Chemo - is it worth putting a dog through it ?

BallyJ

Visit site
Thank you all for your kind comments, so sorry to read that you've all been through some tough times with your dogs. But your comments and experiences have really helped.

Ive spoken to the vets today, and they have confirmed that he does have anal gland cancer. They have said that from the symptoms he is exhibiting its does suggest that it has spread. But have still suggested surgery to remove the gland. I don't want to put him through it, so have suggested we give him some pain relief until ive had time to talk it through with the family. The vets have suggested to keep going with the onsior and add in some paracetomol. If he doesn't perk up over the weekend then we can try some steroids. they want to try the paracetomol first as they are worried about him putting weight on with steroids.

Part of me wants to do the scan /xrays to see if it has spread, will it make a difference to the outcome, I don't know. Can they do scans/xrays without sedating him ? Ive said I will ring back on Monday to discuss next steps

Just with regards to the scans, we had scans to see if/where the cancer had spread and this massively helped to put my mind at rest. I knew 100% with no doubt we made the right decision, however difficult it was!
I'm really sorry that this wasn't the result you wanted. Definitely take a day or 2 to come to terms and decide the best way forward xx

jedjelly

Visit site
I'm so sorry to read about your boy. I was in the process of typing out a reply regarding my experiences of Chemo in dogs but read your update before finishing. Very sad news for you both.
Having owned Rottweilers for decades we have sadly experienced a broad range of cancers and have used Chemo twice. I would use it again if need be, but only if the cancer was one that responded well. Not all do. On both occasions we used it, neither dog was bothered by the treatment and they appeared to have minimal side effects. I would only use it to prolong quality life for a dog, I wouldn't use it to keep a large breed up on three legs for example. The doses used in dogs doesn't cure, but aims for remission or slows growth.

Equi

Visit site
So sorry to read this. Due to the location of the tumor i personally would not operate, it could be very painful for him to defecate which could lead to other issues etc..I would give him the time you can now and let him tell you when he is ready. Hugs to you

silv

Visit site
I am terribly sorry you are facing this with your lovely boy. I personally wouldn't put a dog through chemo. I would be doing what I could to enjoy the time he has left whilst still feeling reasonably OK then let him go. I really feel for you, I would be heartbroken in your situation as I am sure you are.