Chestnut or bay?

paddi22

Visit site
My vote would be light bay. I wouldn't class anything with black points as chestnut, but could be wrong?!

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
does he have a black mane and tail OP? I think I can see a pale tuft at his bottom.

I ask because I am wondering if he has the silver gene which will cause dilution of the black points on the legs. Wild bays tend to have the black restricted with how far it goes up the leg but you would usually expect the lower legs to still be black/darker than they are on that photo - as shown on the link above.

naomibmck

Visit site
does he have a black mane and tail OP? I think I can see a pale tuft at his bottom.

I ask because I am wondering if he has the silver gene which will cause dilution of the black points on the legs. Wild bays tend to have the black restricted with how far it goes up the leg but you would usually expect the lower legs to still be black/darker than they are on that photo - as shown on the link above.

He sort of does, but there are brown, grey and chestnut streaks in his mane- I think some of it is old age!
https://photos.app.goo.gl/nnqut2xW5s8kupD9A that's his mane

Caracarrie

Visit site
When I first got my mare, on her certificate the vet put that she was bay, but actually she was chestnut (ginger biscuit colour) with blonde feathers, and a black mane and tail. After the first couple of summers, her mane went body coloured, but her tail remained darker, with some silver and gold strands underneath. She had a very faint dorsal stripes some years, and dapples. She was a different colour in winter and summer coats, and her summer colour was never the same twice. She always did like to be different! I believe her sort of colouring is unique to the Welsh breeds.