chestnut mares..?

BroadfordQueen

Visit site
Me and a friend are having a debate. She says she would NEVER even consider buying one, whereas it wouldn't really bother me at all if it ticked every other box. Plus I like a horse with abit of something about them!
grin.gif

So who here has a chestnut mare? Is yours stereotypical? Also include pics
grin.gif

And who here would never touch one with a barge pole?
grin.gif

JustKickOn

Visit site
I don't own/ never have owned a chestnut mare (or a horse for that matter!) but have ridden a few. Two were a bit bonkers but alot of fun, and the other one I rode was 110% bombproof and alot of fun!

I'd still consider buying one
laugh.gif

peterthepony

www.bebo.com
I used to think the same as your friend, then I bought a little 13.2 mare called Tuppence crazy little thing but would never do anything to hurt you! I have no problems with them to be honest, look at Hattie she is a prime expamle of a nice chestnut mare!

Taboo1968

Visit site
I used to have a chestnut mare who was an absolute diamond! i've owned Bay mares that have been far worse and have seen quite a few dlightful specimens in a range of colours that could put a chestnut mare to shame with their behaviour! I dont think it has anything to do with colour!!! But I hasten to add, I have more geldings than mares!!!

jess_asterix

Visit site
its a stupid old tale that is.
I had one (Evie) and she was wicked, did the job we bought her for.
To me as long a s your horse trust you, they'll do anything for you!
i would have another one, although i do prefer geldings!

siennamum

Visit site
No.1 current mare:

recent mare:

I can understand people not wanting a mare about the place, or getting on better with geldings, though it makes no difference to me.

I am quite happy for people to have stupid prejudices against chestnuts mares generally as then there are more about for me!!

To descriminate against an animals because of colour is just thick imo, though I would be influenced by colour if I think one colour is prettier than another, not because I believe in old wives tales tho.

welshstar

Visit site
I would buy a chestnut mare, but probably be more aware just because of the stereotype.
I have ridden a 17.2hh chestnut warmblood mare. To be honest before i started riding her i was apprehensive but she was a dream to ride. I rode her for a number of months and she was so laid back, quiet and bombproof. But also because of good jumping lines she had a cracking jump, jumped 3ft3 like nothing. I was only little on her (barely past flaps on jumping stirrups) yet i could ride her in a snaffle, jumping jumps in an open field! If only i could buy her
laugh.gif
Also she was not atall marish!!

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t34/lauren_mathia/PICT1875.jpg
l_988bde928f132551c567d25d72ea22d7.jpg

l_3d0bdcbb1c833563e18df13ebb8bea9d.jpg

MendipMagician

Visit site
I have a chestnut mare, she may not be the worlds friendliest horse but she will always try her heart out (mayb getting her knickers in a twist on the way!). she always wants 2 b the best and she neva gives up trying, i would buy another 1. Shes quite unsettled sometimes in her stables but i am 100% psitive shes b like that if she was a gelding!

_jetset_

Visit site
I own a chestnut mare and she is an absolute angel... she is not marey, stroppy or argumentative. She is so easy to do, is one of the most willing horses I have ever ridden and is such an affectionate girl
smile.gif

mariond

Visit site
Yes please lets see lots of support for chestnut mares ! as my bay mare ) X with a piebald stallion) bred one this year. She seems quite laid back in fact far more laid back than her bay mother who shot off to the back of the barn when she saw me carrying a worming syringe just now ! I was initially a bit disappointed as I knew she will be harder to sell than if she had been a coloured filly despite the fact that her confirmation is better than her 2 year old skewbald sister
I did own a chestnut mare about 20 years ago who was a dream to ride, bomproof in traffic but a nightmare to handle on the ground she would just flip her head and shoulders to one side sharply making it impossible to keep hold of her. There wasn't all the different types of control headcollars in those days otherwise we might have been able to sort it. She also refused to load in a trailer. I ended up selling her after she got loose on me and cantered up a very twisty B road. I was just so relieved that she hadn't hurt anyone. Though she had hit the guy who caught her with her head and made his nose bleed ! Just as well he kept racehorses or he might have let her go again. Anyway I think that was just her and nothing to do with her colour.

welshstar

Visit site
Also forgot to add she is also lovely on the ground, polite and so affectionate! You could stand there all day rubbing her and she'd always be nuzzling...oh shes lovely! If only she was about 2 hands smaller then she be absoloutly perfect!!

Troggy

Visit site
I do! And she is your typical chstnut mare! Although I wouldn't change her for the world. We do a bit of everthing.
You asked for photos...!

XC
1158434992057069594S425x425Q85.jpg

Showing
2659323130057069594S425x425Q85.jpg

Toff being a chestnut mare!
2727232760057069594S425x425Q85.jpg

Dressage
2784816460057069594S425x425Q85.jpg

Jumping at home (2ft 9)
2268645930057069594S425x425Q85.jpg

blush.gif
Shocking cat leap at Keysoe 85cm SJ (we were eliminated shortly afterwards...pony wasn't playing ball that day!!)
2527429510057069594S425x425Q85.jpg

Hack on Xmas day 2007
smile.gif

2915495480057069594S425x425Q85.jpg

So that's a short selection of what my chestnut mare does. I will also add she bites, kicks, has brake intermittant brake failure, occasionally naps and is bad in traffic! She's also 17. She is brill though and wouldn't change her for anything, I think chestnut mares are fab
grin.gif

ann-jen

Visit site
I love mares - my current one is bay but my previous one was bright chestnut with not a fleck of white on her. She was a total star - hacked out in all weathers with her ears pricked and happy to do what ever you asked of her. Had pretty decent flat work and would pop anything up to about 3'. Sadly she was killed in a road accident when we were out hacking or I'm sure she'd of gone far. She had nothing of the stereotype about her which I think is just an old wives tale. My current bay mare is definitely more of a challenge as you have to think all the time when riding her whereas the chestnut was a lot more forgiving of my mistakes - LOL.

AgentM

www.princess-sparklepants.co.uk
Gosh! It's almost like some strange horse racism!! I used to ride a chestnut mare. She was safe as houses, but would go through stages of totally ignoring what I told her to do, and would do it her way. Yo be fair, she knew better than me, but thats not the point!! x

Thistle

Visit site
I prefer mares and have owned 2 'orange' ones. One was a complete sweetie I had her for 18 years until she was PTS this summer. The other was a fab 2nd pony, brilliant to ride but a bit of a tiger on the ground. Once you knew how to handle her she was a pussy cat.

Joya

Visit site
I own a chestnut mare, and she tends to live up to the stereotype, but I do love her and that's what makes her special, she definitley has spirit if nothing else
tongue.gif

Really though, I do love her and now we have each others trust I feel we're really well suited and she would do anything for me as long as I pressed the right buttons.

mossy

Visit site
i would buy a chestnut mare if it did the job i wanted it for. However if i was buying to sell it would put me off a bit purely because of the stereo type attitude that might make re-sale more difficult.
I think that quirky horses can be any colour or gender!!!

jhoward

Demon exorcist...
Visit site
yep i hane, she is a classic chestnut mare in every way, u name me a vice she has it! but alot of stems back to her being badly treated as a baby. she has a attitude, she has a opinion, but she also has class!

lilpinkdonkey4

Visit site
I Have a beautiful chestnut mare who is not mareish, stroppy or typically ginger in any way!

She does however suffur from skin irritations and is generally quite sensitive (also when you ride but this is fab as when you know how quiet you can be she is a dream to ride). Has anyone else found that chestnut mares can have particularly sensitive skin? Ive heard that they can have thinner skin than other colours due to the pigmentation... is this true?

Bonita

X

xspiralx

I think its a ridiculous stereotype! I don't think a chestnut mare is any different to any other kind of mare!

I've owned a chestnut mare and she was a sweetie. Yes, she could be stroppy, but I don't think thats because of her colour, just having the odd mare moment!

Merlotmonster

Visit site
Merlot was a chestnut mare. She could be a nutter but was the best cross country horse I have ever sat on. She was the kindest horse to handle as well and I loved her to bits

MerlotatNursteadCourtPN.jpg
- This was her at her first ever PN
PICT1143.jpg

Her in the snow..

Daisychain

Visit site
I have owned many chestnut mares, and apart from one they were all lovely, 2 of them were very genuine and TB aswell! Wouldnt bother me in the slightest, the worst horses i have ever ridden were a bay gelding and a grey gelding, totally nuts...

Ottinmeg

www.equestrianimage.com
ive had a couple of chestnut mares in my time and they were all fine,although my friend hacked one out alone once and came back saying she was never riding her again, so what she did i dont know! my last chestnut mare was my 10.2hh shetland and she is a diamond! another livery bought her as a companion to her horse and every now and again the liveries kids get plonked on her for a jolly round the yard.

kerilli

Visit site
the one second right in my siggy is the first foal i ever bred, and totally changed my mind about them. the sweetest, easiest horse i've ever known. never mareish (never knew when she was in season!), never naughty, never sensitive, never took the p***. a totally sweet, genuine, brave and easy horse to do in every way.
i love chestnut mares, because they're cheaper cos numpties avoid them!
wink.gif

i've had more trouble with bay geldings than with ch mares, and that's the absolute truth.

reddie

Visit site
I had a chesnut mare many years ago. i had her for about nine years until she died when she was in mid twenties. She was queen bee in the field. She was a pleasure to ride and great fun.

volatis

www.volatis.co.uk
I've had plenty of chestnut mares, some have been sharp, some have been laid back, bugger all to do with colour, thats just horses for you. They are more difficult to sell because of this silly preconception. I bred a stunning liver chestnut filly this year who is not going anywhere, she's perfect and I'm thrilled she's chestnut and not boring bay :lol:

My mother and boss dont like black horses as when they were young people used to say black horses had a nasty streak and that myth has stuck with them