Chester Zoo

Mule

Visit site
If you look at the size of a stable in relation to the size of a horse it does make you think. There's a touch of battery hen- like conditions for horses who are stabled 24/7. I don't mean to be provocative with the comparison but it's an uncomfortable thought. Especially when when you think that what we call stable vices are actually stress related behaviours :(

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
To be honest I can't see the difference between zoos and how we keep horses...

Chester is a good zoo which is conservation focused. The elephants, for example, get their food hidden in a wall and they have to work to find it. They have a big enclosure, a pool to bath in and a shower to go under when the weather is hot. They breed there and the sight of the young ones playing in the pool is a joy.

Of course they should be in the wild, but if they are being killed for their tusks then I'd rather they were in a zoo like Chester. And I'd keep any animal like Chester does before I'd keep a horse in most livery yards in winter, and many all year round.

Bellaboo18

Visit site
Chester is a good zoo which is conservation focused. The elephants, for example, get their food hidden in a wall and they have to work to find it. They have a big enclosure, a pool to bath in and a shower to go under when the weather is hot. They breed there and the sight of the young ones playing in the pool is a joy.

Of course they should be in the wild, but if they are being killed for their tusks then I'd rather they were in a zoo like Chester. And I'd keep any animal like Chester does before I'd keep a horse in most livery yards in winter, and many all year round.

I hope you've not misunderstood my post, as I love Chester Zoo. We've been going since I can remember. I also enjoy watching their TV series. I'll be supporting them as and where I can in this sad time. I was just replying to Frumpoon.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I hope you've not misunderstood my post, as I love Chester Zoo. We've been going since I can remember. I also enjoy watching their TV series. I'll be supporting them as and where I can in this sad time. I was just replying to Frumpoon.

I did think you meant zoos were wrong, I'm glad you don't. I do have an issue with a lot of livery yards though!

Bellaboo18

Visit site
I did think you meant zoos were wrong, I'm glad you don't. I do have an issue with a lot of livery yards though!

Totally agree. I'd rather see an animal in Chester Zoo than on a lot of livery yards. I suppose my comparison was questioning Frumpoons view. If that's how she sees Zoos, I wonder how naturally her horses are kept?

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Brilliant news!

We’ll delay visiting for a while though, as the zoo already has our money from membership and adoption fees. They will currently only be able to admit about 3,000 people a day, a fifth of their usual capacity, due to coronavirus restrictions. They will need continued support to stay afloat with such a drop in visitor numbers - 97% of their income comes from visitors.

Coronavirus: Chester Zoo warns pandemic 'left massive scar' https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-52995414

Lexi_

Visit site
I have been wondering if it is this sort of misguided opinion that is behind this rididculous policy of not allowing zoos to open to the public, despite the fact that IKEA can open.

It was a weird bit of very badly worded government policy wording back in May about outdoor ticketed leisure venues being barred from opening. Some lobbied and got an exemption (NT, RSPB, RHS and other gardens) but zoos and safari parks weren’t included. I assume either they have now got their exemption or the public pressure has meant a change in policy wording!

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
It might be a good idea to head to the further parts of the zoo first thing after entering, and work through the site backwards, a bit like walking the XC courses at Badminton/ Burghley in reverse fence order. Looks like, despite the restricted numbers, it did get rather crowded in places.

The elephants are near to the entrance and are always popular.

724B0FC3-6BCC-46ED-A2C9-A954EDD2DDC7.jpeg