Chevalier Liberte Trailers

Zaps

Visit site
Hi all,

Looking for reviews on the above trailers please?
Looking to change from my older IW505 and have seen the Cheval locally and within budget but do not know anyone that’s used one firsthand.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I was called a loading issue with one. It was a 3 horse trailer where they travelled diagonally. The horse was 16.3.

The loading issue was because the internal dimensions of the trailer was a 6'6 width, I believe. The horse took a 6'9 rug, yet was expected to get in, turn round in that space to travel slightly facing rearward on the slant. It had scared itself turning round.

When the partitions were altered so the horse loaded and travelled on a forward slant and then reversed off he became more confident as he was no longer getting stuck turning round. However, it was not ideal as the owner was not in a good position to tie the horse up and get out safetly as the partitions were designed to be used the other way round.

The build quality seemed good, if it were for a small horse.

rabatsa

Far from the madding crowd
Visit site
I have a standard two horse one and think it is great. Not as good as the Henra it replaced but then I have not found anything to compare with that. The CL tows very well and the horses travel well in it.

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
I had a mare and foal XL. absolutely loved it tbh, everything loaded and travelled well in it-it was so easy to tow (much nicer ride and tow than an Ifor). I am thinking of ditching my lorry next year and getting a trailer again and wouldnt hesitate to get another one.

Tarragon

Visit site
I have the smaller pony one, now about 10 years old and still going fine though it needed a new floor last year (cannot always keep it under cover over winter). It takes two ponies but I also later acquired the full width bars and if I am only taking one pony I tend to remove the central partition. I chose it as I was only towing with a mondeo at the time and it is one of the lightest models. This also makes it easy for a single person to handle on the ground which is a plus if you travel on your own. I like mine and when I moved my ponies on to the farm they are at now the farmer made the comment that it was a "nice little trailer" which from a typical gruff 80 odd year old farmer I took as a compliment :)

Lintel

Visit site
Love mine! I have the Pullman. It is so light, never had a problem with anyone loading. The rear ramp can be opened like a door or a ramp.
Only issue is the rolling shutter type thing in place of back doors. The rubber rings that hook it down wear and snap bit an easy replacement :)

Tarragon

Visit site
Love mine! I have the Pullman. It is so light, never had a problem with anyone loading. The rear ramp can be opened like a door or a ramp.
Only issue is the rolling shutter type thing in place of back doors. The rubber rings that hook it down wear and snap bit an easy replacement :)
Yes, I had to replace mine too; easily found replacements in a general towing shop.
Do you open the back like a door or use the ramp? I have never tried to use it as a door.

Scarlett

Visit site
I have used one previously and liked it far more than any Ifor I had used. I looked for one when I was upgrading my trailer last year and ended up buying a Sluis which is basically an identical trailer to the Cheval Liberte. Tows absolutely beautifully and is a dream to use. Horses all love it and my friends tricky loader puts himself up the ramp.

When finances allow we'll definitely buy another newer one. Wouldn't have anything else now.

alibali

Visit site
I bought one which was manufactured around 2007, they had a batch which had issues with the composite floor and mine rotted very quickly and dangerously. Having said that after a fight CL paid for the floor to be replaced by an aluminium one so I effectively got a free upgrade. I believe more recent models have moved away from this composite floor but worth checking if you are buying an older trailer. Other than that been very pleased with it. Having travelled a short distance in the back of both an Ivor and my CL I can vouch how much quieter the CL is and a smoother ride too with the Pullman suspension. Farmer love the fact you can open the back like a barn door when going to collect round bales! Had several farmers impressed with mine.

eahotson

Visit site
I have one.It was the only one light enough for my then tow car.It has been pretty good and the horse travels well in it.It will need a side panel replacing fairly soon though.

Haphazardhacker

Visit site
I have a gold one (mare and foal) and I absolutely love it. Tows beautifully and the suspension is top notch. Also love the ramp/door feature. Only downside is the curtain at the back which lets driving rain in. Even so will always choose this brand.