Cheltenham Friday Thread

Mariposa

Visit site
I'm sad it's almost over for another year!

But we still have the Triumph and The Gold Cup!!

I was pleased to get Beltor at 12/1 for the Triumph....I need a decent winner, I've only had places all week!!

Love

Visit site
I'll be in a lecture when the gold cup is on! Don't normally have a bet unless I'm actually at the meet or its the national but tempted to for the gold cup, was there yesterday and really got into the spirit, amazing day out. Who's everyone backing? I like the sound of Holywell I think

L&M

Visit site
I will be doing the school run…..will be recording the Gold cup so just pray I do not hear the results before I get home!

I fancy Coneygree, as am always a sucker for a story, and the underdog - I just hope he likes the going as very wet here overnight.

Hope all horses get home safely x

Last edited:

Mariposa

Visit site
Holywell each way is worth it according to Ted Walsh! I've got my money on Coneygree, Bobs Worth ( soft spot for him!) and I got On His Own in the office sweepstake!

Visit site
Lord Windemere looked very well yesterday faffing about with Jimmy on the gallops.

My fear for Coneygree is that it is a year too soon and will break him mentally.

They got 5mm of rain last night which will have given the ground a nice top to it. It was quite dead yesterday but there is no significant going change really.

I'm rooting for McCoy to win his last Gold Cup!

Eta - just seen on RP that Tom Weston has 2 punctured lungs but not lasting head damage. Thank goodness for that!

Last edited:
Visit site
Good news re Tom Weston :)

How are your two this morning EKW?

They are good thanks :) Tired and a little stiff but that's to be expected but they have eaten up and are bright and happy so that's the main thing!

A pic for today - Lord Windermere out on the gallop yesterday morning. Just an easy lob but he looked fantastic! When the horse behind cantered past on the grass I did half fear for Jimmy Culloty when Lord W had a wee spaz attack lol!

Lord%20W_zpsbmpj8mmw.jpg

Chiffy

Visit site
Last afternoon on the sofa. Doesn't it go quickly!

As you know, I don't bet but still follow certain horses. If Coneygree doesn't win ( which would be wonderful) I do hope the experience does him no harm.
McCoy would be another fantastic story. There are a few I would be quite happy with though.

Enjoy everyone.

Visit site
I've just put a 50p each way 6 horse accumulator on the biggest priced horse in each race at Cheltenham - potential winnings - £233 BILLION! Such a shame if they all came in the most you would see of that is 1 million :(

Rock On the outsiders!!!

amage

Visit site
Eek can't believe we're at Gold Cup day already. I really hope Carlingford Lough does the business...he's trained local to us and the Kielys are fantastic people. We've galloped a good bit in John's and he is so encouraging and helpful. Really like Dicosimo in the first

armchair_rider

Visit site
How is it the last day already?

I won't be having a bet (I rarely do) but I'm a Many Clouds fan. I hope Coneygree runs well, or at least doesn't get too fried. I'm always a bit suspicious of the effects of long races round Cheltenham on young horses though I suppose Sun Alliance winners generally go on to have good careers. But I think running Coneygree in the Gold Cup is a reasonable decision, it's probably safer than the novice races and might be run at a more sensible pace (and you wouldn't fancy waiting til next year's Gold Cup and having to take on the Mullins pair)

Exploding Chestnuts

Visit site
I've managed to avoid all winning bets but one, my account is still reasonably healthy but my lucky 15 missed the mark with a non runner and only one winner.
I think I will stick with colours I recognise, three tiny bets on the first.

amage

Visit site
Me too. And who was riding him in the clip? Not a jockey, that's for sure . . .

P

??? not sure what you mean

Absolutely thrilled for Adrian Heskin on Martello Tower. A few years back when he was still Michael Hourigan's stable jockey I rode in a charity race at the Punchestown Festival on a horse Michael trained. Heskin gave me so much advice and help and was such a lovely guy it's great to see him in a high profile job with good horses to ride.

Visit site
I think they did a feature with the 4 Nichols horses (havent watched the racing so far today!) In which they had their new riders on so it would have been Laura Collette on Kauto.

Kadastorm

Visit site
Won't get to watch the gold cup but placed an each way bet on Lord windermere, bobs worth and because I had 14p randomly on the account, a 7p each way on the 100-1 shot lol!

Exploding Chestnuts

Visit site
Jim Culloty, gosh its hard to listen to some of these Irish lads [well he's not a lad any longer]. Lord Windermere looks to be over excited, this is the problem for some of them, the noise is ridiculous!
Noel Fehily looks calm on the 3/1 fav, not sure about the ground
CONEYGREE fantastic performance, beautiful jumping

Last edited:

armchair_rider

Visit site
I think they did a feature with the 4 Nichols horses (havent watched the racing so far today!) In which they had their new riders on so it would have been Laura Collette on Kauto.

It looked like Charlotte Alexander on Denman but I have no idea who was on the other three. Nice feature though, well done C4

scotlass

Visit site
Fabulous round of front running from a novice horse. All credit to everyone involved with him for having the faith in him taking on such a challenge against more experienced horses.

Chiffy

Visit site
Wow! Brilliant! So good to have a dream come true! Hope Lord Oaksey is looking down.

I did NOT stay sitting on the sofa!! I thought Ruby was going to come and spoil it.

frostyfingers

Visit site
In town this morning the butcher asked for my tip, I said Coneygree, came home and didn't put anything on! I'd better get a discount next week.... What a fantastic result, absolutely thrilling race and so nice for a proper "old fashioned" set up to win, home bred, small yard, not such a big name jockey. Fabulous jumping, so neat with his front legs, a real star - I hope his legs last so we can see more of him.