around especially as I for one was not in agreement of all the abandonments due to foot and mouth 7 years ago!
Caz

silversox

Visit site
What an en-lightening piece above from 'nolongeramember'.

Yes, I think it was the right decision to make and I do feel for all those people who had tickets for today, my friends, included. I fortunately went yesterday, which was a lot calmer, but even then there were rubbish bins and placards getting blown over. It wouldn't bare thinking about what would happen today if ...........

madgirl

Visit site
Whata shame but a good desision but the worst thing is now in Cheltenham we only have a gentle breeze but it was so windy this morning.

gloster_image

Visit site
(QR)
I don't think anyone was saying that it was a bad decision? Hmm anyway i'm hoping this still means that my betting slip is ok if the race is still to be run but on a different day?
Definately a good decision - the winds have just picked up here and i'm finding it difficult handling a semi fit irish sport horse, imagine trying to handle a racing fit thoroughbred!

equiweb

www.equine-help.co.uk
All bets will still stand but double check in the morning as I believe that some of the Irish horses will not be running.

I work in a bookies and tomorrow is going to be one hell of a day with a 10 race card at Cheltenham plus normal races.

Its actually 10 races tomorrow and 9 on friday