Chestnut foal turning roan???

brookekryan07

New User
Visit site
Hi, has anyone had a yearling foal (1yr 1month) start to have white specks in there coat. My filly I have is a chestnut paint with white socks on her hind legs and she’s starting to get little white specks all in her coat her mum is a bay and dad is a black and white tabino. I just want to see people horses as foals being a solid colour and turning into a roan

TPO

Visit site
My horse's grandsire is a red roan, he and his sire are chesnut but he does have a lot of white hairs through his coat. In no way close to a roan and you can only see them up close but they're there.

They disappear in his winter coat (including a clump of them above his tail) but reappear each summer and There seems to be more each summer. He's only 9 so not oap greys!

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
Both of my chestnuts have white flecks in their coats. Neither are true roans as they don't have the Roan gene. It is more Sabino-ish type flecking. The gelding has a strong roany spot on one elbow that he wasn't born with. It just came in with one coat change and has stayed although it is easier to see in his summer coat.

PurBee

Visit site
My gelding as a foal, born dark bay, at 12-18 months roaned-out - at 5 dapple grey with roan colouring in his winter coat. Now 9 he’s less dapple grey, less roan, blackish legs - it shall be interesting what his winter coat looks like this year.

His dam, all black - sire grey.

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
I can add photos but the flecks don't really show up in pics, they are much easier to see in real life.

Prince3.jpgPrince-easter2014.jpgPrince_Floss_hayfeeder.jpg

As you can see, he just looks chestnut in photos, but when you look closely at his coat there are white hairs all through it.

Roasted Chestnuts

Visit site
My chestnut is going very roan with this winter coat change. He’s three and has always had some lighter patches around elbows and joints and he has a flash on his tummy but this winters coat change has a lot or roaning in it.

I’m excited to see how much he ends up with and what colour he ends up ?

JJS

Visit site
If she doesn’t have a roan parent, she can’t be roan herself. It’s more likely there’s a sabino-type pattern at play. Do you have any pictures?

brookekryan07

New User
Visit site
I can’t find a great body picture this is literally the best one I could find cause she likes getting muddy lmao. But this is one where I didn’t really notice her white specks.
4590F04B-0D6A-4C92-AC00-2C4727E37E16.jpeg