Cheltenham Day 1

McGrools

Visit site
What a fab first day! The irish are on the back foot.
Loving seeing Nico animated!
Chuffed for Nicky Henderson, he gives his all. I really hope Shishkin carries on the roll tmrw xx

Clodagh

Visit site
I got home from work early. What an amazing day. Love Nico. He’s some jockey.
Honeysuckle was awesome, I think if Epatante had jumped the last clean she’d have gone close but H was always the winner.
Constitution Hill never looked like he had to put any effort in, he’s a horse and a half. Edward stone was great, so pleased for connections.
Corach Rambler just wow, last to first. It looked like the rest were pulling up.
And the very best thing. The Fat Flicker didn’t win anything, long may that continue. (He’s not getting talked about much either, is he?). Couldn’t happen to a more unpleasant creature.

Smitty

Visit site
Maybe but there is a theory that you can run the greatness out of them so they don't pass it on to their offspring. Kenny is building up his team of mares specifically to breed his own now down in Ayrshire so it will be interesting to see what they do now she has 3 Irish and Cheltenham Champion Hurdles to her name.

That is so interesting. I can't see how that can happen, surely the genetics must play the greatest part

Crazy_cat_lady

Visit site
Shall we have one more was a lovely looking horse, horrible he was a fatality

Reading the in running comments on racing post make me angry, sounds like he should have been pulled up

"hampered by faller 3 out, soon dropped to last and struggling, no chance when fell last, fatally injured"

Why not pull him up?

I'm another who can't stand GE, and hope he doesn't win a single race. Petty I know but there we go!

Honeysuckle is fantastic.

Why are they showing so little of the horses, we only seem to see them at the start Why can't they show them in the paddock I'd far rather that than the flipping fashion sections they usually show. I love when they do their "where are they now" segments I'd like to see more of them. How about more hat cam footage, including on the gallops- what routine do they follow etc.

Visit site
Question for Elf where do the enormous Irish contingent of horses get stabled or do they constantly shuttle them in and out??

I think they stable most of them at Aintree and just have that days runners at Cheltenham itself. So they shuttle back and forth for the big teams - Mullins, Elliot and De Bromhead. The ones with only a handful stay at Chetlenham.

Visit site
Shall we have one more was a lovely looking horse, horrible he was a fatality

Reading the in running comments on racing post make me angry, sounds like he should have been pulled up

"hampered by faller 3 out, soon dropped to last and struggling, no chance when fell last, fatally injured"

Why not pull him up?

I'm another who can't stand GE, and hope he doesn't win a single race. Petty I know but there we go!

Honeysuckle is fantastic.

Why are they showing so little of the horses, we only seem to see them at the start Why can't they show them in the paddock I'd far rather that than the flipping fashion sections they usually show. I love when they do their "where are they now" segments I'd like to see more of them. How about more hat cam footage, including on the gallops- what routine do they follow etc.

If you are on Facebook we have been doing a bit of an insight into what goes on behind the scenes getting ready for the meeting, what goes in the truck etc. Look for Lucinda Russell Racing. I can't seem to link to our page as an admin ? so a link to one of our posts instead.

https://fb.watch/bMDL3eXVJd/

I know people don't like Elliot but Camilla did a great video on the kit they take. A 2 stalls just for all their kit! All the buckets, pads etc and I was laughing at Jaimie saying she would be so incredibly envious of their bridle rack ?? I will see if I can find it.

https://fb.watch/bMDFDl6HTs/

Crazy_cat_lady

Visit site
If you are on Facebook we have been doing a bit of an insight into what goes on behind the scenes getting ready for the meeting, what goes in the truck etc. Look for Lucinda Russell Racing. I can't seem to link to our page as an admin ? so a link to one of our posts instead.

https://fb.watch/bMDL3eXVJd/

I know people don't like Elliot but Camilla did a great video on the kit they take. A 2 stalls just for all their kit! All the buckets, pads etc and I was laughing at Jaimie saying she would be so incredibly envious of their bridle rack ?? I will see if I can find it.

https://fb.watch/bMDFDl6HTs/

Thank you that was really interesting, could you do one on what happens after a race eg the care they get etc/ the cooling off process/ the checks that are done? See I'd much rather stuff like that than flipping betting or fashion!

I love Corach's half blaze!

Is someone responsible for packing all that kit themselves? Is it piled to one side then checked by someone else to make sure everything is there. Didnt realise you had to pack the jockeys silks, i thought for some reason the jockey did that.

Another interesting video would be getting ready for a race eg when do you go to the pre parade, getting tacked up etc

I like seeing the videos of the retired former champions parading i know some were there today but nor sure if ITV showed them?

Visit site
If your on FB there are pics and videos on the group Racehorses, Where Are They Now.

I'm not sure Duffers will be up for doing much of an after race at Cheltenham tomorrow with Hank but I will be at Hexham on Thursday so can do one then. I know it's not a big meeting but the after care is the same.

Duffers usually packs all the kit. Even if I am the one going she still packs it all for me ?? she can't help herself, it's a little bit of OCD on her part!

The yards keep the silks because you might not always have the same jockeys on the horses or jockeys from your yard. So we have great big racks full of colours.

OrangeAndLemon

Afraid of exorcism
Visit site
I imagine it is a superstition developed by the fact that very few mares beget a foal as good as them? Stallions have more chances maybe?
I remember some research a while ago which found that a stallion sired his best, most successful foals while he was very young. I wonder if it's the same with mares; her best most, strongest eggs are produced in her first few years of fertility.

McGrools

Visit site
I remember some research a while ago which found that a stallion sired his best, most successful foals while he was very young. I wonder if it's the same with mares; her best most, strongest eggs are produced in her first few years of fertility.
I’ve seen somewhere recently that a sports horse stud thinks that the 3/4 year old mares produce better offspring. A lot are now bred from before being broken and pursuing a ridden career.

Visit site
I don't drink. Never have, never will. I might wear loads of alcohol branded clothing but I never drink the stuff! Plus I have spent day off ?? doing the yard Facebook page ?? we always make sure to at least 'like' every comment as we do value our followers and we like to include them as much as possible with the behind the scenes stuff.

And we have another runners tomorrow! Ahoy Senor in the 2nd race.

nagblagger

Visit site
Just visited your web page (trying to work out which one is you) then i found my new toy boy, the farrier Greg !:p:D;)

I wonder how many others will now go to the staff team page....

Visit site
Just visited your web page (trying to work out which one is you) then i found my new toy boy, the farrier Greg !:p:D;)

Ah most people know exactly who I am as my username was my initials before I changed for Xmas a few years ago. You have joined since then ?

Greg has a younger brother, Jack, who is also a farrier along with their father Dougie. Their sister is a very promising young show jumper up here.

Crazy_cat_lady

Visit site

Of course I didn't.... ;)

I wouldn't mind a closer look at Paul the race planner and Steven the assistant trainer. Connor the apprentice is rather nice but probably about 12 years younger than me ?

palo1

Visit site
Honeysuckle is just extraordinary; brilliantly well made, beautiful and mega talented. I hope she goes to stud really! Disappointed with Appreciate It today tbh though. Nothing however can eclipse the joy of watching Honeysuckle and Rachel Blackmore. :)

Crazy_cat_lady

Visit site
If your on FB there are pics and videos on the group Racehorses, Where Are They Now.

I'm not sure Duffers will be up for doing much of an after race at Cheltenham tomorrow with Hank but I will be at Hexham on Thursday so can do one then. I know it's not a big meeting but the after care is the same.

Duffers usually packs all the kit. Even if I am the one going she still packs it all for me ?? she can't help herself, it's a little bit of OCD on her part!

The yards keep the silks because you might not always have the same jockeys on the horses or jockeys from your yard. So we have great big racks full of colours.

Ooh yes please to a behind the scenes post race at Hexham! Isnt it Hexham you disapprove of or is it another course?

I'd have to have a written list and cross everything off then go through it again to check I hadnt missed anything I'm not surprised she's ocd ? has anything ever been forgotten?

That makes sensible about needing the silks to hand for whatever jockey is chosen, are they easily washed? Sometimes they look completely ruined.

Spotherisk

Visit site
I was at Cheltenham today, my first time at a big race meet, it was such a great day! Constitution Hill was a winner for me and I had a few placings. We were a group of 12 and really enjoyed the whole time we were there, that roar and the crowd chanting.

bonny

Visit site
I was at Cheltenham today, my first time at a big race meet, it was such a great day! Constitution Hill was a winner for me and I had a few placings. We were a group of 12 and really enjoyed the whole time we were there, that roar and the crowd chanting.
Just read that Constitution Hill is the highest rated novice hurdler ever !