Cheval Liberte trailers

conniegirl

Visit site
I sold my lorry at the weekend and am now looking at buying a second hand single horse trailer. I only have experience of Ifor williams trailers but I've seen a Cheval Liberte single horse trailer advertised for sale, it is relativly close to me, it is a good price and I wouldn't have to do my trailer test.

Does anyone have any reviews (PM me if you want) or things I need to look out for?
Also do you know how much it would cost to replace the floor either with an aluminium one or another wood one?

conniegirl

Visit site
What is the GVW of your car ?
What is the plated MAM on the trailer ?
according to the plate on the door frame the GVW of the car is 2070Kg,
I'm looking at a Cheval Liberte 1003XL which according to the trailer plate has a MAM of 1400kg and an unladen weight of 550kg.

I have one 400kg (if he is feeling particularly obese that day, probably more like 350kg) pony to transport.

I think my sums are right and we will be fine to tow on a B license.

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
I had that model and I loved it-lovely to tow, everything loaded and travelled well in it, really easy to manouvre even by hand if needed. If I sell the lorry I will be looking for another Cheval if I can find one locally this time. Don't know how much to replace floor though -I went down south and got mine from the dealership in Yorkshire so they might be able to quote you?

chaps89

Visit site
The 2007 models had quite major problems with the floors - there was a massive thread on here about it which might be worth reading through.
Not sure how old the one you're looking at is but thought I'd mention it.

conniegirl

Visit site
The 2007 models had quite major problems with the floors - there was a massive thread on here about it which might be worth reading through.
Not sure how old the one you're looking at is but thought I'd mention it.
it is a 2007 model with a wooden floor, I will be doubly sure to check it and will search for the thread, thankyou.

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
it is a 2007 model with a wooden floor, I will be doubly sure to check it and will search for the thread, thankyou.

from memory it was the type of ply that they used for a batch, some people had trouble getting Cheval to replace it. The other thing is the mesh 'top door' as its obviously not weather proof so careful check for any rot but in a 12yo trailer I'd be very thorough regardless of make.

conniegirl

Visit site
from memory it was the type of ply that they used for a batch, some people had trouble getting Cheval to replace it. The other thing is the mesh 'top door' as its obviously not weather proof so careful check for any rot but in a 12yo trailer I'd be very thorough regardless of make.

I do have a protimeter that I will be taking with me so will be able to tell if anything is damp or rotten even if it looks fine

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
With a trailer that old, it’s best to factor in replacing the floor anyway as part of the deal. Also, how old are the tyres, and has it got a full service history. Trailers last well if they are well maintained, but a neglected one could cost ££££s to bring up to speed.

I like the sound of the CL trailers, but not the mesh rear flap that some of them have. They will let in the rain. Can they be replaced with proper rear doors?

Merlod

Visit site
I have the 4003, 2006 model and was quoted £500 for a wooden floor, £1000 for an aluminium. The rubber is sealed so we couldn't see what the floor was like until we took it in but upon taking up the rubber the floor was pristine so just had to pay to have the rubber re-sealed. So not always a horror story with older/wooden floors if they've been well looked after, but equally something I would be prepared to replace!

conniegirl

Visit site
With a trailer that old, it’s best to factor in replacing the floor anyway as part of the deal. Also, how old are the tyres, and has it got a full service history. Trailers last well if they are well maintained, but a neglected one could cost ££££s to bring up to speed.

I like the sound of the CL trailers, but not the mesh rear flap that some of them have. They will let in the rain. Can they be replaced with proper rear doors?

It was last serviced in August, from the photos I was sent of the tyres they look fairly new but I will definitely ask. I will ask how it has been stored as well

I have the 4003, 2006 model and was quoted £500 for a wooden floor, £1000 for an aluminium. The rubber is sealed so we couldn't see what the floor was like until we took it in but upon taking up the rubber the floor was pristine so just had to pay to have the rubber re-sealed. So not always a horror story with older/wooden floors if they've been well looked after, but equally something I would be prepared to replace!

Thankyou, how much was it to have the floor resealed if you don't mind me asking?

Sasana Skye

Visit site
I sold my 2007 series 2 horse Cheval Liberte in 2017 because I bought a second horse and needed something bigger. I had it for 6 years and loved it I found it really easy to work with. The man I had to service it wasn't keen on them though as they glue the rubber matting down to the floor which stops you from being able to inspect it thoroughly. It was 10 years old when the loading ramp got damp and needed to be replaced but my horse always travelled well in it.

Tarragon

Visit site
I have owned my Cheval Liberte trailer now for over 10 years and love it. It is very easy to manage which is essential if you do a lot on your own and very easy to tow (in fact I used to tow with a Mondeo!) I have the pony trailer which takes two Exmoor ponies but I also invested in the full width breeching bars so that I can take out the central partition and travel with one. It isn't a very sophisticated trailer but it has been good value.

Joyous70

Visit site
My only advice, would be check the floor if you can, or ask if it has been replaced, and also check that there is no rot between the side panels and the roof of the trailer, this is where mine started to go, the roof was starting to come away from the side panels.

ROG

Visit site
according to the plate on the door frame the GVW of the car is 2070Kg,
I'm looking at a Cheval Liberte 1003XL which according to the trailer plate has a MAM of 1400kg and an unladen weight of 550kg.

I have one 400kg (if he is feeling particularly obese that day, probably more like 350kg) pony to transport.

I think my sums are right and we will be fine to tow on a B license.
Spot on with the figures and 30kg to spare

Follysmum

Visit site
I have to say I would never buy one
My friend had one and it looked cheap and flimsy compared to Batesons, Ifor and rice etc.

Nudibranch

Visit site
I went to view one and didn't like it. Looked lovely in the photos but on close inspection there was fungus growing out of the panels and it all looked a bit flimsy. I did get very, very lucky and bought a Dutch Hotra trailer though instead, which is really spot on even for dodgy travellers. The seller was a friend of a friend and long story short had no idea what was in front of him! I was originally looking for an Ifor but will stick with continental from now on. Lovely to tow and no rattles!

phizz4

Visit site
You can check the age of the tyres by looking for this on the side of the tyre. 1559585277302.png
If they say the tyres are fairly new and they are that would suggest good maintenance, if they are older than they say it suggests poor maintenance. Also, be wary of a trailer that has stood for a long time. New tyres are around £60 each as a rough guide.

Louby

Visit site
I really didnt like the looks of the older Chevals, I think they made them for Robinsons and were re branded Requisite for them. I may be totally wrong though. The newer ones with the tack room look amazing though! Id love to see one in the flesh as I keep umming and aghhhing about going back to a trailer again.

Lintel

Visit site
I LOVE my cheval. I think it is 2014.

No complaints with it other than the back has no top doors and instead a roller mesh net thing. Its rubbish.

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
my lorry guy does a lot of trailers and the worst ones for rot are Equitreks apparently, also disintegrate to matchwood on impact from the photos I've seen. any make of trailer that old could have any number of issues (as the OP is aware).

conniegirl

Visit site
my lorry guy does a lot of trailers and the worst ones for rot are Equitreks apparently, also disintegrate to matchwood on impact from the photos I've seen. any make of trailer that old could have any number of issues (as the OP is aware).
You couldn't pay me to have an equitrek! I once went to have a look round some at a show and sliced my hand open on the partition, needed stitches! Equitrek were simply not interested other than to hirry me off thoer stand as quickly as possible

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
You can check the age of the tyres by looking for this on the side of the tyre. View attachment 33151
If they say the tyres are fairly new and they are that would suggest good maintenance, if they are older than they say it suggests poor maintenance. Also, be wary of a trailer that has stood for a long time. New tyres are around £60 each as a rough guide.
Agree, we’ve just replaced all 5 tyres on my Ifor 510 and the new tyres were indeed £60 each. The date code, though is frustratingly stamped on the inside wall of each tyre, so OP, if you can’t see a date code on the external wall, you know where to look! Do make sure that they are van tyres, not car tyres.

My trailer is a 2006 model, but because it has been well maintained since we had it from new it is in good nick. It’s going in for its annual service later this week.