Cheltenham Gag - One Rein

sollimum

Visit site
Is it ok to use a Cheltenham gag with one rein?

Our much loved pony has come home and is trying to shoot off in open spaces, which he never did before. He has learnt to go once he hits grass, something which I am sure he has picked up out on loan. He is well schooled and currently ridden out in a pelham but it has a bit of a delayed reaction so by the time smallest daughter has pulled him up, his adrenaline is up and he starts bucking. He is schooled in a snaffle. Saddle teeth and back all done since he came home, he is genuinely wound up and over the top with excitement.

So thought we would try a Cheltenham gag as a short term measure to remind him of his manners but don't think daughter could cope with two reins in those circumstances? Thank you.

sportsmansB

Visit site
I had a strong mare I rode in a running gag with one rein
The trick is knowing to give again as soon as you pull, it has to be a take and release - so it depends how competent your daughter is really

I know some people will think its wrong but it worked so well for me that in the end I didn't need it and could jump / xc in a snaffle- and originally she was bogging off with my (olympian) trainer lol

They don't work with every horse, effective with those who drop head or tuck into chest and bog off, rather than those who chuck it up in the air...

Fiona

Visit site
There are a couple of strong ponies (owned by under 10 riders) in our PC ridden in this bit (one rein), and none of the very experienced instructors seems to have thrown up their hands in horror...

I used it on my very strong welsh cob when I first had him many moons ago, and it worked well for him, like above I was eventually able to ride him in a snaffle bit.

Fiona

sollimum

Visit site
Thanks both. She has very soft hands and so this may work. He tucks his head to his chest, thinks about bucking and then runs.

Melody Grey

Visit site
I've used Cheltenham gags successfully on strong horses in the past but only ever with a single rein. Just make sure the leathers or chords running through run freely enough through the eyes on the bit rings so that the check and release action can work effectively....can cause more problems if not.

Woody50

Visit site
Ive ridden two of mine in a cheltenham gag with one rein. My last boy was brilliant in it but one day for some reason i thought i would be kind and use 2 reins. Bad move - we ended up with 24 time penalties XC cos i couldnt stop and had to keep doing huge loops to get him organised